Disabling Serial Port Autodetect in XP? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Disabling Serial Port Autodetect in XP? - Microsoft Windows ; Is there any way to disable serial port hardware autodetect in Windows XP? I have this old Realmagic serial DVD player remote control that I plug into my XP machine for use with Remote Selector. The problem is, Windows autodetects ...

  1. Disabling Serial Port Autodetect in XP?

    Is there any way to disable serial port hardware autodetect in Windows
    XP?

    I have this old Realmagic serial DVD player remote control that I plug
    into my XP machine for use with Remote Selector. The problem is,
    Windows autodetects it as a serial mouse--which means the signals it
    sends don't get to Remote Selector--and if I manually disable it,
    signals don't come in through the port at all. The only way I can
    make it work is to leave it unplugged while I boot up, and then plug
    it in after the fact.

    It seems to me if I could make Windows not autodetect the serial
    ports, I wouldn't have any more problems. Is there a way to do this?

    Please cc me in replies just in case I miss the response in newsgroup
    clutter.
    --
    Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
    Robotech_Master |
    | http://www.terrania.us/conga.html

  2. Re: Disabling Serial Port Autodetect in XP?

    Is there any way to disable serial port hardware autodetect in Windows
    XP?

    I have this old Realmagic serial DVD player remote control that I plug
    into my XP machine for use with Remote Selector. The problem is,
    Windows autodetects it as a serial mouse--which means the signals it
    sends don't get to Remote Selector--and if I manually disable it,
    signals don't come in through the port at all. The only way I can
    make it work is to leave it unplugged while I boot up, and then plug
    it in after the fact.

    It seems to me if I could make Windows not autodetect the serial
    ports, I wouldn't have any more problems. Is there a way to do this?

    Please cc me in replies just in case I miss the response in newsgroup
    clutter.
    --
    Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
    Robotech_Master |
    robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
    | http://www.terrania.us/conga.html

  3. Re: Disabling Serial Port Autodetect in XP?

    The following article discusses how to stop Windows from detecting
    serial mice:

    http://www.taltech.com/support/troublsht/NTDetect.htm

    For more serial I/O utilities, tips and free software please visit:
    www.taltech.com

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 02:31:14 GMT, Robotech_Master
    wrote:

    >Is there any way to disable serial port hardware autodetect in Windows
    >XP?
    >
    >I have this old Realmagic serial DVD player remote control that I plug
    >into my XP machine for use with Remote Selector. The problem is,
    >Windows autodetects it as a serial mouse--which means the signals it
    >sends don't get to Remote Selector--and if I manually disable it,
    >signals don't come in through the port at all. The only way I can
    >make it work is to leave it unplugged while I boot up, and then plug
    >it in after the fact.
    >
    >It seems to me if I could make Windows not autodetect the serial
    >ports, I wouldn't have any more problems. Is there a way to do this?
    >
    >Please cc me in replies just in case I miss the response in newsgroup
    >clutter.

+ Reply to Thread