Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall.... - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall.... - Microsoft Windows ; Ok, i need some advice, I am trying to fix this computer (story of my life) and of coarse they are running Windows XP, It was full of virus,adware, spyware..your typical MS Box. anyway, I completely wiped the HD, with ...

  1. Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    Ok, i need some advice, I am trying to fix this computer (story of my life)
    and of coarse they are running Windows XP, It was full of virus,adware,
    spyware..your typical MS Box. anyway, I completely wiped the HD, with a
    third party utility, and then erased and reformated with the winXP install
    disk, and reinstalled XP....there is one virus seemingly that survived all
    this, giving us a pop up with instructions to go to a website
    errorfixer.com, which seems to be affiliated with spyware cleaner...what to
    do? Can a virus live in BIOS? Maybee I should reflash the BIOS, remove the
    system battery for a spell? Help always appreciated. Thanks.

    The system is a Dell, winXP home SP1.

    --
    Got Linux?

  2. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    dan wrote:
    > Ok, i need some advice, I am trying to fix this computer (story of my life)
    > and of coarse they are running Windows XP, It was full of virus,adware,
    > spyware..your typical MS Box. anyway, I completely wiped the HD, with a
    > third party utility, and then erased and reformated with the winXP install
    > disk, and reinstalled XP....there is one virus seemingly that survived all
    > this, giving us a pop up with instructions to go to a website
    > errorfixer.com, which seems to be affiliated with spyware cleaner...what to
    > do? Can a virus live in BIOS? Maybee I should reflash the BIOS, remove the
    > system battery for a spell? Help always appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > The system is a Dell, winXP home SP1.

    Might be attributed to a parasitic program that has been
    embedded into the Windows XP installation disk. Some OEM's
    do that to distribute advertising. See here:

    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

  3. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:10:56 UTC, dan
    wrote:

    -> Ok, i need some advice, I am trying to fix this computer (story of my life)
    -> and of coarse they are running Windows XP, It was full of virus,adware,
    -> spyware..your typical MS Box. anyway, I completely wiped the HD, with a
    -> third party utility, and then erased and reformated with the winXP install
    -> disk, and reinstalled XP....there is one virus seemingly that survived all
    -> this, giving us a pop up with instructions to go to a website
    -> errorfixer.com, which seems to be affiliated with spyware cleaner...what to
    -> do? Can a virus live in BIOS? Maybee I should reflash the BIOS, remove the
    -> system battery for a spell? Help always appreciated. Thanks.
    ->
    -> The system is a Dell, winXP home SP1.
    ->
    ->

    Sounds like these people need to switch platforms to Linux or Mac and
    use OpenOffice.org and FireFox. Then no more forced re-installs.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  4. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    > The system is a Dell, winXP home SP1.

    Just a thought - do you know if it has a restore partition ?

    Some Dell machines can instantly do a factory restore if you (IIRC)
    ALT-F2 when you boot up, but you`ll lose everything installed, and all
    docs etc I think... If you have a CD writer the odds are you can use a
    live linux distrib like knoppix to recover the data without having to
    boot into windows.

    Check out alt.sys.pc-clone.dell for more info

  5. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    dan wrote:

    > Ok, i need some advice, I am trying to fix this computer (story of my
    > life) and of coarse they are running Windows XP, It was full of
    > virus,adware, spyware..your typical MS Box. anyway, I completely wiped the
    > HD, with a third party utility, and then erased and reformated with the
    > winXP install disk, and reinstalled XP....there is one virus seemingly
    > that survived all this, giving us a pop up with instructions to go to a
    > website errorfixer.com, which seems to be affiliated with spyware
    > cleaner...what to do? Can a virus live in BIOS? Maybee I should reflash
    > the BIOS, remove the system battery for a spell? Help always appreciated.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > The system is a Dell, winXP home SP1.

    No, the virus can and does live on a CD. Its called M$ windoze.

