Sluggish hostname lookup -- with a twist. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Sluggish hostname lookup -- with a twist. - Microsoft Windows ; The twist being, the hostname lookup in question was completely local. Windows XP, using an ad-blocking hosts file which makes s11.sitemeter.com resolve to 127.0.0.1, and I went to a Web site and the browser sat for ages at "Looking up ...

  1. Sluggish hostname lookup -- with a twist.

    The twist being, the hostname lookup in question was completely local.
    Windows XP, using an ad-blocking hosts file which makes
    s11.sitemeter.com resolve to 127.0.0.1, and I went to a Web site and the
    browser sat for ages at "Looking up host: s11.sitemeter.com". Previous
    fetches from the site were fine, aside from Firefox's complete refusal
    to cache any page there or even any hostname lookups.

    Since the lookup should have found that site in the hosts file, there
    are only two possible explanations for this problem.
    1: The lookup *in my own machine's hosts file* was slow. Dubious. It's
    got a 1.5GHz CPU, 1 full GB of RAM, and the commit charge should be
    at most 6 or 700M. Not enough for it to be thrashing, surely.
    (Pagefile size is 1.5GB, in case that matters.) There's no reason for
    fetching an address from the hosts file to be slow, and particularly
    not for it to be slow now when it was fine ten minutes ago.
    2: Despite the hostname having an address in my machine's hosts file, it
    still went to my ISP's DNS server to fetch the address, and said DNS
    server was slow.
    This would require quite a serious bug in XP, and if my hosts file is
    being ignored, I should be seeing some ads that are definitely being
    blocked. I've had to remove some sites from the hosts file that were
    overzealously included in it, and that I actually use, in fact, because
    they wouldn't resolve. That seems to torpedo theory 2, and yet theory 1
    has to explain why local hostname lookups would suddenly become
    ludicrously slow, and on a machine that easily has the raw horsepower to
    handle such a job (and indeed routinely does it much more quickly).

  2. Re: Sluggish hostname lookup -- with a twist.

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:59:27 -0400, Twisted One
    wrote:

    >Windows XP, using an ad-blocking hosts file which makes ...

    >This would require quite a serious bug in XP, and ...

    Shouldn't you be using Linux? Or am I thinking of a different
    Twisted One?

    Geo

+ Reply to Thread