Memory Problem - Too much memory! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Memory Problem - Too much memory! - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I have purchased a program that has been written for an old version of windows (around 1997). I try to run it on Windows XP. What happens is: 1) When I run it on a computer that has less ...

  1. Memory Problem - Too much memory!

    Hi,
    I have purchased a program that has been written for an old version of
    windows (around 1997). I try to run it on Windows XP.
    What happens is:
    1) When I run it on a computer that has less than 512Mb of memory it
    works.
    2) When i run it on a computer that more than 512Mb of memory it gives
    an error: "Runtime error 2004: Out of Memory".

    The program support says I must fix the problem by running msconfig and
    limiting the memory to 512Mb in Boot.ini. I don't think it is an
    acceptable solution!
    I tried to fix the problem by using the Microsft answer at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181966/EN-US/ and changing the vcache
    settings but it did not help. I am not even sure it is the same
    problem...
    Any creative idea?

    Thanks a lot.
    -David

  2. Re: Memory Problem - Too much memory!

    On 4 Apr 2005 00:37:55 -0700, VadorDark@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have purchased a program that has been written for an old version of
    > windows (around 1997). I try to run it on Windows XP.
    > What happens is:
    > 1) When I run it on a computer that has less than 512Mb of memory it
    > works.
    > 2) When i run it on a computer that more than 512Mb of memory it gives
    > an error: "Runtime error 2004: Out of Memory".
    >
    > The program support says I must fix the problem by running msconfig and
    > limiting the memory to 512Mb in Boot.ini. I don't think it is an
    > acceptable solution!
    > I tried to fix the problem by using the Microsft answer at:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181966/EN-US/ and changing the vcache
    > settings but it did not help. I am not even sure it is the same
    > problem...
    > Any creative idea?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    > -David

    Im not sure how creative this; but I'll give it a shot. I've run into
    problems before and went to using VMware for Windows and installing a guest
    operating system that met the needs. With VMware one can control the
    virtual memory that a guest system can use or have access to. But VMware
    costs! My company bought me both VMware for Linux and Windows so I tend to
    run things in both that I need. The handy part of VMware guest images is
    that they are portable.

    Perhaps this could solve the problem? You can download an eval version of
    VMware and see.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

+ Reply to Thread