  6. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    Ghostrider wrote:

    > dan wrote:
    >> Ok, i need some advice, I am trying to fix this computer (story of my
    >> life) and of coarse they are running Windows XP, It was full of
    >> virus,adware, spyware..your typical MS Box. anyway, I completely wiped
    >> the HD, with a third party utility, and then erased and reformated with
    >> the winXP install disk, and reinstalled XP....there is one virus
    >> seemingly that survived all this, giving us a pop up with instructions to
    >> go to a website errorfixer.com, which seems to be affiliated with spyware
    >> cleaner...what to do? Can a virus live in BIOS? Maybee I should reflash
    >> the BIOS, remove the system battery for a spell? Help always appreciated.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> The system is a Dell, winXP home SP1.
    >>

    > Might be attributed to a parasitic program that has been
    > embedded into the Windows XP installation disk. Some OEM's
    > do that to distribute advertising. See here:
    >
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    I checked out the website, and all of you I think are right, after
    reinstalling XP we did insert a DELL disk that had some software drivers on
    it and thats when the popups started, I just didn't rationalize right away
    that Dell would do such a thing. I have actually been using Linux on my own
    box for some time now and even when I used windows I guess I was more
    carefull then most people I know that I have helped with computer problems.
    Fixing their computer actually means removing the virus and such from it,
    two years of helping people with computer problems I have yet to see a
    failed piece of hardware, its always "My computer is so slow" and it's
    always because of these ad/spy programs. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant
    on in here, I assume thier is nothing to do about this because of software
    makers and the position they are in too make billions of dollars selling
    software that has security flaws, so other software makers can sell you
    more software to patch up the problem and make billions more, while its the
    software company itself that caused the need in the first place! Well I
    guess Bill Gates isn't very very rich for no reason at all. Take care all.
    Dan

    --
    Got Linux?

  7. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:10:56 UTC, dan
    > wrote:

    > Sounds like these people need to switch platforms to Linux or Mac and
    > use OpenOffice.org and FireFox. Then no more forced re-installs.

    Or Atari or Amiga, or Sun, or Cray..... This is a Windows group, your
    useless advice about changing OS is a complete waste of space and does
    nothing to solve the OPs problem.

  8. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    John of Aix wrote:

    > Mark Dodel wrote:
    >> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:10:56 UTC, dan
    >> wrote:

    >> Sounds like these people need to switch platforms to Linux or Mac and
    >> use OpenOffice.org and FireFox. Then no more forced re-installs.

    > Or Atari or Amiga, or Sun, or Cray..... This is a Windows group, your
    > useless advice about changing OS is a complete waste of space and does
    > nothing to solve the OPs problem.

    You have a point there.

    However, does changing the OS not solve the OPs problem ? Windoze solutions
    are bound to be of adhoc nature, prompting him / her to come back to you
    again after a few days / weeks (whatever time it takes for a windoze
    installation to wreck itself these days) with the same issue. The question
    is whether the OP wishes to lurch from disaster to disaster or put an end
    to the nonsense.

    Not unlike another question :

    Is giving a drug addict another fix a way to solve his addiction or to put
    him in detox and cure it (not postpone it) ?

  9. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:16:42 UTC, "John of Aix"
    wrote:

    -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    -> > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:10:56 UTC, dan
    -> > wrote:
    ->
    -> > Sounds like these people need to switch platforms to Linux or Mac and
    -> > use OpenOffice.org and FireFox. Then no more forced re-installs.
    ->
    -> Or Atari or Amiga, or Sun, or Cray..... This is a Windows group, your
    -> useless advice about changing OS is a complete waste of space

    Is it against some law some where to offer a better solution? I don't
    think so.

