Win98 startup problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Win98 startup problem - Microsoft Windows ; Hi folks I have a friend who asked me to take a look at their Win98 machine as it is having problems booting up, having had problems installing a new piece of hardware and subsequently cancelling the installation. The PC ...

  1. Win98 startup problem

    Hi folks

    I have a friend who asked me to take a look at their Win98 machine as it is
    having problems booting up, having had problems installing a new piece of
    hardware and subsequently cancelling the installation.

    The PC boots the initial Win98 screen and the taskbar initially flashes into
    the bottom of the screen but then the whole screen is left blank with
    nothing but the clouds wallpaper remaining. ie. there are no icons or
    taskbar visible. Nothing happens with any mouse clicks or keyboard types.
    Pressing CTRL, ALT, DEL brings up the screen with CLOSE, SHUT DOWN, CANCEL,
    but there are no programs in the box. The only option is to close down.

    We don't have any of the original (now lost) disks or cds, therefore i am
    unable to make a boot disk or anything.

    Any suggestions?

    Many thanks.

  2. Re: Win98 startup problem

    "buffaloes inc" writes:
    > Hi folks
    >
    > I have a friend who asked me to take a look at their Win98 machine as it is
    > having problems booting up, having had problems installing a new piece of
    > hardware and subsequently cancelling the installation.
    >
    > The PC boots the initial Win98 screen and the taskbar initially flashes into
    > the bottom of the screen but then the whole screen is left blank with
    > nothing but the clouds wallpaper remaining. ie. there are no icons or
    > taskbar visible. Nothing happens with any mouse clicks or keyboard types.
    > Pressing CTRL, ALT, DEL brings up the screen with CLOSE, SHUT DOWN, CANCEL,
    > but there are no programs in the box. The only option is to close down.
    >
    > We don't have any of the original (now lost) disks or cds, therefore i am
    > unable to make a boot disk or anything.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    That's a mighty tough position to be in. Sounds like the system is
    sufficiently horked to the point where a clean reinstall is the
    quickest most reliable path to a stable system.

    Can you even boot into Safe Mode? Not sure about Win98, but in other
    windows OS's pressing F8 a lot during boot up will give the option for
    safe mode. In safe mode perhaps you can dig around the registry in
    HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current version> run keys to figure
    out what if anything is running on bootup to cause this nastiness.

    If that's not possible, you really need to find an original disk of
    some sort and reinstall. Or boot to a bootable linux distribution
    like Knoppix and maybe you can dink around the files and make some
    changes, but that's an outside chance at best since the problems
    probably lie mostly in the albatross known as The Registry. I'm not
    aware of any tools that let you edit the registry on a dead windows
    installation on another drive. There could be some though, I dunno.

    But do try to get into Safe Mode using F8 during boot, and perhaps you
    can get things back to a useable state.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Win98 startup problem

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "buffaloes inc" writes:
    >> Hi folks
    >>
    >> I have a friend who asked me to take a look at their Win98 machine
    >> as it is having problems booting up, having had problems installing
    >> a new piece of hardware and subsequently cancelling the installation.
    >> Any suggestions?

    > That's a mighty tough position to be in. Sounds like the system is
    > sufficiently horked to the point where a clean reinstall is the
    > quickest most reliable path to a stable system.
    >
    > Can you even boot into Safe Mode? Not sure about Win98, but in other
    > windows OS's pressing F8 a lot during boot up will give the option for
    > safe mode. In safe mode perhaps you can dig around the registry in
    > HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current version> run keys to figure
    > out what if anything is running on bootup to cause this nastiness.

    Perhaps, if he can get into safe mode, it would be better to run SFC
    from the Run menu which will check for missing or damaged files rather
    than poking around in the registry. Sounds like an important file has
    fallen by the wayside.

  4. Re: Win98 startup problem

    Start windows in safe mode by pressing the F8 key during boot and use device manager to remove the device that is incorrectly installed.
    If that does not work boot to a command prompt. It will be in the menu that comes up when you press F8. Run Scanreg and restore the registry to a point before the installation was attempted.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  5. Re: Win98 startup problem

    "John of Aix" writes:
    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > "buffaloes inc" writes:
    > >> Hi folks
    > >>
    > >> I have a friend who asked me to take a look at their Win98 machine
    > >> as it is having problems booting up, having had problems installing
    > >> a new piece of hardware and subsequently cancelling the installation.
    > >> Any suggestions?

    > > That's a mighty tough position to be in. Sounds like the system is
    > > sufficiently horked to the point where a clean reinstall is the
    > > quickest most reliable path to a stable system.
    > >
    > > Can you even boot into Safe Mode? Not sure about Win98, but in other
    > > windows OS's pressing F8 a lot during boot up will give the option for
    > > safe mode. In safe mode perhaps you can dig around the registry in
    > > HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current version> run keys to figure
    > > out what if anything is running on bootup to cause this nastiness.

    > Perhaps, if he can get into safe mode, it would be better to run SFC
    > from the Run menu which will check for missing or damaged files rather
    > than poking around in the registry. Sounds like an important file has
    > fallen by the wayside.

    John, that does sound more constructive indeed. What do you mean by SFC?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Win98 startup problem

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "John of Aix" writes:
    >> Todd H. wrote:

    >> Perhaps, if he can get into safe mode, it would be better to run SFC
    >> from the Run menu which will check for missing or damaged files
    >> rather than poking around in the registry. Sounds like an important
    >> file has fallen by the wayside.

    > John, that does sound more constructive indeed. What do you mean by
    > SFC?

    System File Control, it's a programme included in Windows. Start it from
    the Start button, then Run (type SFC). Before you actually run it (that
    is after the interface opens) there is a button marked Advanced, or
    Parameters or something like that, click on it and tick the two boxes
    marked 'Check for Modified files' and 'Check for erased files (or
    similar, my 98 was in French).

    The suggestion about deleting the troubleesome hardware from the
    control panel/system/device manager was a good one though, that might
    solve your problem so don't hesitate to try it.

+ Reply to Thread