''file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system'' - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on ''file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system'' - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I have problems in booting XP prof. SP2: It says: file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system Using recover console and doing three times the "chkdsk /r" until it stopped saying "found & fixed one or more errors" dir system*.* in ...

  1. ''file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system''

    Hi,

    I have problems in booting XP prof. SP2:

    It says:
    file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system

    Using recover console and doing three times the "chkdsk /r" until it
    stopped saying "found & fixed one or more errors"

    dir system*.* in that folder gives me:
    04/30/05 9:02a -a------ 7.602.176 system
    11/07/04 12:03p -a------ 405.504 system.sav

    I suppose that this file holds most of the system information
    concerning installed programms and users.

    Is there any way or repairing this file cause the recover console
    gives me nothing at all for that. Any undocumented switches? Or can I
    only overwrite the system file with the system.sav? Or is there
    somewhere else a backup of the system file?

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: ''file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system''

    Dietrich.Semsar@gmx.de (Dietrich Semsar) writes:

    >I have problems in booting XP prof. SP2:

    >It says:
    >file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system

    [snip]

    Try looking at KB article 307545 for a possible recovery procedure.

    Joe Morris

  3. Re: ''file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system''

    Joe Morris wrote:
    > Dietrich.Semsar@gmx.de (Dietrich Semsar) writes:
    >
    >>I have problems in booting XP prof. SP2:

    >>It says:
    >>file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system

    > [snip]
    >
    > Try looking at KB article 307545 for a possible recovery procedure.

    A link would probably be useful to the O.P.

  4. Re: ''file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system''

    Twisted One writes:

    > Joe Morris wrote:
    > > Dietrich.Semsar@gmx.de (Dietrich Semsar) writes:
    > >
    > >>I have problems in booting XP prof. SP2:

    > >>It says:
    > >> file missing or corrupt: \w\system32\config\system

    > > [snip]
    > > Try looking at KB article 307545 for a possible recovery procedure.

    > A link would probably be useful to the O.P.

    See, Twisty, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. You post
    finds fault in someone else's attempt to assist, while adding
    absolutely no value.

    To the original poster (OP), if you're not familiar with finding
    microsoft knowledgebase articles, they are unique numbers. In this
    case, the help Joe Morris was pointing you to is found at this URL:

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/