    >and does

    -> nothing to solve the OPs problem.
    ->

    Of course it is one possible real solution. No one has to run
    windows. Its just an operating system. Plus, you ignored my other
    advise to check out Norman Virus Control. But switiching the platform
    would be the best solution, at least in regard to windows' only
    problems like viruses, adware, spyware and exploits. I have no
    problem with any of that since I don't run windows. I don't run Linux
    or a Mac either, but those would probably be the best solutions for
    his users. Never saw an Amiga, Sun or a Cray, but whatever lights
    your bulb. I have worked with MVS on a 4381 and VSE on a 3090, but
    that wouldn't be of much use to to Dan now would it?

    Either way, your post is truly of no help to anyone.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  10. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > Never saw an Amiga, Sun or a Cray, but whatever lights your bulb.

    I have -- I had an Amiga, in the late 1980s, and I remotely logged onto
    and used some SparcStations with Solaris once. AFAICT, though:
    * Amigas are obsolete 80286-era machines;
    * Suns are mainframes and servers, not ordinary workstations; and
    * Crays are supercomputers, not ordinary workstations.
    A typical home or office user won't have either of the latter; if
    they're into retro games they might have an Amiga kicking around with
    some old games for it -- there were some damn fine games for those,
    including one of the earliest implementations of Tetris.

  11. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    > including one of the earliest implementations of Tetris.

    And the BEST implementation - Tetris Pro ;-)

  12. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 04:23:38 UTC, Twisted One
    wrote:

    -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    -> > Never saw an Amiga, Sun or a Cray, but whatever lights your bulb.
    ->
    -> I have -- I had an Amiga, in the late 1980s, and I remotely logged onto
    -> and used some SparcStations with Solaris once. AFAICT, though:
    -> * Amigas are obsolete 80286-era machines;

    I thought the Amiga used the Motorola CPUs? But the last Amiga's were
    probably from the era of the 286./386, though from what I remember
    they were year advanced in terms of graphics ability.

    -> * Suns are mainframes and servers, not ordinary workstations; and

    Its picky, but the only mainframes in recent years were from IBM,
    Hitachi (who made IBM clones that ran IBM's MVS, but have pretty much
    gotten out of that business). Cray makes supercomputers, which are
    into massive multi-processor systems. These tend to be more oriented
    to processing a single task as fast as possible, rather than
    supporting as many users/transactions as possible. Sun's machines
    were/are more in the mini-computer range, which were not quite as
    capable as a mainframe. Though any more there isn't much difference
    between a highend server and a mainframe or mini-computer. And Sun
    does make SPARC workstations, but they are for high-end
    graphhics/design applications and connecting to Sun servers.

    -> * Crays are supercomputers, not ordinary workstations.

    Either way none of those machines has problems with viruses or other
    malware. ;-) That is pretty much relegated to the windows world.

    -> A typical home or office user won't have either of the latter; if
    -> they're into retro games they might have an Amiga kicking around with
    -> some old games for it -- there were some damn fine games for those,
    -> including one of the earliest implementations of Tetris.
    ->

    There are also Amiga emulators for windows and other platforms as
    well. I've never used them.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  13. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:16:42 UTC, "John of Aix"
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    > -> > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:10:56 UTC, dan
    > -> > wrote:
    > ->
    > -> > Sounds like these people need to switch platforms to Linux or
    > Mac and
    > -> > use OpenOffice.org and FireFox. Then no more forced re-installs.
    > ->
    > -> Or Atari or Amiga, or Sun, or Cray..... This is a Windows group,
    > your
    > -> useless advice about changing OS is a complete waste of space
    >
    > Is it against some law some where to offer a better solution? I don't
    > think so.

    It isn't a solution it is like recommending someone buy a Ford when
    their Audi breaks down.

    > Either way, your post is truly of no help to anyone.

    As much help as your useless advice. I come on these groups to try and
    find solutions to peoples problems and they write to these groups to
    find those solutions. Telling them to forget it and do something else is
    a complete and utter waste of time and bandwidth.

  14. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Dodel wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:10:56 UTC, dan
    >>> wrote:

    >>> Sounds like these people need to switch platforms to Linux or Mac
    >>> and use OpenOffice.org and FireFox. Then no more forced
    >>> re-installs.

