Windows XP Pro SP2 launching program install automatically - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows XP Pro SP2 launching program install automatically - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, Today, for no reason I can think of, Windows XP Pro is automatically starting an install routine for MS Project 2000 - as if I had inserted an Install CD - but there is no CD inserted. Now I ...

  1. Windows XP Pro SP2 launching program install automatically

    Hello,

    Today, for no reason I can think of, Windows XP Pro is automatically
    starting an install routine for MS Project 2000 - as if I had inserted
    an Install CD - but there is no CD inserted.

    Now I can cancel the install routine, and about 15 minutes later it
    starts up again automatically.

    Does anyone have any idea what is happening and how to stop this
    install routine starting?

    Thanks

    Clive

  2. Re: Windows XP Pro SP2 launching program install automatically

    Hello,

    Did you inserted that CD? If the "installation software" become active
    but you didn't insert installation CD, I think there is a trojan/fake
    installation program.

    Usually, programs uses Registry to run automatically at startup. You
    may use regedit to look your registry settings for both Local Machine
    and Current User:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnceEx

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

    I suggest you to download any tool to edit "Programs to Startup"
    settings.

    Good luck,

    Daniel
    Interdesigner Software Development

    http://www.interdesigner.com
    http://www.comparatorfast.com
    http://www.networkclipboard.com
    http://www.shutdowntools.com

    ICQ # 61133529

  3. Re: Windows XP Pro SP2 launching program install automatically

    10 May 2005 16:08:24 -0700, groups@interdesigner.com:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Did you inserted that CD? If the "installation software" become active
    > but you didn't insert installation CD, I think there is a trojan/fake
    > installation program.
    >
    > Usually, programs uses Registry to run automatically at startup. You
    > may use regedit to look your registry settings for both Local Machine
    > and Current User:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnceEx
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    >
    > I suggest you to download any tool to edit "Programs to Startup"
    > settings.

    I recommend this tiny one (not even 100k exe):
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

+ Reply to Thread