Explorer title bar problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Explorer title bar problem - Microsoft Windows ; I would like to change the name in my Explorer title bar, but have absolutely no clue as to where or how I do that. The default text is: "Internet Explorer delivered by 'name'. The 'name' I know for sure ...

  1. Explorer title bar problem

    I would like to change the name in my Explorer title bar, but have
    absolutely no clue as to where or how I do that. The default text is:
    "Internet Explorer delivered by 'name'. The 'name' I know for sure is a
    changeable value, but can someone tell mo how and where to change it?

    My ex-boyfriend changed the 'name' to the title of his homepage, which I
    very much would like to change now....

    I would appreciate if someone could guide me through, step by step, since
    I'm no computer wizard.

    Thanks, M

  2. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    maz wrote:
    > I would like to change the name in my Explorer title bar, but have
    > absolutely no clue as to where or how I do that. The default text is:
    > "Internet Explorer delivered by 'name'. The 'name' I know for sure is
    > a changeable value, but can someone tell mo how and where to change
    > it?
    >
    > My ex-boyfriend changed the 'name' to the title of his homepage,
    > which I very much would like to change now....
    >
    > I would appreciate if someone could guide me through, step by step,
    > since I'm no computer wizard.

    If you're using XP then copy the following text (not the ----) into
    notepad, save it witht he suffix reg (change at save or after), say
    MyIE.reg, double click on it and WXindows will tell you that the
    registry has been updated.

    ---------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

    "Window Title"="WRITE ANYTHING HERE"
    -------
    Putting your personal IE title in the obvious place instead of my text
    above.

    Otherwise you can find this key in the registry and change it (or create
    it) by hand.

  3. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    > My ex-boyfriend changed the 'name' to the title of his homepage, which I
    > very much would like to change now....
    > I would appreciate if someone could guide me through, step by step, since
    > I'm no computer wizard.

    Hopefully this might get you sorted (I use win98se so XP might be
    slightly different - for one, I expect you`ll need to be logged in as
    admin)

    Start / run / type "regedit"

    edit / find

    type in some of the words he used as the title

    hit "find next"

    it might take a while, but when you find it, right click on the correct
    value in the right hand pane, and select "modify"

    Change it to what you want.

    You might want to repeat from edit / find, just in case its in a couple
    of places, but I doubt it will be.

  4. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    John of Aix wrote:
    > If you're using XP then copy the following text (not the ----) into
    > notepad, save it witht he suffix reg (change at save or after), say
    > MyIE.reg, double click on it and WXindows will tell you that the
    > registry has been updated.

    Thank you
    Have a few more questions, though (If I screw up, I have no one to fix it
    for me, so have to be sure I do the right thing) I use XP Pro Windows.

    I created a notepad (*.txt) with the text below, typing in a new name and
    saved the file on my desktop to: MyIE.txt
    So what do I do now? Can I just rename the file to MyIE.reg, close and save
    it on my desktop and then doubleclick it and it will install/change the name
    of the title bar?

    > ---------
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    >
    > "Window Title"="WRITE ANYTHING HERE"
    > -------
    > Putting your personal IE title in the obvious place instead of my text
    > above.
    >
    > Otherwise you can find this key in the registry and change it (or
    > create it) by hand.

    The registry , where is that?

    Thanks for help in advance
    /M

  5. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    > Hopefully this might get you sorted (I use win98se so XP might be
    > slightly different - for one, I expect you`ll need to be logged in as
    > admin)
    >
    > Start / run / type "regedit"
    >
    > edit / find
    >
    > type in some of the words he used as the title
    >
    > hit "find next"
    >
    > it might take a while, but when you find it, right click on the
    > correct value in the right hand pane, and select "modify"
    >
    > Change it to what you want.
    >
    > You might want to repeat from edit / find, just in case its in a
    > couple of places, but I doubt it will be.

