Can't delete destop icon XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Can't delete destop icon XP - Microsoft Windows ; I have an executeable file (.exe) file on my desktop which I can't delete. Everytime I try to delete it, rename it, change its extension type, anything, it always says the file is being accessed and cannot be written to ...

  1. Can't delete destop icon XP

    I have an executeable file (.exe) file on my desktop which I can't
    delete. Everytime I try to delete it, rename it, change its extension
    type, anything, it always says the file is being accessed and cannot
    be written to at all. It'll even do this staright after startup when I
    haven't clicked on it. How can I get rid of it? I tried getting a
    shredder program, and that didnt work either. I've scanned it for
    viruses and there aren't any. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks alot.

    ed

  2. Re: Can't delete destop icon XP

    ed wrote:
    > I have an executeable file (.exe) file on my desktop which I can't
    > delete. Everytime I try to delete it, rename it, change its extension
    > type, anything, it always says the file is being accessed and cannot
    > be written to at all. It'll even do this staright after startup when I
    > haven't clicked on it. How can I get rid of it? I tried getting a
    > shredder program, and that didnt work either. I've scanned it for
    > viruses and there aren't any. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    > Thanks alot.

    Safe mode. It's being run at startup, which is rather suspicious.
    Boot in safe mode and delete it from there. Also run msconfig and remove
    any startup entries that refer to c:\documents and
    settings\username\desktop, whatever username.

  3. Re: Can't delete destop icon XP

    > I have an executeable file (.exe) file on my desktop which I can't
    > delete. Everytime I try to delete it, rename it, change its extension
    > type, anything, it always says the file is being accessed and cannot
    > be written to at all. It'll even do this staright after startup when I
    > haven't clicked on it. How can I get rid of it? I tried getting a
    > shredder program, and that didnt work either. I've scanned it for
    > viruses and there aren't any. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    Try my recommended list for securing your system:

    http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/recommended.html

    Go for Sysclean from Trend first - its good :-)

    I agree with Twisted One - this sounds very suspicious.

  4. Re: Can't delete destop icon XP

    Twisted One wrote in message news:...
    > ed wrote:
    > > I have an executeable file (.exe) file on my desktop which I can't
    > > delete. Everytime I try to delete it, rename it, change its extension
    > > type, anything, it always says the file is being accessed and cannot
    > > be written to at all. It'll even do this staright after startup when I
    > > haven't clicked on it. How can I get rid of it? I tried getting a
    > > shredder program, and that didnt work either. I've scanned it for
    > > viruses and there aren't any. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    > > Thanks alot.

    > Safe mode. It's being run at startup, which is rather suspicious.
    > Boot in safe mode and delete it from there. Also run msconfig and remove
    > any startup entries that refer to c:\documents and
    > settings\username\desktop, whatever username.

    ok i tried that. still no joy. in safe mode, it still said the file
    was being accessed. in msconfig, there was no programs that I didnt
    recognise, and none were pointing to the desktop. anyone know of a
    program that can delete files that are even still in use?
    ed

  5. Re: Can't delete destop icon XP

    I agree with the others.

    Question: Have you tried a system restore?

    If not, you can access this from Start>Programs>Accessories>System
    Tools then start System Restore. Just roll you system back to a
    date/time which you believe that the icon was never there.

    Let us know how it goes.

    HTH

    Peter
    Helpdesk: http://tinyurl.com/ERkb

  6. Re: Can't delete destop icon XP

    bigpig121@gmail.com (ed) writes:
    >ok i tried that. still no joy. in safe mode, it still said the file
    >was being accessed. in msconfig, there was no programs that I didnt
    >recognise, and none were pointing to the desktop. anyone know of a
    >program that can delete files that are even still in use?
    >ed

    I've found a work around when i need to replace a file and dont care
    if people are still using it (I would have *Told* them to get
    out... usually over lunch.

    command line del, move, etc ----no joy.
    GUI click drag, delete, etc ----no joy.
    Pasting a file of the same name over top of it ---- JOY!

    now that i've said this publicly ... i hope they don't fix it.

    --
    be safe.
    flip

  7. Re: Can't delete destop icon XP

    "PeterG" wrote in message news:<1112905679.002778.197080@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>...
    > I agree with the others.
    >
    > Question: Have you tried a system restore?
    >
    > If not, you can access this from Start>Programs>Accessories>System
    > Tools then start System Restore. Just roll you system back to a
    > date/time which you believe that the icon was never there.
    >
    > Let us know how it goes.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter
    > Helpdesk: http://tinyurl.com/ERkb

    I tried everyon above's ideas, all to no avail. I had just reset the
    windows restore manager, but luckily the first one was just before
    this file appeared, and now its gone. SO it's all done. Even when i
    created another file and pasted it over, it would paste over
    successfully, but I still couldnt delete it, don't know what went on
    there. Anyways, thanks for all the help.
    ed

+ Reply to Thread