codecs for Windows Media Player? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on codecs for Windows Media Player? - Microsoft Windows ; I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop (Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where ...

  1. codecs for Windows Media Player?

    I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop
    (Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are
    disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where
    the Windows Media player codec is installed, where do I find others to
    download and try?
    Thanks

  2. Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?

    wrote in
    news:1113275955.423112.4120@z14g2000cwz.googlegrou ps.com thusly:

    > I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop
    > (Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are
    > disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where
    > the Windows Media player codec is installed, where do I find others to
    > download and try?

    The problem is most likely not the decoder, since you can play the file,
    the decoder works. The problem is more likely Windows Media Player,
    which is absolute garbage and is only good for quick and dirty playback.

    Try loading the files into PowerDVD. Worse case, you can use PowerDVD's
    Navigational Slider to back track, which often times WMP doesn't allow
    you to use. You could also try Media Player Classic.

    First find out if it is the decoder or the playback program before
    getting involved with codec thrashing.

    --

    Tom

  3. Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?

    wrote in message
    news:1113275955.423112.4120@z14g2000cwz.googlegrou ps.com...
    >I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop
    > (Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are
    > disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where
    > the Windows Media player codec is installed, where do I find others to
    > download and try?
    > Thanks

    To find codecs use Sherlock. It's a free download here:
    http://www.updatexp.com/ It's quite safe to use and doesn't contain any
    adware or spyware.

    There is no installation, so just place Sherlock in a convenient directory
    (folder) somewhere on your computer. Create a shortcut and place in a
    convenient spot, such as your desktop or quicklauch bar. Double-click the
    program. It will start up and first tell you if anything is broken. Next,
    you get a list of the installed codecs. From this list you can check with
    the supplier to see if an updated or corrected version is available.

    As an aside, I don't agree that Windows Media Player is "garbage." Since I
    work with video and audio media all day long, I have my system tuned to do
    just that. So, at least on my system, WMP works quite well.

    There are a number of free download and/or websites that describe how to
    optimize WinXP for video/audio. You may want to check out a few of these
    sites as well. Here are a couple of sites to get you started:

    http://www.dougknox.com/
    http://www.tweakxp.com/

    To find more just do a google search for "optimize windows xp" or "tweak
    windows xp." You'll probably get a million and a half hits, but the first
    two or three pages should be sufficient. ;-)

    Good luck!

    Hal Lowe
    http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?...name=web_email
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

  4. Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?

    "Hal" wrote in message
    > wrote in message
    > news:1113275955.423112.4120@z14g2000cwz.googlegrou ps.com...
    > >I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop
    > > (Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are
    > > disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where
    > > the Windows Media player codec is installed, where do I find others to
    > > download and try?
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > To find codecs use Sherlock. It's a free download here:
    > http://www.updatexp.com/ It's quite safe to use and doesn't contain any
    > adware or spyware.
    >
    > There is no installation, so just place Sherlock in a convenient directory
    > (folder) somewhere on your computer. Create a shortcut and place in a
    > convenient spot, such as your desktop or quicklauch bar. Double-click the
    > program. It will start up and first tell you if anything is broken. Next,
    > you get a list of the installed codecs. From this list you can check with
    > the supplier to see if an updated or corrected version is available.
    >
    > As an aside, I don't agree that Windows Media Player is "garbage." Since I
    > work with video and audio media all day long, I have my system tuned to do
    > just that. So, at least on my system, WMP works quite well.
    >
    > There are a number of free download and/or websites that describe how to
    > optimize WinXP for video/audio. You may want to check out a few of these
    > sites as well. Here are a couple of sites to get you started:
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/
    > http://www.tweakxp.com/
    >
    > To find more just do a google search for "optimize windows xp" or "tweak
    > windows xp." You'll probably get a million and a half hits, but the first
    > two or three pages should be sufficient. ;-)
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Hal Lowe
    > http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
    > http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?...name=web_email
    > http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    > http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

    About Windows Media Player. When loading a large MP2 file. (say 20:00 or so) I
    can only play the file from the beginning. I can not drag the slider to the
    middle or near end of file and play from there. Any idea?

  5. Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?

    DanR wrote in
    news:SuP6e.607$zq4.494@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com thusly:

    > About Windows Media Player. When loading a large MP2 file. (say 20:00
    > or so) I can only play the file from the beginning. I can not drag the
    > slider to the middle or near end of file and play from there. Any
    > idea?

    Demux the video. The sectors are out of wack.

    --

    Tom

  6. Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?

    Hal wrote in
    news:6DO6e.18499$1p4.17550@trndny06 thusly:

    > As an aside, I don't agree that Windows Media Player is "garbage."
    > Since I work with video and audio media all day long, I have my system
    > tuned to do just that. So, at least on my system, WMP works quite
    > well.

    I said that it's, "only good for quick and dirty playback", not that it
    doesn't work. There are much better programs available if playback is
    important to you.

    As long as you have the appropriate decoder/filter installed, it will
    playback the file. It's just a bloated frontend, not a very good
    frontend, but a frontend never the less. One that, doesn't understand
    aspect ratios very well.

    Before playing with codecs (which can be dangerous, not to mention a
    pain), its best to see how a different player handles the file. The
    priority of the codec will not change and the other player will use what
    has the highest merit for that type. This way you can compare and avoid
    unnecessary tweaking.

    --

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread