I need a self extrator with no user interaction necessary. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on I need a self extrator with no user interaction necessary. - Microsoft Windows ; Sort of like a self extrating zip, but that will just extract and put all the files in a directory with no user action. I am doing this from a batch job. So I want the job to launch foo.exe ...

  1. I need a self extrator with no user interaction necessary.

    Sort of like a self extrating zip, but that will just extract and put
    all the files in a directory with no user action. I am doing this from
    a batch job. So I want the job to launch foo.exe which will extract
    the foo program and put all of its files into C:\foo and it's
    respective subdirectories.

    Anybody know of something like this?

    -Jim

  2. Re: I need a self extrator with no user interaction necessary.

    jtpryan@gmail.com wrote:
    > Sort of like a self extrating zip, but that will just extract and put
    > all the files in a directory with no user action. I am doing this
    > from a batch job. So I want the job to launch foo.exe which will
    > extract the foo program and put all of its files into C:\foo and it's
    > respective subdirectories.
    >
    > Anybody know of something like this?

    Pkzip, arj or LHA; all dos apps from years back

    LHA is freeware and gives quite good compression.

  3. Re: I need a self extrator with no user interaction necessary.

    Mike,

    Thanks. As it turns out it looks like WinRAR might fill the bill.
    PKzip appears to be a commercial product now, not expensive, but a pain
    in the "file expenses" world. I'll look at LHA.

    Jim

  4. Re: I need a self extrator with no user interaction necessary.

    7zip (sourceforge.net) may also be able to extract to a specific
    directory if called via commandline