Remedy for slow windows 98 computer - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Remedy for slow windows 98 computer - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I am trying to help out my father with his windows 98 computer. It has suddenly become very slow. I have ( AFAIK ) two reasons for this: * virus * diskfragmentation needed (More options -remedies welcome!) Q1: Any ...

  1. Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    Hi,

    I am trying to help out my father with his windows 98 computer. It has
    suddenly become very slow. I have ( AFAIK) two reasons for this:

    * virus
    * diskfragmentation needed

    (More options -remedies welcome!)

    Q1: Any checks I can do to see what the reason is?
    Q2: Is there a fairly good and free virus detection/removal software.
    Q3: How can I speed up windows 98?

    All hints are very much appreciated!

    //Mikael

  2. Re: Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    Petterson Mikael wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to help out my father with his windows 98 computer. It has
    > suddenly become very slow. I have ( AFAIK) two reasons for this:
    >
    > * virus
    > * diskfragmentation needed
    >
    > (More options -remedies welcome!)

    Spyware?

    Scan for viruses and spyware. AVG, F-Prot, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and
    Destroy -- use them all. And oh yes, they're all free for personal use,
    I think.

    > Q3: How can I speed up windows 98?

    Replace it with Linux?

  3. Re: Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    Petterson Mikael wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to help out my father with his windows 98 computer. It has
    > suddenly become very slow. I have ( AFAIK) two reasons for this:
    >
    > * virus
    > * diskfragmentation needed
    >
    > (More options -remedies welcome!)
    >
    > Q1: Any checks I can do to see what the reason is?
    > Q2: Is there a fairly good and free virus detection/removal software.
    > Q3: How can I speed up windows 98?

    Do what Twisted one suggests first. Clean the registry, stop all
    programmes running in the background that aren't absolutely necessary
    (those on the irght of the task bar) which is usually about three or
    four not a dozen as some have. There start-up will either be via an
    icopn in the start/stratup folder on in the Registry, these you can find
    with MSConfig.

  4. Re: Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    > All hints are very much appreciated!

    I`ve got a recommended order of execution for antivirus and anti-spyware
    at http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

    All the files I link to are free except for Pest Patrol (which in itself
    is not an affiliate link)

    This is it in brief, but I have links to them on the site:

    1) Scan your PC fully first with Sysclean from Trend - especially if you
    own Nortons !
    2) A firewall
    3) A virus checker
    4) Spybot Search & Destroy
    5) SpywareBlaster
    6) CWShredder

  5. Re: Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    > 1) Scan your PC fully first with Sysclean from Trend - especially if you
    > own Nortons !
    > 2) A firewall
    > 3) A virus checker
    > 4) Spybot Search & Destroy
    > 5) SpywareBlaster
    > 6) CWShredder

    Hmzz, I think a firewall is pretty useless on Windows 98, having a good
    antivirus (AVG-Free) and ditto browser (Mozilla or Opera for example)
    will be enought. And of course, installing no crappy programs too.
    Also, tell him not to click on anything that pops-up :-)

    Maybe a quick scan with Stinger from McAfee in safe mode first to get
    rid of the bad boys, and also running 4, 5 and 6 like suggestd above.

    And to clean out temp files and startup programs and the likes you could
    use CCleaner.

    Wimmy

  6. Re: Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    > > 2) A firewall
    > Hmzz, I think a firewall is pretty useless on Windows 98

    I still use 98SE, and a firewall is _not_ useless. I still have a
    software firewall despite being behind a router, as I like to know what
    is running on my system, and some apps are on a tight rein (as in, ask
    every time before letting it out)

    How else are users supposed to maintain an application level control of
    what is allowed out ?

  7. Re: Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:53:35 +0100, Colin Wilson
    wrote:

    >> > 2) A firewall

    >> Hmzz, I think a firewall is pretty useless on Windows 98

    >I still use 98SE, and a firewall is _not_ useless. I still have a
    >software firewall despite being behind a router, as I like to know what
    >is running on my system, and some apps are on a tight rein (as in, ask
    >every time before letting it out)
    >
    >How else are users supposed to maintain an application level control of
    >what is allowed out ?

    I guess that one would have to have all discovered (*) fixes to all
    known security problems before saying that a firewall is useless:

    This one is exploited by the Opaserv worm:

    Geo

    (*) And some undiscovered??

  8. Re: Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    Petterson Mikael wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to help out my father with his windows 98 computer. It has
    > suddenly become very slow. I have ( AFAIK) two reasons for this:
    >
    > * virus
    > * diskfragmentation needed
    >
    > (More options -remedies welcome!)
    >
    > Q1: Any checks I can do to see what the reason is?

    Windows is installed.

    > Q2: Is there a fairly good and free virus detection/removal software.

    Yes. Its called format.

    format c:

    > Q3: How can I speed up windows 98?

    After step 2, install Linux or BSD.

  9. Re: Remedy for slow windows 98 computer

    Free tip. when trying to upgrade from win95 to win98, there is a speed
    check and if your i/o speed is less than 66mhz you will be an error
    and cannot proceed with win98 installation. The tip is to go to
    the win "run" cmd and enter
    F:setup /nm (assuming your external burner is drive F
    The /nm turns off the math coprocessor and speed of your computer
    is no longer a factor in meeting the min speed of 66mhz requirement
    for installation.
    Kokomo Joe

    * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
    * Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Wim Cossement wrote:

    >> 1) Scan your PC fully first with Sysclean from Trend - especially if you
    >> own Nortons !
    >> 2) A firewall
    >> 3) A virus checker
    >> 4) Spybot Search & Destroy
    >> 5) SpywareBlaster
    >> 6) CWShredder

    > Hmzz, I think a firewall is pretty useless on Windows 98, having a good
    > antivirus (AVG-Free) and ditto browser (Mozilla or Opera for example) will be
    > enought. And of course, installing no crappy programs too.
    > Also, tell him not to click on anything that pops-up :-)
    >
    > Maybe a quick scan with Stinger from McAfee in safe mode first to get rid of
    > the bad boys, and also running 4, 5 and 6 like suggestd above.
    >
    > And to clean out temp files and startup programs and the likes you could use
    > CCleaner.
    >
    > Wimmy

+ Reply to Thread