Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq - Microsoft Windows ; Hi! I am in sort of an odd problem. A research instrument that we use needs WIndows 3.1 to run. I have the floppies for 3.11 WFW, but floppy one is bad and we need to reinstall the soft. Is ...

  1. Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq

    Hi!
    I am in sort of an odd problem. A research instrument that we use needs
    WIndows 3.1 to run. I have the floppies for 3.11 WFW, but floppy one is bad
    and we need to reinstall the soft. Is there a place to download or obtain an
    image of disk 1 only? If you can do this favor for me, please leave a
    message and we can private email. Once again, disk 1 of WFW 3.11 (not the
    other 3.1).

    Thanks for the help.

    Diego J.

  2. Re: Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq

    El Quimico wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I am in sort of an odd problem. A research instrument that we use needs
    > WIndows 3.1 to run. I have the floppies for 3.11 WFW, but floppy one is bad
    > and we need to reinstall the soft. Is there a place to download or obtain an
    > image of disk 1 only? If you can do this favor for me, please leave a
    > message and we can private email. Once again, disk 1 of WFW 3.11 (not the
    > other 3.1).
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Diego J.

    You are actually at the best place to find Disk 1 of WfW 3.11.
    Try the IS Department at UIUC and one of the techies is sure to
    have a set or know where there is one. And then there are also
    some of the other technologically-oriented departments on campus.
    If all else fails, there is also www.bootdisk.com.

  3. Re: Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq

    "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

    > El Quimico wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >> I am in sort of an odd problem. A research instrument that we use
    >> needs WIndows 3.1 to run. I have the floppies for 3.11 WFW, but floppy
    >> one is bad and we need to reinstall the soft. Is there a place to
    >> download or obtain an image of disk 1 only? If you can do this favor for
    >> me, please leave a message and we can private email. Once again, disk 1
    >> of WFW 3.11 (not the other 3.1).
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help.
    >>
    >> Diego J.

    > You are actually at the best place to find Disk 1 of WfW 3.11.
    > Try the IS Department at UIUC and one of the techies is sure to
    > have a set or know where there is one. And then there are also
    > some of the other technologically-oriented departments on campus.
    > If all else fails, there is also www.bootdisk.com.

    Thanks for the feedback. Actually, if you are at UIUC and know where to get
    the soft, let me know. I have tried most compuing support, but the Uni
    officially does not support it. That means that they do not have it.
    Everyplace I contact, they give the same answer (and it is a large and
    bureocratic campus).

    Even the surplus does not have it (I went today). www.bootdisk.com will not
    work. We need to reinstall Win 3.11 because we need the Win3.1x and the
    networking tools from Windows for Workgroups. SUrplus had Win 3.1 (non WFW).
    So, I am afraid to say that Win 3.1 is too old for the computing people here
    to care and I believe that your claim is easier said than done on this one
    :-).

    Any other suggestions? We need it to run a SPEX fluorimeter which runs with
    some custom made software and hardware that refuses to work on Windows 32
    bit code.

    Thanks,
    El Quimico

  4. Re: Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq

    > Any other suggestions? We need it to run a SPEX fluorimeter which runs with
    > some custom made software and hardware that refuses to work on Windows 32
    > bit code.

    About the best I can come up with would be to lurk on a few bittorrent
    sites :-/

    You often see a DVD with every version ever made available for download.

  5. Re: Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq

    El Quimico wrote:
    > Any other suggestions? We need it to run a SPEX fluorimeter which runs with
    > some custom made software and hardware that refuses to work on Windows 32
    > bit code.

    There's bound to be old-school-Windows emulation available for Linux. (I
    know there is MS-DOS emulation.)

  6. Re: Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq

    On Mon, 9 May 2005 13:15:02 -0500, "El Quimico"
    wrote:

    > I am in sort of an odd problem. A research instrument that we use needs
    >WIndows 3.1 to run. I have the floppies for 3.11 WFW, but floppy one is bad
    >and ....

    Is your posted address valid?

    Geo

  7. Re: Windows 3.11 WFW Disk 1... downlogad/getq

    "GEO" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 May 2005 13:15:02 -0500, "El Quimico"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am in sort of an odd problem. A research instrument that we use
    >> needs
    >>WIndows 3.1 to run. I have the floppies for 3.11 WFW, but floppy one is
    >>bad
    >>and ....

    > Is your posted address valid?
    >
    > Geo

    Hi! The address is a "dummy".

    I did however, found it last night by using google/yahoo for a little while
    (not the most legal way, but as we do own the original, I think it does not
    matter).

+ Reply to Thread