    I'm trying, thanks

  6. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    Yes, rename it with a .reg extension and doubleclick.
    If you screw up either the registry entry will not be imported or you will import an entry that will be meaningless and be ignored by windows. This method of creating a .reg file to change the registry is a lot safer than manually editing the registry. You can manually edit the registry (using regedit.exe), but even if you are an experienced registry hacker it is a good idea to backup the registry and make sure you are able to restore a backup copy if you need to.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  7. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    Mike Walsh wrote:
    > Yes, rename it with a .reg extension and doubleclick.
    > If you screw up either the registry entry will not be imported or you
    > will import an entry that will be meaningless and be ignored by
    > windows. This method of creating a .reg file to change the registry
    > is a lot safer than manually editing the registry. You can manually
    > edit the registry (using regedit.exe), but even if you are an
    > experienced registry hacker it is a good idea to backup the registry
    > and make sure you are able to restore a backup copy if you need to.

    Thanks you very much sir :-)
    You have all been great help :-)

    /M

  8. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    maz wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >> If you're using XP then copy the following text (not the ----) into
    >> notepad, save it witht he suffix reg (change at save or after), say
    >> MyIE.reg, double click on it and WXindows will tell you that the
    >> registry has been updated.

    > Thank you
    > Have a few more questions, though (If I screw up, I have no one to
    > fix it for me, so have to be sure I do the right thing) I use XP Pro
    > Windows.
    >
    > I created a notepad (*.txt) with the text below, typing in a new name
    > and saved the file on my desktop to: MyIE.txt

    > So what do I do now? Can I just rename the file to MyIE.reg, close
    > and save it on my desktop and then doubleclick it and it will
    > install/change the name of the title bar?

    Yep

    > ---------
    >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    >>
    >> "Window Title"="WRITE ANYTHING HERE"
    >> -------
    >> Putting your personal IE title in the obvious place instead of my
    >> text above.
    >>
    >> Otherwise you can find this key in the registry and change it (or
    >> create it) by hand.

    > The registry , where is that?

    It is opened by typing regedit (start button then Run). Follow the
    different 'folders' and 'subfolders' in the list above (HKCU\Software
    etc) like you would on a hard disk

    Go and have a look after you've made your reg file and double-clicked on
    it. You'll be able to see the result of your handiwork deep within the
    entrails of Windows.

  9. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> My ex-boyfriend changed the 'name' to the title of his homepage,
    >> which I very much would like to change now....
    >> I would appreciate if someone could guide me through, step by step,
    >> since I'm no computer wizard.

    > Hopefully this might get you sorted (I use win98se so XP might be
    > slightly different - for one, I expect you`ll need to be logged in as
    > admin)
    >
    > Start / run / type "regedit"
    >
    > edit / find
    >
    > type in some of the words he used as the title
    >
    > hit "find next"
    >
    > it might take a while, but when you find it, right click on the
    > correct value in the right hand pane, and select "modify"

    To be honest that is what I did as I couldn't remember where the entry
    was. However I didn't have a personalised title bar so searched for the
    default title 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' and couldn't find it so
    perhaps this key isn't created until needed. I created it by
    personalising the title bar via TweakXP and then found it easily.

    > Change it to what you want.
    >
    > You might want to repeat from edit / find, just in case its in a
    > couple of places, but I doubt it will be.

    No just the one.

  10. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    > > You might want to repeat from edit / find, just in case its in a
    > > couple of places, but I doubt it will be.

    > No just the one.

    I expected so, but you know how the registry gets for bloat !

  11. Re: Explorer title bar problem

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >>> You might want to repeat from edit / find, just in case its in a
    >>> couple of places, but I doubt it will be.

    >> No just the one.

    > I expected so, but you know how the registry gets for bloat !

    Tell me about it. I keep a pretty tight ship and regularly clean the
    registry with programmes designed for that, I also throw things out by
    hand sometimes when I'm in the registry and come across them but I'm
    certain there are still lines and lines, keys and keys that do not need
    to be there at all.

+ Reply to Thread