    >> Or Atari or Amiga, or Sun, or Cray..... This is a Windows group, your
    >> useless advice about changing OS is a complete waste of space and
    >> does nothing to solve the OPs problem.

    > You have a point there.
    >
    > However, does changing the OS not solve the OPs problem ? Windoze
    > solutions are bound to be of adhoc nature, prompting him / her to
    > come back to you again after a few days / weeks (whatever time it
    > takes for a windoze installation to wreck itself these days) with the
    > same issue. The question is whether the OP wishes to lurch from
    > disaster to disaster or put an end to the nonsense.

    That's tosh, sorry. I have always had perfectly stable Windows systems
    and they can be perfectly stable. A user who know enough about
    computers to run Linux successfully won't have any problem sorting out
    eventual problems with Windows so if the puts a similar amount of effort
    into learning that system then he won't need to changeto another OS,
    though he can if he wishes of course.

  15. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    John of Aix wrote:
    > I have always had perfectly stable Windows systems and they can be
    > perfectly stable.

    And a pencil can balance on its point for hours ... in theory. :P

  16. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    John of Aix wrote:

    >> You have a point there.
    >>
    >> However, does changing the OS not solve the OPs problem ? Windoze
    >> solutions are bound to be of adhoc nature, prompting him / her to
    >> come back to you again after a few days / weeks (whatever time it
    >> takes for a windoze installation to wreck itself these days) with the
    >> same issue. The question is whether the OP wishes to lurch from
    >> disaster to disaster or put an end to the nonsense.

    > That's tosh, sorry. I have always had perfectly stable Windows systems
    > and they can be perfectly stable. A user who know enough about
    > computers to run Linux successfully won't have any problem sorting out
    > eventual problems with Windows so if the puts a similar amount of effort
    > into learning that system then he won't need to changeto another OS,
    > though he can if he wishes of course.

    A person who knew enough about computers to use Linux or BSD would not waste
    his time on windoze.

    You can know all you want about computers but you cannot patch your way out
    of an OS where security and stability is an afterthought.

  17. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >

    >>> You have a point there.
    >>>
    >>> However, does changing the OS not solve the OPs problem ? Windoze
    >>> solutions are bound to be of adhoc nature, prompting him / her to
    >>> come back to you again after a few days / weeks (whatever time it
    >>> takes for a windoze installation to wreck itself these days) with
    >>> the same issue. The question is whether the OP wishes to lurch from
    >>> disaster to disaster or put an end to the nonsense.

    >> That's tosh, sorry. I have always had perfectly stable Windows
    >> systems and they can be perfectly stable. A user who know enough
    >> about computers to run Linux successfully won't have any problem
    >> sorting out eventual problems with Windows so if the puts a similar
    >> amount of effort into learning that system then he won't need to
    >> changeto another OS, though he can if he wishes of course.

    > A person who knew enough about computers to use Linux or BSD would
    > not waste his time on windoze.

    Why not? 90-95% of PC users use Windows. I often fix their computers so
    it would be rather silly of me to spend my time becoming merely an
    expert on Linux for my own pleasure and so that I could piss further
    than the average PC user. Of course Windows has its faults, one could
    hardly expect otherwise given its encompassement, wanting to be all
    thing to all men, and the history of IT via IBM/Intel, the major players
    at the beginning. But I find this "Windows is crap" stuff from Linuxians
    extremely tiring and completely out of place in a windows group. As I
    say, I have always had stable Windows systems and when there is an
    instability I look for the reason why and cure it, always possible I
    find. That it has security holes, of course, the attacks made on the
    park of 95% of world PCs highlight them, what do you want to happen,
    that we stop using Windows for a couple of years and rewrite the entire
    code or patch things as we go along? Because if you are expecting the
    world to suddenly turn to Linux you can forget it. I've seen the
    predictions that it will be happening soon for the last ten years and I
    expect to continue to see them for the ten years to come and more. It
    just won't happen.

