Windows XP Control Panel crashes - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows XP Control Panel crashes - Microsoft Windows ; Hi all, Whenever I try to open control panel, Windows Explorer crashes (the task bar, start menu, and any explorer windows die, and after a few seconds the task bar and start menu restarts). This happens if I choose the ...

  1. Windows XP Control Panel crashes

    Hi all,

    Whenever I try to open control panel, Windows Explorer
    crashes (the task bar, start menu, and any explorer
    windows die, and after a few seconds the task bar and
    start menu restarts). This happens if I choose the
    start menu control panel entry, or navigate to it in
    Explorer, etc...

    I see no evidence of anything else wrong - all other
    apps and system software seems to be fine. I so rarely
    use the control panel that I can't be sure about
    exactly when or after what events it actually stopped
    working - I just recently tried to open it and found
    this issue.

    I've spent a few hours searching for info with no
    luck. Any hints on how to trouble-shoot and/or
    solve this problem ? Is there a way to manually
    examine the control panel location, or something
    like that ?

    Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 1

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Windows XP Control Panel crashes

    "roadkill" writes:
    > Whenever I try to open control panel, Windows Explorer
    > crashes (the task bar, start menu, and any explorer
    > windows die, and after a few seconds the task bar and
    > start menu restarts). This happens if I choose the
    > start menu control panel entry, or navigate to it in
    > Explorer, etc...

    Something weird in windows XP that involves stability triggers a few
    kneejerk reactions you'll wanna eliminate from teh discussion before
    probing further:
    Are you running an antivirus program? Is it updated with the
    latest defs? Has it completed a full system scan lately?

    Have you checked for spyware/adware? Grab Ad Aware SE
    Personal edition, let it grab its latest updates and let it do
    a full (not smart) system scan. Review and remote all
    critical issues it reports.

    With malicious software crossed off the list as a possible (and sadly
    likely) cause, you could focus on your specific issue as a Windows
    installation corruption issue perhaps.

    The event log may give clues as to what's happening. Of course with
    control panel crashing your usual avenue to invoking event viewer
    through control panel>administrative tools>event viewer won't be
    available, so you can try start>run> and type in
    eventvwr.msc

    and hit enter.

    The application and system logs may indicate an issue that might be
    related to the issue.

    But, my money's on malware or spyware because so so so many folks have
    it. Consider an update to SP2 and a switch to Mozilla (latest
    release) as your primary web browser after you scan for and eliminate
    any malware.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Windows XP Control Panel crashes

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Something weird in windows XP that involves stability triggers a few
    > kneejerk reactions you'll wanna eliminate from teh discussion before
    > probing further:
    > Are you running an antivirus program? Is it updated with the
    > latest defs? Has it completed a full system scan lately?
    >
    > Have you checked for spyware/adware? Grab Ad Aware SE
    > Personal edition, let it grab its latest updates and let it do
    > a full (not smart) system scan. Review and remote all
    > critical issues it reports.

    And if that doesn't pan out, here's another common kneejerk reaction:
    What an unstable, unpredictable, indeterministic piece of **** Windows
    is. Try Ubuntu!

    --
    http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
    Reichstag fire -> 9/11

  4. Re: Windows XP Control Panel crashes

    Twisted One wrote:

    > And if that doesn't pan out, here's another common kneejerk reaction:
    > What an unstable, unpredictable, indeterministic piece of **** Windows
    > is. Try Ubuntu!

    One time too many

    PLONK

  5. Re: Windows XP Control Panel crashes

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "roadkill" writes:
    > Are you running an antivirus program? Is it updated with the
    > latest defs? Has it completed a full system scan lately?
    >
    > Have you checked for spyware/adware? Grab Ad Aware SE
    > Personal edition, let it grab its latest updates and let it

    do
    > a full (not smart) system scan. Review and remote all
    > critical issues it reports.

    Thanks for the pointers, Todd - I downloaded Ad Aware
    and it found one spyware thing, which I had it remove.
    I am also running Symantec Firewall and Symantec AntiVirus,
    Corporate Edition and keep it up-to-date, so hopefully I
    don't have any virii (at least the ones that Symantec's
    products know about).

    Still, the control-panel crash persists. One thing I
    forgot to mention before is that if I go to Explorer and
    only toggle the tree control's "+" button for control panel,
    it will expand and show its sub-menu items (Administrative
    Tools, Fonts, Network Connections, Printers and Faxes,
    Scanners and Cameras, Scheduled Tasks). I can open those
    items, its just when I select the Control Panel itself.
    either in explorer or start menu, that I get the crash.

    So, I could open administrative tools and select Event
    Viewer and look at the event log.

    In System log, there are a number of warnings from DHCP,
    SMB, and W32Time, and one error from DHCP - they all look
    fairly innocent.

    In Application log, there are a couple of errors, one for
    Perflib indicating a timeout calling WmiApRpl in
    c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll, and one for PerfNet
    indicating an error opening the "Server" service - "Server
    performance data will not be returned". There are also a
    number of warnings reporting that Norton Anti-virus can't
    open various files (didn't even know I had Norton...).

    No errors or warnings in the security log.

    Would more specific info about the warnings/errors be
    helpful, or do you have other ideas about things to
    check out or try ?

    Thanks for your help

  6. Re: Windows XP Control Panel crashes

    "roadkill" writes:

    > Still, the control-panel crash persists. One thing I
    > forgot to mention before is that if I go to Explorer and
    > only toggle the tree control's "+" button for control panel,
    > it will expand and show its sub-menu items (Administrative
    > Tools, Fonts, Network Connections, Printers and Faxes,
    > Scanners and Cameras, Scheduled Tasks). I can open those
    > items, its just when I select the Control Panel itself.
    > either in explorer or start menu, that I get the crash.

    Funky. May just be file or registry corruption. The question is what
    file or what reg key. Perhaps the control panel executable itself. If
    you can find someone with your same version of Windows and compare the
    file size and md5sum of the files perhaps you can see if there's a
    difference.

    Consider all of this a guess, because you've not looked at most of hte
    obvious stuff.

    > In Application log, there are a couple of errors, one for
    > Perflib indicating a timeout calling WmiApRpl in
    > c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll, and one for PerfNet
    > indicating an error opening the "Server" service - "Server
    > performance data will not be returned". There are also a
    > number of warnings reporting that Norton Anti-virus can't
    > open various files (didn't even know I had Norton...).

    Symantec = Norton these days. :-)

    > No errors or warnings in the security log.
    >
    > Would more specific info about the warnings/errors be
    > helpful, or do you have other ideas about things to
    > check out or try ?
    > Thanks for your help

    With the due diligence you've now done, we're in the investigate more
    independently, live with it, or reinstall windows territory, I'm
    afraid.

    I'd rerun Ad Aware a few more times just be sure all the spyware it
    knows about is truly gone though.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.