copying all files from one hard-drive to another - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on copying all files from one hard-drive to another - Microsoft Windows ; Greetings. I'm experiencing a frustrating problem that should have a very simple solution. All I am trying to do is copy a lot of files and directories from one place to another. That's it. Sounds simple enough, right? I have ...

  1. copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    Greetings. I'm experiencing a frustrating problem that should have a
    very simple solution. All I am trying to do is copy a lot of files and
    directories from one place to another. That's it. Sounds simple
    enough, right?

    I have an 80Gb hard-drive with about 13Gb worth of data on it (G:
    drive). This hard-drive came from another computer and I want to copy
    all the files from this hard-drive onto another hard-drive on my
    computer (C: drive with over 100Gb of free space). Here's what I do:

    1) I plug the new drive into my computer and it's recognized without
    any problems (G: drive)
    2) I create a directory on my C: drive (C:\Documents and
    Settings\etc...\newdrive) as the place to copy all the files from
    the G: drive.
    3) I go to the root directory of the G: drive (G:\) from within Windows
    XP
    explorer and select all files. I drag the files from G:\ over to my
    "newdrive" directory and Windows happily begins to copy away.

    A few minutes into the process, it completely stops with an "Error
    Copying File or Folder" message. Apparently, it cannot copy a file
    called "callcont" from the original G:\ drive. I am saddened that
    Windows apparently aborts the entire copy process because it runs
    across one file it cannot copy.
    Hmmm...Ok... So, I decide I'll go the xcopy route from DOS:

    1) Using *.* and options "/C /E /H" with xcopy, Windows again happily
    begins to xcopy away.

    After several minutes, the process completely stops with an
    "Insufficient memory" error message. Really? I have a computer with
    1.5Gb of memory and no other processes are going on.

    I am a Unix/Linux guy by trade, so this problem is frustrating me to no
    end. This should be a very simple two-click or one-command task, but
    it's taken me hours to figure out HOW to simply copy all the files from
    one hard-drive to another. Still no solution, so here I am.

    Keep in mind, I don't really care if I cannot copy a "callcont" file
    (or any other file here and there that Windows cannot read). I would
    EXPECT that if Windows runs into a file it cannot read, it will report
    it and simply move on to the next file. I fail to understand why it
    stops the process entirely.

    Can someone help me? Thanks very much.

  2. Re: copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    avantel@pobox.com wrote:
    > Greetings. I'm experiencing a frustrating problem that should have a
    > very simple solution. All I am trying to do is copy a lot of files and
    > directories from one place to another. That's it. Sounds simple
    > enough, right?
    >
    > I have an 80Gb hard-drive with about 13Gb worth of data on it (G:
    > drive). This hard-drive came from another computer and I want to copy
    > all the files from this hard-drive onto another hard-drive on my
    > computer (C: drive with over 100Gb of free space). Here's what I do:
    >
    > 1) I plug the new drive into my computer and it's recognized without
    > any problems (G: drive)
    > 2) I create a directory on my C: drive (C:\Documents and
    > Settings\etc...\newdrive) as the place to copy all the files from
    > the G: drive.
    > 3) I go to the root directory of the G: drive (G:\) from within Windows
    > XP
    > explorer and select all files. I drag the files from G:\ over to my
    > "newdrive" directory and Windows happily begins to copy away.
    >
    > A few minutes into the process, it completely stops with an "Error
    > Copying File or Folder" message. Apparently, it cannot copy a file
    > called "callcont" from the original G:\ drive. I am saddened that
    > Windows apparently aborts the entire copy process because it runs
    > across one file it cannot copy.
    > Hmmm...Ok... So, I decide I'll go the xcopy route from DOS:
    >
    > 1) Using *.* and options "/C /E /H" with xcopy, Windows again happily
    > begins to xcopy away.
    >
    > After several minutes, the process completely stops with an
    > "Insufficient memory" error message. Really? I have a computer with
    > 1.5Gb of memory and no other processes are going on.
    >
    > I am a Unix/Linux guy by trade, so this problem is frustrating me to no
    > end. This should be a very simple two-click or one-command task, but
    > it's taken me hours to figure out HOW to simply copy all the files from
    > one hard-drive to another. Still no solution, so here I am.
    >
    > Keep in mind, I don't really care if I cannot copy a "callcont" file
    > (or any other file here and there that Windows cannot read). I would
    > EXPECT that if Windows runs into a file it cannot read, it will report
    > it and simply move on to the next file. I fail to understand why it
    > stops the process entirely.
    >
    > Can someone help me? Thanks very much.

    Windows Explorer will stumble over protected system files and
    corrupt files, aborting the process. The DOS Xcopy command is
    less stringent but will also have trouble with corrupted files.

    As for the insufficient memory message, I wonder if there is a
    size limit for any given user under C:\Documents and Settings.
    It might have been better to have created a new folder in Drive C
    just for the 13 GB of data files, just like in the good old days.

    (Hey! We old Unix geeks are too good to be dumbed-down by Bill
    Gates and his programmers.)

  3. Re: copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    avantel@pobox.com wrote:
    > I have an 80Gb hard-drive with about 13Gb worth of data on it (G:
    > drive). This hard-drive came from another computer and I want to copy
    > all the files from this hard-drive onto another hard-drive on my
    > computer (C: drive with over 100Gb of free space).

