Best External HD For Mirror Backup?? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Best External HD For Mirror Backup?? - Microsoft Windows ; Can anyone suggest a quality external (USB connected) hard drive which I can use for the following: - I want to make an exact copy/clone of my "C" drive... copying it to an external USB drive (named drive "D") - ...

  1. Best External HD For Mirror Backup??

    Can anyone suggest a quality external (USB connected) hard drive which
    I can use for the following:
    - I want to make an exact copy/clone of my "C" drive... copying it to
    an external USB drive (named drive "D")
    - I want to then be able to boot my PC from this external USB drive

    Are the above possible?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

  2. Re: Best External HD For Mirror Backup??

    bjackson445@yahoo.com writes:
    > Can anyone suggest a quality external (USB connected) hard drive which
    > I can use for the following:
    > - I want to make an exact copy/clone of my "C" drive... copying it to
    > an external USB drive (named drive "D")
    > - I want to then be able to boot my PC from this external USB drive
    >
    > Are the above possible?

    I haven't done this, but it sounds enormously useful.

    Technical hurdles that would have to be overcome is that windows
    prevents the reading of certain files while windows is runnig.
    So... if
    a) you're willing to do this cloning in an offline fashion
    (i.e. perhaps boot your system into an alternate OS like
    Knoppix, Kanotix, or another Linux LiveCD of some sort)
    and
    b) your BIOS and target OS (Windows in this case) support
    being booted off a USB drive

    if you can do both of those, you've got a fighting chance.

    My first thought is to ponder whether a Knoppix bootable Linux
    distribution on CD could be leveraged to do the offline cloning of the
    disk. I know this is possible because I have done that much--taking
    complete C drive disk images with Kanotix on CD to my Maxtor USB 250G
    drive. There is a disk imaging program in Knoppix (partimage) which
    creates compressed disk images, which are good for backup/restore, but
    are not ready to be booted by anything. Another way to do full disk
    image backups is to use good ole Unix dd from teh commandline to make
    the full uncompressed image backup. If you're new to Linux or unix,
    this may take some learning.

    The thing I haven't attempted, however is booting the system off that
    disk image somehow. For it to be possible, your BIOS absolutely
    must support booting from a USB device. If it can't, it's game over.
    If it can, you can probably get it going.

    See technique 5 here. It's similar to what I'm describing, except it
    assumes a 2nd IDE disk (which will work across more machines in
    general, and is the only hope for a machine that won't boot usb mass
    storage):
    http://www.pccitizen.com/driveimage.htm

    that page also gives solutions that wouldn't involve learning another
    operating system.

    More leads with the google search "bootable disk image backup knoppix
    usb"

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Best External HD For Mirror Backup??

    Thanks Todd for the info.

+ Reply to Thread