Streaming Video vs. Video Chat - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Streaming Video vs. Video Chat - Microsoft Windows ; I want to know what is the different between streaming video and video chat.. or are they very similar in concept? I guess one is a client server based solution whereas the other is a peer to peer solution. If ...

  1. Streaming Video vs. Video Chat

    I want to know what is the different between streaming video and video
    chat.. or are they very similar in concept? I guess one is a client
    server based solution whereas the other is a peer to peer solution. If
    that is the case, here are my questions:
    1. If the resolution needs were the same in two cases, would streaming
    still create more latency than a video chat software?
    2. Our specific need is to get something created which has very low
    latency but needs to be broadcast to an extremely high no. of
    simultaneous users. If we look at streaming as the way to webcast, it
    has higher latency for the same quality (than chat, I am assuming- pl
    correct me if I am wrong based on your answer to Q 2 above). If we look
    at video chat, there do not seem to be too many solutions which allow
    broadcast to a large no. of people. Is there any solution that combines
    low latency of video chats with high no. of possible receivers in a
    streaming or webcast situation?
    Thanks,
    Kathy

  2. Re: Streaming Video vs. Video Chat

    kathy@excellere.com wrote:
    > I want to know what is the different between streaming video and video
    > chat.. or are they very similar in concept? I guess one is a client
    > server based solution whereas the other is a peer to peer solution. If
    > that is the case, here are my questions:
    > 1. If the resolution needs were the same in two cases, would streaming
    > still create more latency than a video chat software?
    > 2. Our specific need is to get something created which has very low
    > latency but needs to be broadcast to an extremely high no. of
    > simultaneous users. If we look at streaming as the way to webcast, it
    > has higher latency for the same quality (than chat, I am assuming- pl
    > correct me if I am wrong based on your answer to Q 2 above). If we look
    > at video chat, there do not seem to be too many solutions which allow
    > broadcast to a large no. of people. Is there any solution that combines
    > low latency of video chats with high no. of possible receivers in a
    > streaming or webcast situation?
    > Thanks,
    > Kathy

    Yeah -- it's called cable. You might have one running into your TV.