Program able to intercept and undo registry writes? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Program able to intercept and undo registry writes? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi! I'm looking for an application capable of intercepting any program's registry write, and undoing them completely. I need it because I like to test a lot of freeware/shareware programs, but I hate it that when I uninstall them they ...

  1. Program able to intercept and undo registry writes?

    Hi!
    I'm looking for an application capable of intercepting any
    program's registry write, and undoing them completely. I
    need it because I like to test a lot of freeware/shareware
    programs, but I hate it that when I uninstall them they
    leave traces in my registry. I'm using Windows 2000.

    Any advice on a freeware/shareware/commercial application
    able to do it?

    Thanks!
    Nino

  2. Re: Program able to intercept and undo registry writes?

    nino@NOSPAM.com wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I'm looking for an application capable of intercepting any
    > program's registry write, and undoing them completely. I
    > need it because I like to test a lot of freeware/shareware
    > programs, but I hate it that when I uninstall them they
    > leave traces in my registry. I'm using Windows 2000.
    >
    > Any advice on a freeware/shareware/commercial application
    > able to do it?

    Eh? Just make a system restore point before each install; if you decide
    not to keep it uninstall and then restore to the restore point. Wash,
    rinse, repeat. Registry changes and any other config changes left by a
    sloppy uninstaller should be removed. So should any spyware that hitches
    along and doesn't get uninstalled. If you're really worried, back up
    your registry manually as well and get spybot search and destroy and
    ad-aware.

  3. Re: Program able to intercept and undo registry writes?

    >> Hi!
    >> I'm looking for an application capable of intercepting any
    >> program's registry write, and undoing them completely. I
    >> need it because I like to test a lot of freeware/shareware
    >> programs, but I hate it that when I uninstall them they
    >> leave traces in my registry. I'm using Windows 2000.
    >>
    >> Any advice on a freeware/shareware/commercial application
    >> able to do it?

    SPYBOT

    It will let you know if some program wants to change a registry setting.
    You get to say yes or no.

    -Jim

  4. Re: Program able to intercept and undo registry writes?

    Jim wrote:
    > SPYBOT
    >
    > It will let you know if some program wants to change a registry setting.
    > You get to say yes or no.

    Doesn't it only monitor specific settings -- especially run, runonce,
    and the like?

  5. Re: Program able to intercept and undo registry writes?

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> SPYBOT
    >>
    >> It will let you know if some program wants to change a registry
    >> setting. You get to say yes or no.

    > Doesn't it only monitor specific settings -- especially run, runonce,
    > and the like?

    That I do not know. It seems to me that it looks for any change.

  6. Re: Program able to intercept and undo registry writes?

    nino@NOSPAM.com wrote in news:ZAb4e.733811$b5.33133169@news3.tin.it:

    > Hi!
    > I'm looking for an application capable of intercepting any
    > program's registry write, and undoing them completely.
    > Any advice on a freeware/shareware/commercial application
    > able to do it?

    See:
    http://tejasconsulting.com/open-test...tallwatch.html

    for a review of InstallWatch Pro. This program (I've used it and have
    written my own review) does not undo what an installation has done. It does
    give you a list of every difference it can find, from which you can
    manually undo the changes.

    My review mentions a failed removal attempt from which the reviewer at the
    above link erroneously derived a generalization of my efforts. This
    particular program's installation uses some deep under-cover techniques
    that InstallWatch Pro is not equipped to scan for. (I'm going to hazard a
    SWAG and say the installer accessed the hard drive directly and planted a
    code in a sector then marked that sector as used - somehow hiding it from
    scandisk.)

    Anyway, this program, or one of the others mentioned by Tejas Consulting,
    might be what you are looking for.

    --
    Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

    Brian Smither
    Smither Consulting

  7. Re: Program able to intercept and undo registry writes?

    Brian Smither wrote:
    > My review mentions a failed removal attempt from which the reviewer at the
    > above link erroneously derived a generalization of my efforts. This
    > particular program's installation uses some deep under-cover techniques
    > that InstallWatch Pro is not equipped to scan for. (I'm going to hazard a
    > SWAG and say the installer accessed the hard drive directly and planted a
    > code in a sector then marked that sector as used - somehow hiding it from
    > scandisk.)

    SWAG?

  8. Re: Program able to intercept and undo registry writes?

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Brian Smither wrote:
    >
    >> My review mentions a failed removal attempt from which the reviewer at
    >> the above link erroneously derived a generalization of my efforts.
    >> This particular program's installation uses some deep under-cover
    >> techniques that InstallWatch Pro is not equipped to scan for. (I'm
    >> going to hazard a SWAG and say the installer accessed the hard drive
    >> directly and planted a code in a sector then marked that sector as
    >> used - somehow hiding it from scandisk.)

    > SWAG?

    Scientific Wild-Ass Guess...

+ Reply to Thread