Distributing installers to clients - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Distributing installers to clients - Microsoft Windows ; I'm trying to find a way or an application that automatically distributes update installers to clients on a network. My clients run on domain logins without admin permissions, so it would have to be some sort of service that does ...

  1. Distributing installers to clients

    I'm trying to find a way or an application that automatically
    distributes update installers to clients on a network. My clients run
    on domain logins without admin permissions, so it would have to be some
    sort of service that does this. I'm not sure where to start on this
    topic.

    How do people deal with this issue? It used to be easy to set up a
    single copy of an app on a network drive, but most modern programs seem
    to want to be run with their own local installation. For instance I
    haven't figured out how to install a single copy of Firefox on a
    network drive so everybody can share it with their own profiles, etc.
    Am I wrong abou this?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Distributing installers to clients

    eel@javabox.com writes:

    > I'm trying to find a way or an application that automatically
    > distributes update installers to clients on a network. My clients run
    > on domain logins without admin permissions, so it would have to be some
    > sort of service that does this. I'm not sure where to start on this
    > topic.
    >
    > How do people deal with this issue? It used to be easy to set up a
    > single copy of an app on a network drive, but most modern programs seem
    > to want to be run with their own local installation. For instance I
    > haven't figured out how to install a single copy of Firefox on a
    > network drive so everybody can share it with their own profiles, etc.
    > Am I wrong abou this?

    The Windows Registry is the albatross that makes what you seek
    infeasible.

    Tivoli Software Distribution is one program that endeavors to automate
    the distribution of applications in a unifrom manner across many
    clients.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.