I really need help. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on I really need help. - Microsoft Windows ; Linux messed up my Windows XP partition (or rather, my ignorance did) so I reformatted my hardrive and downloaded Windows XP through a torrent. As luck had it, my cd-rw drive quit completely. I've checked everything, and it does not ...

  1. I really need help.

    Linux messed up my Windows XP partition (or rather, my ignorance did)
    so I reformatted my hardrive and downloaded Windows XP through a
    torrent. As luck had it, my cd-rw drive quit completely. I've checked
    everything, and it does not work.

    So my question is this, is there a way to install Windows XP from a
    cue/bin file from my hardrive in linux.

    If you don't want to answer my question because I'm a pirate, then
    please point me into the direction of a newsgroup that will.

  2. Re: I really need help.

    > Linux messed up my Windows XP partition (or rather, my ignorance did)
    > so I reformatted my hardrive and downloaded Windows XP through a
    > torrent. As luck had it, my cd-rw drive quit completely. I've checked
    > everything, and it does not work.

    A new CD drive is about 12, and a new writer is about 24

    Then you can use the original XP disc you already own without having to
    burn a dodgy duplicate.

  3. Re: I really need help.

    JonAnderson00@gmail.com writes:

    > Linux messed up my Windows XP partition (or rather, my ignorance did)
    > so I reformatted my hardrive and downloaded Windows XP through a
    > torrent. As luck had it, my cd-rw drive quit completely. I've checked
    > everything, and it does not work.
    >
    > So my question is this, is there a way to install Windows XP from a
    > cue/bin file from my hardrive in linux.

    Not that I'm aware of. You need it in a place where windows can boot
    off it. A USB memory key might be something one can try if you put
    all the files thre and your BIOS supports booting from it. Or if you
    can make your /dev/hda1 a fat32 partition and stick all the files
    there.

    but i'd just buy a new cd rom drive for cheap.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: I really need help.