Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi Any views on Anti-Virus software?! (to run on 512MB, Pentium4 1.7MHz - Windows2000 Pro) - I tried Norton and find it expensive, slows my PC down to a crawl, and Norton were VERY slow to respond when one of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    Hi

    Any views on Anti-Virus software?!
    (to run on 512MB, Pentium4 1.7MHz - Windows2000 Pro)

    - I tried Norton and find it expensive, slows my PC down to a crawl,
    and Norton were VERY slow to respond when one of their patches screwed
    up my computer (all right-clicking was disabled!)

    - I tried McAfee (v7 Pro) and found it's HAWK fought with
    my Sony Ericsson P900 / P910i software ("PC Suite v3.2)

    Other folks have recommended Kaspersky and NOD32.

    I am nervous about using anything that is completely free (if you pay
    peanuts...)

    Any suggestions?

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

  2. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    And someone in my office is recommending AVG... any views?!

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

  3. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    "ship" wrote:

    >And someone in my office is recommending AVG... any views?!

    I'm running eTrust EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates, no complaints
    so far. The on-access scanning is annoyingly slowing things down
    sometimes, but that could be changed by including a lot of exceptions.
    After all, it's the price to be paid for the idiocy of virus creators.

    JK'05

  4. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    ship wrote:
    > And someone in my office is recommending AVG... any views?!

    I've used it for years, free updates, never had the slightest problem
    and doesn't gobble resources, unlike Norton as you've discovered.

  5. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    "John of Aix" wrote in message
    > ship wrote:
    >> And someone in my office is recommending AVG... any views?!

    > I've used it for years, free updates, never had the slightest problem
    > and doesn't gobble resources, unlike Norton as you've discovered.

    I'm on AVG too ... got peeved with symantec not allowing me to re-dowload
    'my' software when I had a computer rebuild. Cheeky bastards wanted me to
    buy it again with 6 months left on my licence.

  6. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton,McAfee... Any views?

    ship wrote:
    > And someone in my office is recommending AVG... any views?!
    >
    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe

    I use AVG and I'm extremely happy with it...

    --
    www.fixaphoto.co.uk
    for photographic restorations

  7. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton,McAfee... Any views?

    ship wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Any views on Anti-Virus software?!
    > (to run on 512MB, Pentium4 1.7MHz - Windows2000 Pro)
    >
    > - I tried Norton and find it expensive, slows my PC down to a crawl,
    > and Norton were VERY slow to respond when one of their patches screwed
    > up my computer (all right-clicking was disabled!)
    >
    > - I tried McAfee (v7 Pro) and found it's HAWK fought with
    > my Sony Ericsson P900 / P910i software ("PC Suite v3.2)
    >
    > Other folks have recommended Kaspersky and NOD32.
    >
    > I am nervous about using anything that is completely free (if you pay
    > peanuts...)

    While I'm also a firm believer in the *you only get what you pay for*
    philosophy, I have to say it's definitely NOT true of antivirus packages....

    Some of the free packages are far superior to the equivalents that you
    pay for....

    A lot of the free AV companies supply the software for free to home
    users, but charge busineses to use it....This works to their benefit in
    a number of ways....
    It creates an air of good-will.
    They still get revenue from their business sales.
    People will install it on their home computer, decide they like it, and
    buy it for their business.

    And of course, looking at it from an internet-wide viewpoint...If there
    are no infected computers connected to the internet, the risk of DDos
    attacks becomes severely reduced, thus making the internet a safer place
    all around....So by distributing their software for free to people who
    can't afford to pay Nortons prices, they're actually providing a
    valuable public service....

    Companies like Symantec, Pandasoft, and McAfee prey on the less IT-savvy
    net users out there...People like my dad...People who buy "Computer
    Active" magazine...
    They rely on people thinking....
    "Well if they're charging for their product, it must be better"
    or
    "These guys are giving it away free. Obviously it's so crap that no-one
    will buy it"

    They're the sort of people who would walk into PC World and ask one of
    the red-shirted monkeys "I want to buy the best antivirus on the market,
    please direct me to your most expensive product"

    In this respect, Symantec and their co-horts are little more than
    parasites in my opinion....

    --
    www.fixaphoto.co.uk
    for photographic restorations

  8. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    And lo, elyob didst speak in alt.www.webmaster,comp.os.ms-windows.misc:

    > I'm on AVG too ... got peeved with symantec not allowing me to re-dowload
    > 'my' software when I had a computer rebuild. Cheeky bastards wanted me to
    > buy it again with 6 months left on my licence.

    It happened to me. I installed a freshly bought copy of NAV on my
    parent's WinME computer... FIVE TIMES! The darn thing kept lasting for
    only a couple months before getting so process-slogged that the only
    option was to format + re-install. You'd think I would've learned after
    the second or third try...

    Anyway, the fifth time I tried putting NAV on and tried to activate it,
    they said "nyet!", too many registrations using the same code.

    So I called them up, explained the situation and got my registration-tally
    reset. Took about ten minutes. So at least they've got some good CS; or
    at least they did when *I* called

    Anyway, my subscription to NAV has recently expired on my home computer.
    I've been updating the defs manually for the past few weeks; if you set
    your OS clock back a year, you can fool it into still thinking it's
    activated I think I'll give AVG a spin. I can't argue with free.

