w98, no icons after login - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on w98, no icons after login - Microsoft Windows ; Last June, my Gateway PIII-450, Win98se, started the following irritating behavior: It goes through the windows splash screen, the login doalog appears, I log in, then the disc drives whir for a moment, and a error box pops up telling ...

  1. w98, no icons after login

    Last June, my Gateway PIII-450, Win98se, started the following irritating
    behavior: It goes through the windows splash screen, the login doalog
    appears, I log in, then the disc drives whir for a moment, and a error box
    pops up telling me there was an error in explorer, which will be shut down.
    At that point, the normal windows bacground is there, but no icons apprear
    on the screen, and there is no task bar. I can access all the drives on
    that machine through networked computers, and I can press cntr-alt-delete to
    log out.

    This behavior happen after I uninstalled a program I hadn't used in two
    years. In the uninstall dialog, a bx popped up telling me that a particular
    dll was no longer in use, should it be removed? I clicked yes. The
    computer was fine for the rest of the day, but when I rebooted, the problem
    began.

    I've rebooted in safe mode; no luck, the same thing happens in safe mode,
    even if I choose VGA mode.

    I've done the step-by-step confirmation without enlightenment.

    I've examined the bootlog; no enlightenment.

    I've installed win2000 to check for hatrdware problems; none found. But
    win2000 doesn't give me access to all the old win98 programs.

    What I want: to once again access all the win98 programs, retrieve my
    archived e-mail for the last time, perform a backup, and give away / throw
    away the system.

  2. Re: w98, no icons after login

    H.W. Stockman wrote:
    > Last June, my Gateway PIII-450, Win98se, started the following

    irritating
    > behavior: It goes through the windows splash screen, the login

    doalog
    > appears, I log in, then the disc drives whir for a moment, and a

    error box
    > pops up telling me there was an error in explorer, which will be shut

    down.
    > At that point, the normal windows bacground is there, but no icons

    apprear
    > on the screen, and there is no task bar. I can access all the drives

    on
    > that machine through networked computers, and I can press

    cntr-alt-delete to
    > log out.

    If you can get task manager off the Ctrl+alt+del button press, then
    choose file->new task(run) and restart the windows GUI by typing
    explorer.exe

    that should give you back the task bar and icons and such. If, however
    the same crash happens again, then I would try booting off the orig
    windows cd and choosing repair, and have the OS repaired.
    oh no wait in win 98 there is no repair option, but you can reload
    windows to the same directory, It will start and run, but it will play
    havoc on your registered programs and saved network options, however
    most(all) of your files will still be available to you.

    Good luck!

  3. Re: w98, no icons after login

    "Fee05" wrote in message
    news:1112813346.650607.205690@l41g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > H.W. Stockman wrote:
    > > Last June, my Gateway PIII-450, Win98se, started the following

    > irritating
    > > behavior: It goes through the windows splash screen, the login

    [...]
    > If you can get task manager off the Ctrl+alt+del button press, then
    > choose file->new task(run) and restart the windows GUI by typing
    > explorer.exe

    Thanks -- I don't get such an option (no "file" in the task manager of
    win98).

    Unless I think of something radically new in the next day, I'll just back up
    everything I can over the network, then reinstall win98.

    Thanks again, I appreciate any suggestions!

  4. Re: w98, no icons after login

    You could try running System File Checker and replacing any files it
    identifies as corrupted
    from your Windows CD.

    In news:J5Y4e.2060$yq6.901@newsread3.news.pas.earthli nk.net,
    H.W. Stockman stated
    | "Fee05" wrote in message
    | news:1112813346.650607.205690@l41g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    || H.W. Stockman wrote:
    ||| Last June, my Gateway PIII-450, Win98se, started the following
    ||| irritating behavior: It goes through the windows splash screen,
    ||| the login
    | [...]
    || If you can get task manager off the Ctrl+alt+del button press, then
    || choose file->new task(run) and restart the windows GUI by typing
    || explorer.exe
    |
    | Thanks -- I don't get such an option (no "file" in the task manager of
    | win98).
    |
    | Unless I think of something radically new in the next day, I'll just
    | back up everything I can over the network, then reinstall win98.
    |
    | Thanks again, I appreciate any suggestions!

  5. Re: w98, no icons after login

    I've seen this several times.

    Sometimes I have been able to run the Win98SE install and everything
    comes back as it was before. Make sure you run it as an "upgrade" not an
    "install" or it will wipe everything.

    However, I have had a couple that didn't respond and had to do a format
    and new install.