    > You can know all you want about computers but you cannot patch your
    > way out of an OS where security and stability is an afterthought.

  18. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >

    >> It isn't a solution it is like recommending someone buy a Ford when
    >> their Audi breaks down.

    > If the Audi had a habit of breaking down regularly, I would call that
    > good advice.

    But it doesn't if you look after it.

    >>> Either way, your post is truly of no help to anyone.

    >> As much help as your useless advice. I come on these groups to try
    >> and find solutions to peoples problems and they write to these
    >> groups to find those solutions. Telling them to forget it and do
    >> something else is a complete and utter waste of time and bandwidth.

    > And telling them to keep trying to do the undoable isn't ?

    What is undoable, getting a Windows system that ticks over perfectly?
    It is not only doable but normal. If it isn't then you need to look at
    what's wrong and fix it.

  19. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    John of Aix wrote:
    > Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >
    >>John of Aix wrote:
    >>

    >>>It isn't a solution it is like recommending someone buy a Ford when
    >>>their Audi breaks down.

    >>If the Audi had a habit of breaking down regularly, I would call that
    >>good advice.

    > But it doesn't if you look after it.

    s/look after it/nursemaid it constantly and you might be getting close.

    > What is undoable, getting a Windows system that ticks over perfectly?

    Like balancing a pencil on its point, you can do it, and in theory you
    can even have it stay that way for hours, but in practise...

  20. Re: Virus adware after a complete format/reinstall....

    John of Aix wrote:

    >> If the Audi had a habit of breaking down regularly, I would call that
    >> good advice.

    > But it doesn't if you look after it.

    Why should you have to babysit the OS ? Weren't OS's supposed to be rock
    solid, leaving the user to do something useful, instead of worrying about
    the next time it breaks down ? And why the hell should a user have to pay
    good money to buy anti-virus and spyware removal programs when that is a
    basic design problem with the OS. First you buy a crappy OS ($160 or so)
    and then spend money to fix its tantrums. That is called throwing good
    money after bad.

    If a Ralph Nader had applied the principles he applied to the automobile
    business to the software industry, M$ would be hauled in court for
    knowingly selling inferior products that add to business cost overruns.

    >> And telling them to keep trying to do the undoable isn't ?

    > What is undoable, getting a Windows system that ticks over perfectly?

    No, a windoze system that keeps ticking even when you are not babysitting it
    with anti-virus programs, spyware removal kits, etc.

    No OS is perfect. Even Linux / BSD need occasional security patches, but you
    do not pay for those patches, and patches become available within hours of
    the discovery of a vulnerability. Unlike M$ where the problem simmers until
    millions of computers around the world have been infected and compromised.

    On my Debian system, I set a cron job to check at regular intervals,
    download and apply the latest security patches (which are once in a blue
    moon). I do not pay a dime for either the OS, or the security patches, or
    excellent support one gets over the Usenet. And my machine never slows down
    or sends viruses to any of my friends. And guess its uptime ? 6 days and
    running, and that too because it is not a server. Our new Slackware server
    at work has been up for 32 days now.

    Two years ago, a friend of mine installed the then relatively new Windows
    XP. A week after installing it, he found he had a bunch of spyware which
    was slowing down his machine, and had become the hub for sending out
    viruses to all of his friends. He called M$ support, was put on hold for 20
    minutes, asked to reboot twice, then installed a service pack (or something
    like that), which slowed down the machine even more and broke his
    multifunction printer support. He had had enough. He installed Mandrake
    then, now runs Debian Sid and is considering installing FreeBSD for his
    newly acquired server. Zero downtime, and no unreasonable reboots either.

    The above is hardly atypical.

    > It is not only doable but normal. If it isn't then you need to look at
    > what's wrong and fix it.

    Until the next time it has a nervous breakdown ? Nice idea you have of a
    purpose of a functioning OS.

+ Reply to Thread