Strange Hard Disk Message - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Strange Hard Disk Message - Microsoft Windows ; I am getting a strange message after defragging the hard disk. The message is Working Hard Disk has changed Disk boot failure press F1 I am using XP Pro. After booting the machine up it is hanging on Scandisk at ...

  1. Strange Hard Disk Message

    I am getting a strange message after defragging the hard disk. The
    message is Working Hard Disk has changed Disk boot failure press F1 I
    am using XP Pro.

    After booting the machine up it is hanging on Scandisk at 54%.

    I cannot access Event viewer to see if there any errors.

    I have checked the online manufacturer scan utility and this is crashing it as well.

    Can you let me know if you have any ideas or you can recommend any
    utils for this.

  2. Re: Strange Hard Disk Message

    David: I'd suggest booting from the XP Install CD and taking the
    first Repair(R) option. This will give you the Recovery Console.
    From there issue: chkdsk /r
    This will attempt to recover data on any defective sector(s), and
    if it/they are really defective it/they will then be marked as such
    so the OS doesn't try to use such sector(s) again.

    If this hangs or crashes, I'd recommend going to another PC
    and downloading stand-alone diagnostics for your PC hardware.
    Typically downloading such diagnostics enables you to create a
    boot disk to boot the diagnostics. Then run a "custom" diagnostic
    against the fixed disk AND mother board. (Also, it may be that
    you can boot to a diagnostic partition on your system).

    Skip

    On 5 Apr 2005 05:10:27 -0700, dbissell@btinternet.com (David) wrote:

    -|I am getting a strange message after defragging the hard disk. The
    -|message is Working Hard Disk has changed Disk boot failure press F1 I
    -|am using XP Pro.
    -|
    -|After booting the machine up it is hanging on Scandisk at 54%.
    -|
    -|I cannot access Event viewer to see if there any errors.
    -|
    -|I have checked the online manufacturer scan utility and this is crashing it as well.
    -|
    -|Can you let me know if you have any ideas or you can recommend any
    -|utils for this.

  3. Re: Strange Hard Disk Message

    Herman D. Knoble wrote:
    > David: I'd suggest booting from the XP Install CD...

    Fat lot of good advice like that does most people, who don't get a
    proper install CD, just a "recovery disk" that blows away their HDD if
    they use it or sometimes not even that...

  4. Re: Strange Hard Disk Message

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Herman D. Knoble wrote:
    >> David: I'd suggest booting from the XP Install CD...

    > Fat lot of good advice like that does most people, who don't get a
    > proper install CD, just a "recovery disk" that blows away their HDD if
    > they use it or sometimes not even that...

    I know what you mean. I had to deal with Packard Bell the other day that
    had lost something in the network section so I couldn't install ADSL.
    The copy of Windows was on the hard disk of course as well as all the
    other junk that these people give you which is more a nuisance than
    anything else, such as Norton, pure unadulterated crap.
    I followed the instructions in the manual, and sent the special PB
    programme to make backup disks which I knew would wipe off everything
    (which didn't matter too much fortunately). Not one XP disk but 5 CDs in
    the end. After having made them I put in the first which, of course,
    formatted the disk and then began to reinstall. A minute later a message
    'File Not Found'. Oh well done chaps, my congraulations. If I had found
    Mr Packard or Mr Bel at that moment I would have stangled them with my
    own hands.
    I then did what I should have done in the first place, I installed a
    normal Windows XP, had the ADSL up in five minutes and now it ticks like
    a clock. NEVER buy brand names.

+ Reply to Thread