Boot disk problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Boot disk problem - Microsoft Windows ; I have a 400 MHz Celeron processor running Windows 98. When I start up the machine, there is sometimes a few sharp beeps followed by an error message: Boot failed. Please insert BOOT DISK? [Or something to that extent] Most ...

  1. Boot disk problem

    I have a 400 MHz Celeron processor running Windows 98.

    When I start up the machine, there is sometimes a few sharp beeps
    followed by an error message:

    Boot failed.

    Please insert BOOT DISK?

    [Or something to that extent]

    Most of the time, the computer runs fine. Only recently has this
    problem arisen.

    How do you cure this problem (is it a sign of an aging machine -
    computer purchased in 1999!)

    Many thanks,

    AG.

  2. Re: Boot disk problem

    > When I start up the machine, there is sometimes a few sharp beeps
    > followed by an error message:
    > Boot failed.
    > Please insert BOOT DISK?
    > How do you cure this problem (is it a sign of an aging machine -
    > computer purchased in 1999!)

    It might be worth just making sure the HD cable is in properly - i`ve
    found in some cases the connections can oxidise, and removing the
    connector and replacing it can get it working again quite happily.

    Technically they shouldn`t oxidise, but its worked for me on occasions
    :-}

    If that doesn`t work, do you have SMART available as an option in the
    bios ? - its a way of monitoring the health of a HD if it supports it,
    and can warn of impending failure in some cases.

    There`s also a chance that the drive itself is on the way out - when the
    bearings or the motor start to fail the drive may struggle spinning up,
    which can lead to it not being detected properly when you first boot.

    If that`s the case, you need to get your data off it *urgently* - to the
    point where if you can get the machine to boot up, don`t switch it off,
    or the drive may never spin up again :-} (I had that happen to a machine
    in 1993 and lost a lot of data - I learned to make backups after that...)

  3. Re: Boot disk problem

    asif_givashi@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have a 400 MHz Celeron processor running Windows 98.

    Ah, curator of the Smithsonian's History of Computing exhibits are we?

    > Most of the time, the computer runs fine. Only recently has this
    > problem arisen.

    That is surprising, since it's been obsolete for much longer, and the
    warranty expired some time towards the end of the last millennium.

    > How do you cure this problem (is it a sign of an aging machine -
    > computer purchased in 1999!)

    You put that overgrown sub-GHz desktop calculator out to pasture and get
    a real computer.

  4. Re: Boot disk problem

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    > Technically they shouldn`t oxidise, but its worked for me on occasions
    > :-}

    They shouldn't oxidise during the expected service life of a machine;
    one that's been sitting in a museum for a decade or so and then,
    mysteriously, is booted up is another story entirely.

    > If that`s the case, you need to get your data off it *urgently* - to the
    > point where if you can get the machine to boot up, don`t switch it off,
    > or the drive may never spin up again :-} (I had that happen to a machine
    > in 1993 and lost a lot of data - I learned to make backups after that...)

    Data loss? If the motor fails the platters should be intact. Just
    replace the motor.

  5. Re: Boot disk problem

    > > I have a 400 MHz Celeron processor running Windows 98.
    > Ah, curator of the Smithsonian's History of Computing exhibits are we?

    Damn, what do I do with the Amiga I was programming on from 1993 ?

  6. Re: Boot disk problem

    > Data loss? If the motor fails the platters should be intact. Just
    > replace the motor.

    This is beyond the capability of most users - and I wouldn`t attempt it
    myself.

  7. Re: Boot disk problem

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >>Data loss? If the motor fails the platters should be intact. Just
    >>replace the motor.

    > This is beyond the capability of most users - and I wouldn`t attempt it
    > myself.

    It shouldn't be beyond the capability of qualified service people though.