Can't boot my cloned hard disk - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Can't boot my cloned hard disk - Microsoft Windows ; I'm trying to move to a bigger, faster hard disk for my C Drive. I've made an image of the old C Drive with Norton Ghost 9.0.2.3981, and then I've copied that image to a brand new disk. The files ...

  1. Can't boot my cloned hard disk

    I'm trying to move to a bigger, faster hard disk for my C Drive. I've
    made an image of the old C Drive with Norton Ghost 9.0.2.3981, and
    then I've copied that image to a brand new disk. The files are all on
    the new disk OK, but it won't boot.
    What do I have to do to the new disk to make it so the computer boots
    it when I switch it on? I expect it's something to do with the Master
    Boot Record, but I'm not entirely sure what to do, and when. Is there
    a switch in Ghost to make the disk bootable? Or do I use fdisk or
    something? And if I do use fdisk, what is the command line switch and
    do I do it before or after copying the image to the disk?
    It's all very unclear to me what steps I need to take, and I would
    appreciate any advice you can give me.

    thanks

    john

  2. Re: Can't boot my cloned hard disk

    John Davidson wrote:
    > I'm trying to move to a bigger, faster hard disk for my C Drive. I've
    > made an image of the old C Drive with Norton Ghost 9.0.2.3981, and
    > then I've copied that image to a brand new disk. The files are all on
    > the new disk OK, but it won't boot.
    > What do I have to do to the new disk to make it so the computer boots
    > it when I switch it on? I expect it's something to do with the Master
    > Boot Record, but I'm not entirely sure what to do, and when. Is there
    > a switch in Ghost to make the disk bootable? Or do I use fdisk or
    > something? And if I do use fdisk, what is the command line switch and
    > do I do it before or after copying the image to the disk?
    > It's all very unclear to me what steps I need to take, and I would
    > appreciate any advice you can give me.

    Run fdisk and verify that the boot partition is active.

  3. Re: Can't boot my cloned hard disk

    Mistoffolees wrote:
    > Run fdisk and verify that the boot partition is active.

    I think also, fdisk /mbr will write a master boot record to the drive,
    if there isn't one already. (It will also clobber any linux boot loader
    or boot menu or similar that was installed on that drive!)

  4. Re: Can't boot my cloned hard disk

    On 2 Apr 2005 18:48:26 -0800, jtdavidson@gmail.com (John Davidson)
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to move to a bigger, faster hard disk for my C Drive. I've
    >made an image of the old C Drive with Norton Ghost 9.0.2.3981, and
    >then I've copied that image to a brand new disk. The files are all on
    >the new disk OK, but it won't boot.
    >What do I have to do to the new disk to make it so the computer boots
    >it when I switch it on? I expect it's something to do with the Master
    >Boot Record, but I'm not entirely sure what to do, and when.

    use MBRwork program & save MBR from older disk & than later
    mount/restore it on new one (U need Dos boot FD for operation).
    --
    ˛˛ ˛˛ Regards , SPAJKY ®
    \\.//_. mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
    || "Tualatin OC-ed / BX-Slot1 / inaudible setup!"

  5. Re: Can't boot my cloned hard disk

    John Davidson wrote:

    > I'm trying to move to a bigger, faster hard disk for my C Drive. I've
    > made an image of the old C Drive with Norton Ghost 9.0.2.3981, and
    > then I've copied that image to a brand new disk. The files are all on
    > the new disk OK, but it won't boot.
    > What do I have to do to the new disk to make it so the computer boots
    > it when I switch it on? I expect it's something to do with the Master
    > Boot Record, but I'm not entirely sure what to do, and when. Is there
    > a switch in Ghost to make the disk bootable? Or do I use fdisk or
    > something? And if I do use fdisk, what is the command line switch and
    > do I do it before or after copying the image to the disk?
    > It's all very unclear to me what steps I need to take, and I would
    > appreciate any advice you can give me.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > john

    Try this command

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...ns_fixmbr.mspx

    You will need to be in recovery, which you get from booting form your
    windows XP CD. Another thing to watch out for is to make sure your new
    drive/partition is being recognized as the same letter the old drive
    partition was i.e. old drive was C: so the new drive needs to be C: in my
    experience windows XP will not boot if you move it to drive D: when it was
    originally on C: this is because of anti-piracy i think. If the problem is
    only with the MBR then the above command should work.

    Dan
    --
    Got Linux?

  6. Re: Can't boot my cloned hard disk

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Mistoffolees wrote:
    >
    >> Run fdisk and verify that the boot partition is active.

    > I think also, fdisk /mbr will write a master boot record to the drive,
    > if there isn't one already. (It will also clobber any linux boot loader
    > or boot menu or similar that was installed on that drive!)

    That is correct...fdisk /mbr will write a new master boot
    record. However, running fdisk without any toggles should
    bring up a set of options, including the ability to view
    the status of a HD partition.

  7. Re: Can't boot my cloned hard disk

    dan wrote in message news:<115004gnrcqdm9f@corp.supernews.com>...
    > John Davidson wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to move to a bigger, faster hard disk for my C Drive. I've
    > > made an image of the old C Drive with Norton Ghost 9.0.2.3981, and
    > > then I've copied that image to a brand new disk. The files are all on
    > > the new disk OK, but it won't boot.
    > > What do I have to do to the new disk to make it so the computer boots
    > > it when I switch it on? I expect it's something to do with the Master
    > > Boot Record, but I'm not entirely sure what to do, and when. Is there
    > > a switch in Ghost to make the disk bootable? Or do I use fdisk or
    > > something? And if I do use fdisk, what is the command line switch and
    > > do I do it before or after copying the image to the disk?
    > > It's all very unclear to me what steps I need to take, and I would
    > > appreciate any advice you can give me.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > john

    > Try this command
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...ns_fixmbr.mspx
    >
    > You will need to be in recovery, which you get from booting form your
    > windows XP CD. Another thing to watch out for is to make sure your new
    > drive/partition is being recognized as the same letter the old drive
    > partition was i.e. old drive was C: so the new drive needs to be C: in my
    > experience windows XP will not boot if you move it to drive D: when it was
    > originally on C: this is because of anti-piracy i think. If the problem is
    > only with the MBR then the above command should work.
    >
    > Dan

    Thanks Dan. I tried what everyone said and it's still not booting. The
    new drive is a serial ata, whereas the old drive was on a regular IDE
    drive. So I expect it likely does have a different drive name from C:.
    How do I change it to be the C: drive?

    John

  8. Re: Can't boot my cloned hard disk

    John Davidson wrote:

    > Thanks Dan. I tried what everyone said and it's still not booting. The
    > new drive is a serial ata, whereas the old drive was on a regular IDE
    > drive. So I expect it likely does have a different drive name from C:.
    > How do I change it to be the C: drive?

    Is this S-ATA drive designated the boot drive in the
    bios setup?

+ Reply to Thread