Notepad line length question - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Notepad line length question - Microsoft Windows ; I could have sworn that I one time found a command line parameter for starting notepad that would extend the length of a line (default=256) to a length specified at the command line. My problem is I'm extracting data from ...

  1. Notepad line length question

    I could have sworn that I one time found a command line parameter for
    starting notepad that would extend the length of a line (default=256)
    to a length specified at the command line.

    My problem is I'm extracting data from a SQL database and just a couple
    of records go over this 256 limit. I'm hoping I can extract and then
    read the file without it truncating the line on these few records.

    Anyone know if this is possible in notepad or should I just look for a
    notepad replacement?

    TIA.

    JB

  2. Re: Notepad line length question

    While wandering through cyberspace on 11 Apr 2005 11:24:04 -0700, said
    > I could have sworn that I one time found a command line parameter for
    > starting notepad that would extend the length of a line (default=256)
    > to a length specified at the command line.
    >
    > My problem is I'm extracting data from a SQL database and just a couple
    > of records go over this 256 limit. I'm hoping I can extract and then
    > read the file without it truncating the line on these few records.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is possible in notepad or should I just look for a
    > notepad replacement?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > JB

    DEFINITELY look for a Notepad replacement. There are many available
    editors that are superior to Notepad.

    Textpad is a fairly good editor.

    If you are familiar with the UNIX/Linux world and have used the "Vi"
    editor, then you might want to consider gettaing a copy of the "Vim"
    editor.

    And still there are many more editors. You can check out what is
    available from the popular download/shareware sites such as
    www.download.com and www.tucows.com

  3. Re: Notepad line length question

    jbyy4u@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I could have sworn that I one time found a command line parameter for
    > starting notepad that would extend the length of a line (default=256)
    > to a length specified at the command line.
    >
    > My problem is I'm extracting data from a SQL database and just a

    couple
    > of records go over this 256 limit. I'm hoping I can extract and then
    > read the file without it truncating the line on these few records.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is possible in notepad or should I just look for

    > notepad replacement?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > JB

    what are you doing using notepad, MS didnt even bother to finish it so
    it all worked. Try win32pad

    NT

  4. Re: Notepad line length question

    > what are you doing using notepad, MS didnt even bother to finish it so
    > it all worked. Try win32pad

    Or editpadlite (www.editpadlite.com) - columnar selection is something I
    missed for a long time after Cygnus Editor on the Amiga :-)

  5. Re: Notepad line length question

    Try using Wordpad

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  6. Re: Notepad line length question

    Try using WordPad with word wrap turned off.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  7. Re: Notepad line length question

    Mike,

    Word wrap is not the problem...It is a total line length limit that
    I've run into. And acutally I just realized that the limit is NOT 256
    but is 1024.

    So now I'm thinking it may be a buffer issue. I'm running a command
    line script that uses osql to query our database. I then remove the
    stupid garbage line feeds and spaces that osql produces and then I
    write the cleaned up text to a file. But on a couple of records it's
    breaking the last few characters into multiple lines.

    No, just check command buffer. Now I'm checkin osql...

    Stupid (me). It was osql switch -w 250 which was causing my problem!

    Thanks all for letting me talk this out. It helped figure things out!

    JB

+ Reply to Thread