Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb - Microsoft Windows ; I'm working on a file inventory of our network drives. I need to get the filename, path, size, type, and creation date into a database-type format. By search E: for *, I get exactly the results I need. The problem ...

  1. Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb

    I'm working on a file inventory of our network drives. I need to get
    the filename, path, size, type, and creation date into a database-type
    format. By search E: for *, I get exactly the results I need. The
    problem is that I have no idea how to get these results into anything
    that could be converted into a database.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb

    > Any suggestions?

    I think a unix-alike command GREP might be able to do what you`re after
    (and output to file) but i`ve never used it on either *nix or windows :-}

    It almost certainly won`t be available under windows by default, but i`m
    sure there are pre-compiled binaries available for it.

  3. Re: Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb

    *cough*cygwin*cough*

  4. Re: Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb

    If I were in unix I'd have no problems what-so-ever. It's just that
    Windows hates me and will never do what I want it to do.

    So anyone know of any of these binaries Colin speaks of? Or perhaps a
    VBScript or Macro?

  5. Re: Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb

    johnhutch@gmail.com wrote:
    > If I were in unix I'd have no problems what-so-ever. It's just that
    > Windows hates me and will never do what I want it to do.
    >
    > So anyone know of any of these binaries Colin speaks of? Or perhaps a
    > VBScript or Macro?

    Virus builder script? Why would you want to do it with a *virus*?

  6. Re: Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb

    If a virus will solve my problem, I'll gladly use it. My search results
    are turning up over 78,000 files. I'm certainly not about to manually
    type all of those filenames, sizes, and modification dates into a
    spreadsheet.

    I'm desperate for a solution, folks.

  7. Re: Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb

    We all know VBScripts sour reputation, but if a virus will solve my
    problem, I'll gladly use it. My search results are bringing up over
    78,000 results and there's no way in hell I'm going to type each
    filename, size, and modification date into a spreadsheet or database.
    There has to be a way to automate this sort of task.

    Please! I'm desperate!

  8. Re: Saving file Search Results as .csv, .xls, or .mdb

    http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/