XP-Home appearance and taskbar - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP-Home appearance and taskbar - Microsoft Windows ; I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is working OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same as they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I ...

  1. XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is working
    OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same as
    they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I see on OEM
    machines.

    I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any difference.
    No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I did or how to undo
    it.

    Any help would be much appreciated

  2. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    Chris wrote:
    > I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is working
    > OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same as
    > they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I see on OEM
    > machines.
    >
    > I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any difference.
    > No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I did or how to undo
    > it.

    What I can't figure out is why you'd *want* to. First thing I do with an
    OEM WinXP box is switch to the "classic" theme. It saves screen
    real-estate and, as an added bonus, doesn't affect my sperm count.

    --
    http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
    Reichstag fire -> 9/11

  3. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    Chris wrote:
    > I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is
    > working OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They
    > look the same as they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look
    > that I see on OEM machines.
    >
    > I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any
    > difference. No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I
    > did or how to undo it.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated

    Chris, Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties.
    Click the Appearance tab, and look at what your Windows and Buttons is
    selected to be. The choices are Windows Classic Style (what you have now)
    and Windows XP Style (what you want).
    Make your selection, click "Apply," and then OK

  4. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
    > Chris wrote:
    >> I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is
    >> working OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They
    >> look the same as they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look
    >> that I see on OEM machines.
    >>
    >> I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any
    >> difference. No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I
    >> did or how to undo it.
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated

    > Chris, Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties.
    > Click the Appearance tab, and look at what your Windows and Buttons is
    > selected to be. The choices are Windows Classic Style (what you have now)
    > and Windows XP Style (what you want).
    > Make your selection, click "Apply," and then OK

    If that doesn't help have a look at:
    Why does Windows XP Style change to Windows Classic Style?

  5. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    Hi Chris,

    START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > ADVANCED > VISUAL EFFECTS > "Use visual
    styles on windows and buttons" <

    Hope that sorts it for ya

    Andy

  6. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    Well, I've tried all of the suggestions; setting the System properties for
    best appearance, as well as just about every registry tweak that looked even
    close at the site mentioned. Even tried installing TweakUI and playing that
    way, but nothing...

    When I go to Desktop=>Properties, Windows XP still isn't listed as an
    available option; the dropdown only show "Windows Classic Style".

    I thought I'd try the XP Distro CD -- added optional components, even tried
    to re-install, but since SP2 has already been applied, it just told me that
    my current Windows was newer than the CD, and exited.

    Just about ready to format and install Linux instead !!!

    "TaurArian" wrote in message
    > "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
    > > Chris wrote:
    > >> I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is
    > >> working OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They
    > >> look the same as they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look
    > >> that I see on OEM machines.
    > >>
    > >> I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any
    > >> difference. No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I
    > >> did or how to undo it.
    > >>
    > >> Any help would be much appreciated

    > > Chris, Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties.
    > > Click the Appearance tab, and look at what your Windows and Buttons is
    > > selected to be. The choices are Windows Classic Style (what you have

    now)
    > > and Windows XP Style (what you want).
    > > Make your selection, click "Apply," and then OK
    > >

    > If that doesn't help have a look at:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    > Why does Windows XP Style change to Windows Classic Style?

  7. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    Perhaps something here:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#themes
    Troubleshooting Themes

    Restore Luna Theme (Line 187)

    Restore Themes Functionality (Line 187)

    Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to
    Windows Classic (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...alstylefix.reg) or
    (Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.

    Chris wrote:
    > Well, I've tried all of the suggestions; setting the System
    > properties for best appearance, as well as just about every registry
    > tweak that looked even close at the site mentioned. Even tried
    > installing TweakUI and playing that way, but nothing...
    >
    > When I go to Desktop=>Properties, Windows XP still isn't listed as an
    > available option; the dropdown only show "Windows Classic Style".
    >
    > I thought I'd try the XP Distro CD -- added optional components, even
    > tried to re-install, but since SP2 has already been applied, it just
    > told me that my current Windows was newer than the CD, and exited.
    >
    > Just about ready to format and install Linux instead !!!
    >

    > "TaurArian" wrote in message
    >> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message

    >>> Chris, Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties.
    >>> Click the Appearance tab, and look at what your Windows and Buttons
    >>> is selected to be. The choices are Windows Classic Style (what you
    >>> have now) and Windows XP Style (what you want).
    >>> Make your selection, click "Apply," and then OK
    >>>

    >> If that doesn't help have a look at:
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >> Why does Windows XP Style change to Windows Classic Style?

  8. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    > Just about ready to format and install Linux instead !!!

    DO IT! Try a Knoppix CD first to check compatibility. Speaking of that,
    how do you secure your XP system so it's not vulnerable to a Knoppix CD?

  9. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 21:06:10 -0400, Chris wrote:

    > I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is working
    > OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same as
    > they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I see on OEM
    > machines.
    >
    > I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any difference.
    > No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I did or how to undo
    > it.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated

    Others have already made some good suggestions (Kelly's site has several
    different approaches for fixing this). A few other things you could check:

    In display properties, color settings should be at 16 bit (medium color
    quality) or, preferably, 32 bit (highest color quality). May need a desktop
    size of 1024x768 (XP's preferred default setting if supported by hardware).