    Roger Vicker, CCP

    --
    *** Vicker Programming and Service *** Have bits will byte *** www.vicker.com ***
    The price of greatness is the responsibility.

  6. Re: w98, no icons after login

    If all you want is your email, just copy everything over the net
    (since you can see the files that way) and dump the PC.

    Your new system should be able to access your email files you saved.
    What do you want to accomplish running your programs under Win98 for
    one last time?

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:07:00 GMT, "H.W. Stockman"
    wrote:

    >Last June, my Gateway PIII-450, Win98se, started the following irritating
    >behavior: It goes through the windows splash screen, the login doalog
    >appears, I log in, then the disc drives whir for a moment, and a error box
    >pops up telling me there was an error in explorer, which will be shut down.
    >At that point, the normal windows bacground is there, but no icons apprear
    >on the screen, and there is no task bar. I can access all the drives on
    >that machine through networked computers, and I can press cntr-alt-delete to
    >log out.
    >
    >This behavior happen after I uninstalled a program I hadn't used in two
    >years. In the uninstall dialog, a bx popped up telling me that a particular
    >dll was no longer in use, should it be removed? I clicked yes. The
    >computer was fine for the rest of the day, but when I rebooted, the problem
    >began.
    >
    >I've rebooted in safe mode; no luck, the same thing happens in safe mode,
    >even if I choose VGA mode.
    >
    >I've done the step-by-step confirmation without enlightenment.
    >
    >I've examined the bootlog; no enlightenment.
    >
    >I've installed win2000 to check for hatrdware problems; none found. But
    >win2000 doesn't give me access to all the old win98 programs.
    >
    >What I want: to once again access all the win98 programs, retrieve my
    >archived e-mail for the last time, perform a backup, and give away / throw
    >away the system.

    ----------------

    "Jim, you think he's with Jesus now? We only have 30 seconds." - Larry King to "Passion" star Jim Caviezel, on the Pope.

  7. Re: w98, no icons after login

    Jed Taylor wrote:
    > If all you want is your email, just copy everything over the net
    > (since you can see the files that way) and dump the PC.
    >
    > Your new system should be able to access your email files you saved.
    > What do you want to accomplish running your programs under Win98 for
    > one last time?

    I'm guessing the email is in a particular program's format and needs to
    be exported as text files from within that program to be usable.

  8. Re: w98, no icons after login

    "Jed Taylor" wrote in message
    > If all you want is your email, just copy everything over the net
    > (since you can see the files that way) and dump the PC.
    >
    > Your new system should be able to access your email files you saved.
    > What do you want to accomplish running your programs under Win98 for
    > one last time?

    There are some programs necessary to access data on the old machine. E.g.,
    the jaz drive compression. I don't plan on reinstalling the jaz drive
    anywhere.

  9. Re: w98, no icons after login

    "Roger Vicker, CCP" wrote in message
    > I've seen this several times.
    >
    > Sometimes I have been able to run the Win98SE install and everything
    > comes back as it was before. Make sure you run it as an "upgrade" not an
    > "install" or it will wipe everything.

    All my win98se disks are complete upgrades, "for distribution with a new
    PC". When I try to install from them -- and they all (3) have different
    start screens-- I never seem to get an option to do an upgrade only -- I get
    dire warnings about destroying a previous OS (that was detected). I always
    chicken out at that point. Should I get the option to "upgrade" if I just
    go a bit further?

  10. Re: w98, no icons after login

    OEM Disks are for clean installs only. I think if you run SFC. that might
    help.
    "H.W. Stockman" wrote in message
    news:sli5e.2531$yq6.1394@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...

    > "Roger Vicker, CCP" wrote in message
    >> I've seen this several times.
    >>
    >> Sometimes I have been able to run the Win98SE install and everything
    >> comes back as it was before. Make sure you run it as an "upgrade" not an
    >> "install" or it will wipe everything.

    > All my win98se disks are complete upgrades, "for distribution with a new
    > PC". When I try to install from them -- and they all (3) have different
    > start screens-- I never seem to get an option to do an upgrade only -- I
    > get
    > dire warnings about destroying a previous OS (that was detected). I
    > always
    > chicken out at that point. Should I get the option to "upgrade" if I just
    > go a bit further?

  11. Re: w98, no icons after login

    "Tim" wrote in message
    > OEM Disks are for clean installs only. I think if you run SFC. that might
    > help.

    SFC is a windows-only program, isn't it? Either I'm in character mode, with
    the CD accessible from a prompt, or I get to windows wallpaper with no icons
    and no way to run any programs (except I can ctrl-alt-delete to shut it
    down).

