Modem stops downloading - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Modem stops downloading - Microsoft Windows ; I've been noticing this problem recently. When I'm online, downloading something off the web, i.e a large file or picture, etc, it will periodically just stop. The dialup indicator icon in the tray goes black and it stays this way ...

  1. Modem stops downloading

    I've been noticing this problem recently. When I'm online, downloading
    something off the web, i.e a large file or picture, etc, it will
    periodically just stop. The dialup indicator icon in the tray goes black
    and it stays this way for 20 or 30 seconds, then begins downloading again.
    I was having this problem a while back but discovered that the problem was
    Norton Antivirus was doing its Live Update. I have since disabled that
    feature and the problem went away for awhile. I have checked and LiveUpdate
    is still off.

    I've been having trouble with my ISP for the past few months. It takes a
    few dialup attempts to connect, I often connect at very low speeds and
    frequently get booted soon after connecting. I don't know if they are the
    cause of this trouble (I'm switching to cable modem soon!)

    Is there a program that I can download (slowly) or something already built
    in to WinXP Home Edition that will allow me to actually see what is
    accessing my modem? (I have looked at the list of processes that are running
    while I am online and nothing seems out of the ordinary.)

    Virus/worm??
    Crappy ISP??
    Bad modem???

  2. Re: Modem stops downloading

    Name wrote:
    > I've been noticing this problem recently. When I'm online, downloading
    > something off the web, i.e a large file or picture, etc, it will
    > periodically just stop. The dialup indicator icon in the tray goes black
    > and it stays this way for 20 or 30 seconds, then begins downloading again.
    > I was having this problem a while back but discovered that the problem was
    > Norton Antivirus was doing its Live Update. I have since disabled that
    > feature and the problem went away for awhile. I have checked and LiveUpdate
    > is still off.
    >
    > I've been having trouble with my ISP for the past few months. It takes a
    > few dialup attempts to connect, I often connect at very low speeds and
    > frequently get booted soon after connecting. I don't know if they are the
    > cause of this trouble (I'm switching to cable modem soon!)

    One possible explanation for stop-and-go downloading is
    the need to verify that the correct number of packets is
    being downloaded from the host. This is a form of error
    correction and, as noted, is quite observable with slow-
    speed connections.

    > Is there a program that I can download (slowly) or something already built
    > in to WinXP Home Edition that will allow me to actually see what is
    > accessing my modem? (I have looked at the list of processes that are running
    > while I am online and nothing seems out of the ordinary.)

    Having an operating firewall (e.g., ZoneAlarm) would show
    most connection attempts, with possibly their home addresses
    and type of query.

    > Virus/worm??
    > Crappy ISP??
    > Bad modem???

    Always be wary of any of the above situations. As for issues
    with the ISP or modem, they might be related. The telephone
    company should also be added to the list, when dial-ups are
    involved.

+ Reply to Thread