    System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings: Adjust for best
    appearance.

    Administrative Tools> Services: Themes service needs to be set to automatic
    startup type.

    Display Properties> Themes: Select XP style here.

    Taskbar/Start Menu properties: Choose classic or XP style.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

  10. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar --- SUCCESS !!!

    Thank you VERY much, it was the Themes Service !!!

    The service was set to disabled, don't know how as I don't believe I had
    gotten my sticky fingers into Services as yet.

    Once I started it, "Windows XP Style" appeared as an available option in the
    Desktop Properties. It hung on the first attempt to use it, but a reboot
    and re-select did the trick. Sometimes the most trivial things require the
    most arcane solutions -- keeps Micro$oft in business I suppose.

    Again, thank you very much for all the suggestions, and the valuable
    links -- it'll all help in the future, I'm sure.

    Chris

    "Sharon F" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 May 2005 21:06:10 -0400, Chris wrote:
    >
    > > I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is

    working
    > > OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same

    as
    > > they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I see on OEM
    > > machines.
    > >
    > > I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any

    difference.
    > > No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I did or how to

    undo
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Any help would be much appreciated

    > Others have already made some good suggestions (Kelly's site has several
    > different approaches for fixing this). A few other things you could check:
    >
    > In display properties, color settings should be at 16 bit (medium color
    > quality) or, preferably, 32 bit (highest color quality). May need a

    desktop
    > size of 1024x768 (XP's preferred default setting if supported by

    hardware).

    > System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings: Adjust for best
    > appearance.
    >
    > Administrative Tools> Services: Themes service needs to be set to

    automatic
    > startup type.
    >
    > Display Properties> Themes: Select XP style here.
    >
    > Taskbar/Start Menu properties: Choose classic or XP style.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

  11. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    §kullywag©- wrote:
    > And by the way, my stylexp theme is black with flames. Funny how
    > Lavender and pastel are the first to jump into your mind when your
    > manhood are confronted.......tsk,tsk..........

    Lavender and pastel are the default XP theme color scheme, which was
    what was originally under discussion here.

  12. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar --- SUCCESS !!!

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 16:00:26 -0400, Chris wrote:

    > Thank you VERY much, it was the Themes Service !!!
    >
    > The service was set to disabled, don't know how as I don't believe I had
    > gotten my sticky fingers into Services as yet.
    >
    > Once I started it, "Windows XP Style" appeared as an available option in the
    > Desktop Properties. It hung on the first attempt to use it, but a reboot
    > and re-select did the trick. Sometimes the most trivial things require the
    > most arcane solutions -- keeps Micro$oft in business I suppose.
    >
    > Again, thank you very much for all the suggestions, and the valuable
    > links -- it'll all help in the future, I'm sure.

    You're most welcome, Chris.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

  13. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    Twisted One wrote:
    > §kullywag©- wrote:
    >> And by the way, my stylexp theme is black with flames. Funny how
    >> Lavender and pastel are the first to jump into your mind when your
    >> manhood are confronted.......tsk,tsk..........

    > Lavender and pastel are the default XP theme color scheme, which was
    > what was originally under discussion here.

    No, it was your 'manliness' (or rather, your lack thereof) that was under
    discussion here.

  14. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    TaurArian wrote:
    > Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style
    > Changes to Windows Classic
    > (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...alstylefix.reg) or

    TA, you didn't give the self-described "newbie" the caution to the OP
    about dealing with the registry !-)

    > (Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.
    >

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I've tried all of the suggestions; ...

    Make sure you are logged in as a priveleged user or "administrator" of
    the system. You may be using an account that is not allowed to change
    the desktop ?-)

  15. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar

    You are quite right, I should have posted it:
    HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
    reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > TaurArian wrote:
    >> Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style
    >> Changes to Windows Classic
    >> (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...alstylefix.reg) or

    > TA, you didn't give the self-described "newbie" the caution to the OP
    > about dealing with the registry !-)
    >
    >> (Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.
    >>

    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, I've tried all of the suggestions; ...

    > Make sure you are logged in as a priveleged user or "administrator" of
    > the system. You may be using an account that is not allowed to change
    > the desktop ?-)

  16. Re: XP-Home appearance and taskbar --- SUCCESS !!!

    another xp user saved from the clutches of linux

    "Sharon F" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 8 May 2005 16:00:26 -0400, Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you VERY much, it was the Themes Service !!!
    >>
    >> The service was set to disabled, don't know how as I don't believe I had
    >> gotten my sticky fingers into Services as yet.
    >>
    >> Once I started it, "Windows XP Style" appeared as an available option in
    >> the
    >> Desktop Properties. It hung on the first attempt to use it, but a reboot
    >> and re-select did the trick. Sometimes the most trivial things require
    >> the
    >> most arcane solutions -- keeps Micro$oft in business I suppose.
    >>
    >> Again, thank you very much for all the suggestions, and the valuable
    >> links -- it'll all help in the future, I'm sure.
    >>

    > You're most welcome, Chris.
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User