    (Snip Procedure and error problems)

    *** If you are recreating the directory structure and all the files
    within, I suggest XXCOPY's "CLONE" switch.

    An XXCOPY link may be found in my "Websites" Directory at:

    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/Websites.html

    > I am a Unix/Linux guy by trade, so this problem is frustrating me to no
    > end. This should be a very simple two-click or one-command task, but
    > it's taken me hours to figure out HOW to simply copy all the files from
    > one hard-drive to another. Still no solution, so here I am.

    *** Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I can't think of what the
    problem is, but it is as easy as one command in DOS, just as it is in
    Unix/Linux.

    > Keep in mind, I don't really care if I cannot copy a "callcont" file
    > (or any other file here and there that Windows cannot read). I would
    > EXPECT that if Windows runs into a file it cannot read, it will report
    > it and simply move on to the next file. I fail to understand why it
    > stops the process entirely.

    *** I don't know either and don't know why there is a problem using
    XCOPY, either. You seem to have the right command and switches.

    Try XXCOPY. I find it to be an excellent update to XCOPY.

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/

  4. Re: copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    Mr. Bonner and Mistoffolees, thanks for your help. I ended up getting
    this resolved by dropping to "Safe Mode" and ultimately changing all
    the permissions/owner in the filesystem to Administrator. Amazingly,
    it worked! I was able to then copy all the files without difficulty.
    Thanks again for your feedback and assistance.

  5. Re: copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    >I ended up getting
    >this resolved by dropping to "Safe Mode" and ultimately changing all
    >the permissions/owner in the filesystem to Administrator. Amazingly,
    >it worked! I was able to then copy all the files without difficulty.
    >Thanks again for your feedback and assistance.

    So does this mean you are now running as root^H^H^H^HAdministrator?
    (Ahh, the joys of Win32.) I haven't found any better solution myself.

  6. Re: copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
    * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *

    On Tue, 11 May 2005 avantel@pobox.com wrote:

    > Mr. Bonner and Mistoffolees, thanks for your help. I ended up getting
    > this resolved by dropping to "Safe Mode" and ultimately changing all
    > the permissions/owner in the filesystem to Administrator. Amazingly,
    > it worked! I was able to then copy all the files without difficulty.
    > Thanks again for your feedback and assistance.

    Have you considered "xxcopy" ? I think thats still being sold by
    a Japanese guy. You can browse for it useing "xxcopy" as the key
    word. Any copier that you try to use when WINDOWS itself is active
    is not going to get every file. XXCOPY with clone switch works
    from DOS not Windows and the author claims it truly will get all
    files with the /clone switch.
    Kokomo Joe

  7. Re: copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    Joseph Fenn wrote:

    > ************************************************** ********
    > * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
    > * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
    > ************************************************** ********
    >

    > On Tue, 11 May 2005 avantel@pobox.com wrote:
    >
    >> Mr. Bonner and Mistoffolees, thanks for your help. I ended up getting
    >> this resolved by dropping to "Safe Mode" and ultimately changing all
    >> the permissions/owner in the filesystem to Administrator. Amazingly,
    >> it worked! I was able to then copy all the files without difficulty.
    >> Thanks again for your feedback and assistance.
    >>

    > Have you considered "xxcopy" ? I think thats still being sold by
    > a Japanese guy. You can browse for it useing "xxcopy" as the key
    > word. Any copier that you try to use when WINDOWS itself is active
    > is not going to get every file. XXCOPY with clone switch works
    > from DOS not Windows and the author claims it truly will get all
    > files with the /clone switch.
    > Kokomo Joe

    I've heard of top-posting, but this top-sigging is a new one on me. :/

  8. Re: copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    >Greetings. I'm experiencing a frustrating problem that should have a
    >very simple solution. All I am trying to do is copy a lot of files and
    >directories from one place to another. That's it. Sounds simple
    >enough, right?

    >I have an 80Gb hard-drive with about 13Gb worth of data on it (G:
    >....[snip]....

    I once had similar problems just trying to XCOPY or XXCOPY (even using
    /CLONE) a HALF-GIG hard drive and finally determined (deduced?) that
    the "Insufficient memory" message from both XCOPY and XXcopy is related
    to the RECURSION part of the job! After all, both programs have to do
    a recursive traversal of all of the directories and subdirectories and
    sub-subdirectories....

    (I believe [X]XOPY tries to do a breadth-first traversal,
    and that seemed to require much more temporary storage.)

    In my case, I "solved" the problem by writing a little script which
    [X]XCOPY'd by root directory. That apparently reduced the temporary-
    storage requirements sufficiently that I've not had problems since.
    --
    --Myron A. Calhoun.
    Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

  9. Re: copying all files from one hard-drive to another

    Myron A. Calhoun wrote:
    > In my case, I "solved" the problem by writing a little script which
    > [X]XCOPY'd by root directory. That apparently reduced the temporary-
    > storage requirements sufficiently that I've not had problems since.

    Isn't it sad that you had to do this in the first place? Win32 is so
    frustrating...

+ Reply to Thread