Enforcing drive letters on Win 98 and Win 2k - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Enforcing drive letters on Win 98 and Win 2k - Microsoft Windows ; I have a dual-boot (win 98/win 200) machine. Among other devices I have three hard drives: 1) Win 98 Boot, 2) Win 2000 Boot, 3) Data. I'm running audio recording software on both operating systems, but each needs to read/write ...

  1. Enforcing drive letters on Win 98 and Win 2k

    I have a dual-boot (win 98/win 200) machine. Among other devices I have
    three hard drives: 1) Win 98 Boot, 2) Win 2000 Boot, 3) Data.

    I'm running audio recording software on both operating systems, but
    each needs to read/write data from/to the Data drive. The two operating
    systems decide the drive letters for me and they're not the same for
    each. I need to force the drive letters for the Data drive so that for
    each boot the letter of the Data drive is consistent. Plus, I don't
    want the drive letters to suddenly rearrange if I decide to plug in
    another hard drive or CD drive in the future.

    Is there a way to separately enforce the drive letters for Win 98 and
    Win 2k?

    ~ Lauren

  2. Re: Enforcing drive letters on Win 98 and Win 2k

    "Lauren the Ravishing" wrote in message
    news:1112386351.735766.190440@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > I have a dual-boot (win 98/win 200) machine. Among other devices I have
    > three hard drives: 1) Win 98 Boot, 2) Win 2000 Boot, 3) Data.
    >
    > I'm running audio recording software on both operating systems, but
    > each needs to read/write data from/to the Data drive. The two operating
    > systems decide the drive letters for me and they're not the same for
    > each. I need to force the drive letters for the Data drive so that for
    > each boot the letter of the Data drive is consistent. Plus, I don't
    > want the drive letters to suddenly rearrange if I decide to plug in
    > another hard drive or CD drive in the future.
    >
    > Is there a way to separately enforce the drive letters for Win 98 and
    > Win 2k?
    >
    > ~ Lauren

    In Windows 98, you should be able to set the drive letter from Device
    Manager. From Windows 2000, you can set the drive letter from
    Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management.

    Hope this helps.

  3. Re: Enforcing drive letters on Win 98 and Win 2k

    Cleveland Tech wrote:
    > "Lauren the Ravishing" wrote in message
    > news:1112386351.735766.190440@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    >>I have a dual-boot (win 98/win 200) machine. Among other devices I have
    >>three hard drives: 1) Win 98 Boot, 2) Win 2000 Boot, 3) Data.
    >>
    >>I'm running audio recording software on both operating systems, but
    >>each needs to read/write data from/to the Data drive. The two operating
    >>systems decide the drive letters for me and they're not the same for
    >>each. I need to force the drive letters for the Data drive so that for
    >>each boot the letter of the Data drive is consistent. Plus, I don't
    >>want the drive letters to suddenly rearrange if I decide to plug in
    >>another hard drive or CD drive in the future.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to separately enforce the drive letters for Win 98 and
    >>Win 2k?
    >>
    >>~ Lauren
    >>

    > In Windows 98, you should be able to set the drive letter from Device
    > Manager. From Windows 2000, you can set the drive letter from
    > Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    In addition to this, may I suggest that you assign an high letter to the
    data drive.

    I assign Z to my CD. This way if I add a ram drive or plug in a USB
    drive the CD is still available as drive Z in scripts or shortcuts.

  4. Re: Enforcing drive letters on Win 98 and Win 2k

    Thank you for the info.

    In windows 98 I was able to change the letters of my CD-Rom drive, but
    not the secondary hard drives. The options for "current drive letter
    assignment," "start drive letter," and "end drive letter" are all
    greyed out.

    Any suggestions on how to get access to these settings?

    ~ L

    Jim wrote:
    > Cleveland Tech wrote:
    > > "Lauren the Ravishing" wrote in

    message
    > > news:1112386351.735766.190440@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > >
    > > In Windows 98, you should be able to set the drive letter from

    Device
    > > Manager. From Windows 2000, you can set the drive letter from
    > > Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >

    > In addition to this, may I suggest that you assign an high letter to

    the
    > data drive.
    >
    > I assign Z to my CD. This way if I add a ram drive or plug in a USB
    > drive the CD is still available as drive Z in scripts or shortcuts.

+ Reply to Thread