Cannot edit my HOSTS file??! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Cannot edit my HOSTS file??! - Microsoft Windows ; I cannot edit my Hosts file. Something sinister, I fear, is keeping me from editing it. When I edit it and try to sabe it, I get a windows message that the file is in use by "another program". I ...

  1. Cannot edit my HOSTS file??!

    I cannot edit my Hosts file. Something sinister, I fear, is keeping me
    from editing it.

    When I edit it and try to sabe it, I get a windows message that the
    file is in use by "another program".

    I run Pest Patrol and Lava Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm, and Norton AntiVirus.

    I do not have host file locking turned on in any of my anti-spyware
    programs, nor in Norton Antivirus, either.

    I CAN edit the file in safe mode. But when I get back into normal;
    mode, it can no longer be replaced with an edited copy, nor can it be
    deleted.

    Any suggestions on how to go about fining the offending program that
    has hijacked the file access?

    Thanks in advance, folks.

  2. Re: Cannot edit my HOSTS file??!

    > I cannot edit my Hosts file. Something sinister, I fear, is keeping me
    > from editing it.

    Are there any strange entries in there you want to edit out ? (mine
    appears to be read-only too, although I have edited it in the past)

  3. Re: Cannot edit my HOSTS file??!

    wrote in message
    news:1112401050.225906.221040@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > I cannot edit my Hosts file. Something sinister, I fear, is keeping me
    > from editing it.
    >
    > When I edit it and try to sabe it, I get a windows message that the
    > file is in use by "another program".
    >
    > I run Pest Patrol and Lava Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm, and Norton AntiVirus.
    >
    > I do not have host file locking turned on in any of my anti-spyware
    > programs, nor in Norton Antivirus, either.
    >
    > I CAN edit the file in safe mode. But when I get back into normal;
    > mode, it can no longer be replaced with an edited copy, nor can it be
    > deleted.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to go about fining the offending program that
    > has hijacked the file access?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, folks.

    If you are running Windows 2000 or XP and you're not an Administrator you
    will get this error. You'll need to log in as an adminstrator to edit the
    file. Hope this helps. At least I can replicate that here.

    Hope this helps.

  4. Re: Cannot edit my HOSTS file??!

    "Cleveland Tech" wrote in message
    newsWm3e.16981$DW.3578@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...

    > wrote in message
    > news:1112401050.225906.221040@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > > I cannot edit my Hosts file. Something sinister, I fear, is keeping me
    > > from editing it.
    > >
    > > When I edit it and try to sabe it, I get a windows message that the
    > > file is in use by "another program".
    > >
    > > I run Pest Patrol and Lava Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm, and Norton AntiVirus.
    > >
    > > I do not have host file locking turned on in any of my anti-spyware
    > > programs, nor in Norton Antivirus, either.
    > >
    > > I CAN edit the file in safe mode. But when I get back into normal;
    > > mode, it can no longer be replaced with an edited copy, nor can it be
    > > deleted.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on how to go about fining the offending program that
    > > has hijacked the file access?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance, folks.
    > >

    > If you are running Windows 2000 or XP and you're not an Administrator you
    > will get this error. You'll need to log in as an adminstrator to edit the
    > file. Hope this helps. At least I can replicate that here.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    What I meant was that you'd need to be an adminsitrator (not logging in
    separately) - you'd need to have administrative rights in your account.

  5. Re: Cannot edit my HOSTS file??!

    I am the administrator, so it must be something else.

    Thanks for the suggestion, though.

  6. Re: Cannot edit my HOSTS file??!

    I am the administrator, so it must be something else.

    Thanks for the suggestion, though.

  7. Re: Cannot edit my HOSTS file??!

    Have you un-checked the Read-only check box in properties - for the Host file??

  8. Re: Cannot edit my HOSTS file??!

    Oh yes. That was done immediately upon noticing the problem.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

+ Reply to Thread