  12. Re: w98, no icons after login

    Does your windows key on the key board open the start menu?

    In news:3Dn5e.2727$yq6.1434@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net,
    H.W. Stockman stated
    | "Tim" wrote in message
    || OEM Disks are for clean installs only. I think if you run SFC. that
    || might help.
    |
    | SFC is a windows-only program, isn't it? Either I'm in character
    | mode, with the CD accessible from a prompt, or I get to windows
    | wallpaper with no icons and no way to run any programs (except I can
    | ctrl-alt-delete to shut it down).

  13. Re: w98, no icons after login

    "Joan F (MI)" wrote in message
    news:1112972535.0d911fc37ea89ca0c8a2e2f1f0621a86@t eranews...
    > Does your windows key on the key board open the start menu?

    No. When the PC is in this icon-less mode with wallpaper only, the
    "Windows" key does absolutely nothing

  14. Re: w98, no icons after login

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:02:22 GMT, "H.W. Stockman"
    wrote:

    >"Joan F (MI)" wrote in message
    >news:1112972535.0d911fc37ea89ca0c8a2e2f1f0621a86@t eranews...
    >> Does your windows key on the key board open the start menu?
    >>

    >No. When the PC is in this icon-less mode with wallpaper only, the
    >"Windows" key does absolutely nothing

    Maybe your shell isn't loading correctly? Start the computer in
    command line mode (hit F8 while booting) and edit the
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI file.

    In the [boot] section, look for a line SHELL=EXPLORER.EXE
    You could try changing it so it loads up a different shell, such as
    SHELL=PROGMAN.EXE (which loads the old Windows3 Program Manager).
    Maybe that will let you access your system?

    If worst comes to worst, download something like knoppix
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html , which is a bootable CD
    that will let you start your computer, access the drives and back up
    the data to CD-R. Then you can wipe the system and start from scratch
    with a clean Win98 install.

  15. Re: w98, no icons after login

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:38:52 -0400, Twisted One
    wrote:

    >Jed Taylor wrote:
    >> If all you want is your email, just copy everything over the net
    >> (since you can see the files that way) and dump the PC.
    >>
    >> Your new system should be able to access your email files you saved.
    >> What do you want to accomplish running your programs under Win98 for
    >> one last time?

    >I'm guessing the email is in a particular program's format and needs to
    >be exported as text files from within that program to be usable.

    Unless the email program is a 16-bit DOS program, I'd just install it
    on the new XP install and point it at the email store.

    ----------------

    "Am I the evil genius in the corner that nobody ever sees come out of his hole? It's a nice way to operate, actually." -- Vice President Dick Cheney

  16. Re: w98, no icons after login

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 14:37:34 GMT, "H.W. Stockman"
    wrote:

    >"Jed Taylor" wrote in message
    >> If all you want is your email, just copy everything over the net
    >> (since you can see the files that way) and dump the PC.
    >>
    >> Your new system should be able to access your email files you saved.
    >> What do you want to accomplish running your programs under Win98 for
    >> one last time?

    >There are some programs necessary to access data on the old machine. E.g.,
    >the jaz drive compression. I don't plan on reinstalling the jaz drive
    >anywhere.

    Ah - do you have enough room to install the OS into it's own
    directory? IOW, instead of installing it into c:\windows, install it
    into c:\win98.

    Then install whatever software you need to pull your files off the
    Jazz drive.

    ----------------

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." -- George W. Bush

  17. Re: w98, no icons after login

    > What I want: to once again access all the win98 programs, retrieve my
    > archived e-mail for the last time, perform a backup, and give away / throw
    > away the system.

    If all you want to do is get access to all your locally stored files and
    applications (presumably to backup data) then there is a fairly easy way to
    do this in Win 98. Judging from the behavior you described something in the
    explorer shell might be corrupted.
    You need to boot to a command prompt (using the start menu-the same way you
    boot to safe mode) by choosing command prompt only.
    Then using DOS commands, navigate to c:\windows (if in the root c:\
    directory, type cd windows). Edit the system.ini (type edit system.ini).
    Look for the "shell=explorer" line and change it to "shell=winfile.exe"

    When you reboot your computer, will come up to the old Windows 3.x style
    file manager. When it comes up successfully, you should be able to navigate
    your hard drive, floppy and cd drives normally to copy files. You should
    also be able to execute MOST applications, including cd burning software.
    The caviate is that all files and directories will appear truncated as if
    you were using DOS. You will have to look in the specific directories where
    your programs have been installed to execute them.

+ Reply to Thread