Windows 98 update without getting a virus - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows 98 update without getting a virus - Microsoft Windows ; Windows 98 update without getting a virus I just did a Win 98 restore on a computer. I am worried that if I log on to the internet to get the Win 98 updates I will have a virus before ...

  1. Windows 98 update without getting a virus

    Windows 98 update without getting a virus

    I just did a Win 98 restore on a computer.
    I am worried that if I log on to the internet
    to get the Win 98 updates I will have a virus
    before I can get all of the updates. Any
    suggestions?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Windows 98 update without getting a virus

    "q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com" writes:

    > Windows 98 update without getting a virus
    >
    > I just did a Win 98 restore on a computer.
    > I am worried that if I log on to the internet
    > to get the Win 98 updates I will have a virus
    > before I can get all of the updates. Any
    > suggestions?

    Get behind a hardware firewall (they cost all of $60), and run windows
    update straight away without visiting any other site, logging on to an
    instant messenger or anything else. Do not pass go, do not collect
    $200.

    If you're on dialup, it becomes more interesting. You'll need to
    install ZoneAlarm or some other software firewall to make sure your
    dialup connection is firewalled off from teh rest of your machine's
    open ports.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Windows 98 update without getting a virus

    "q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com" writes:

    > Windows 98 update without getting a virus
    >
    > I just did a Win 98 restore on a computer.
    > I am worried that if I log on to the internet
    > to get the Win 98 updates I will have a virus
    > before I can get all of the updates. Any
    > suggestions?

    Also, it goes without saying, but don't use any other single network
    program at all except IE before doing this. Go straight to windows
    update.

    The hardware firewall will keep you safe from network based attacks.
    IE is only dangerous if it visits malicious sites of which
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com is not one. Stay off the email programs,
    instant messengers and the peer to peer stuff until you can download
    the latest and greatest from trusted sites with your fully patched and
    up to date IE version after visiting windows update a few times.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Windows 98 update without getting a virus

    Todd H. wrote:
    > IE is only dangerous if it visits malicious sites of which
    > windowsupdate.microsoft.com is not one.

    Opinions vary about that. ;P

    --
    http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
    Reichstag fire -> 9/11

  5. Re: Windows 98 update without getting a virus

    Twisted One writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > IE is only dangerous if it visits malicious sites of which
    > > windowsupdate.microsoft.com is not one.

    > Opinions vary about that. ;P

    Too predictable. One too many times.

    *plonk*

    If someone makes comments in the forest and they all fall into a
    killfile, does he make a sound?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/