    Grey

    --
    The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
    pitfall corollory that nothing is ridiculous.

  9. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton,McAfee... Any views?

    GreyWyvern wrote:

    > Anyway, my subscription to NAV has recently expired on my home
    > computer. I've been updating the defs manually for the past few weeks;
    > if you set your OS clock back a year, you can fool it into still
    > thinking it's activated

    A copy that I bought kept resetting the license dates to whenever I last
    installed it. I just had to uninstall and reinstall in order to get
    another free year of updates It didn't ask for a serial number or
    anything!

    I used it for a few years before eventually getting rid of it for good.

    --
    Dylan Parry

  10. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    In article <1112273609.354011.137280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    shiphen@yahoo.com says...

    > Hi
    >
    > Any views on Anti-Virus software?!
    > (to run on 512MB, Pentium4 1.7MHz - Windows2000 Pro)
    >
    > - I tried Norton and find it expensive, slows my PC down to a crawl,
    > and Norton were VERY slow to respond when one of their patches screwed
    > up my computer (all right-clicking was disabled!)
    >
    > - I tried McAfee (v7 Pro) and found it's HAWK fought with
    > my Sony Ericsson P900 / P910i software ("PC Suite v3.2)
    >
    > Other folks have recommended Kaspersky and NOD32.
    >
    > I am nervous about using anything that is completely free (if you pay
    > peanuts...)
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe

    I can't say enough about EZ-trust antivirus by Computer Associates.
    Daily updates, and in the three years since I dumped Norton, (also
    slowed my computers to a crawl), I have never had a virus on any of my 5
    computers. I tell all my clients who ask for a recommendation (usually
    because Norton slows them down as well), and they have all been just as
    satisfied.

  11. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    What about NOD32?
    ================

    Okay I've now done a little research...

    Norton AntiVirus 2004
    gets 5* and the Editors choice.
    This despite a "6.4%" slowdown.
    Mind you their members hated it! (1.5 stars!)

    * * *

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2[....]1720842%2C00.asp#memberratings
    NOD32 only got 4* because
    "NOD32's vast number of configuration options may prove confusing for
    typical PC users"
    BUT I fear I am probably a typical PC user!

    * * *

    Kaspersky Personal Security Suite 1.0
    only got 3 stars:
    REVIEW DATE: 03.17.05

    "Suite's modules not integrated. Firewall doesn't protect against most
    leak test techniques. Firewall confirmation pop-ups awkward. Antispam
    allows too much spam into the in-box."

    * * *

    Actually it looks like NOD32 wins it, because almost all the member are
    a) slagging off the editor b) they mostly seem to love NOD32!

    NOD32 Antivirus System 2.0
    REVIEW DATE: 11.08.04
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2[....]1720842%2C00.asp#memberratings

    My only concerns are
    a) How often are new virus patches released
    b) Will I be able to configure the damned thing, being as I know very
    little about this subject - or can I just use all the defaults?!

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

  12. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    ship wrote:
    > And someone in my office is recommending AVG... any views?!

    I've been using AVG free in some situations, and paid version in others. The
    2-year license in the paid version is something I appreciate.

    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the recommendations you'll get in
    this newsgroup.

    Ed

  13. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton,McAfee... Any views?

    GreyWyvern wrote:
    > And lo, elyob didst speak in alt.www.webmaster,comp.os.ms-windows.misc:
    >
    >> I'm on AVG too ... got peeved with symantec not allowing me to re-dowload
    >> 'my' software when I had a computer rebuild. Cheeky bastards wanted me to
    >> buy it again with 6 months left on my licence.

    > It happened to me. I installed a freshly bought copy of NAV on my
    > parent's WinME computer... FIVE TIMES! The darn thing kept lasting for
    > only a couple months before getting so process-slogged that the only
    > option was to format + re-install. You'd think I would've learned
    > after the second or third try...
    >
    > Anyway, the fifth time I tried putting NAV on and tried to activate it,
    > they said "nyet!", too many registrations using the same code.
    >
    > So I called them up, explained the situation and got my
    > registration-tally reset. Took about ten minutes. So at least they've
    > got some good CS; or at least they did when *I* called
    >

    > Anyway, my subscription to NAV has recently expired on my home
    > computer. I've been updating the defs manually for the past few weeks;
    > if you set your OS clock back a year, you can fool it into still
    > thinking it's activated I think I'll give AVG a spin. I can't
    > argue with free.
    >
    > Grey

    Another happy AVG user here. I just brought home a colleague's
    mother-in-law's (very old) PC for a spring clean. It was running
    everything Norton have ever made (SystemSuite, AV, Internet Security
    etc) on a 300 Celeron. I've reassessed my idea of sloooow.

    It's going to get reformatted, AVG, Adaware, Spybot S&D and the owner a
    friendly but stern talking-to.

    --
    David Preston
    WinAMP has crashed again.

  14. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:12:20 +0100, Fat Sam
    wrote:

    > Symantec and their co-horts are little more than parasites in my
    > opinion....

    Well, I'm sure there's some really good highly motivated engineers that
    believe they are doing a good job working at those companies - however, on
    balance your view gets my vote.

    --
    Opera 8 - not quite a desktop replacement (yet)

  15. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    > It's going to get reformatted, AVG, Adaware, Spybot S&D and the owner a
    > friendly but stern talking-to.

    Errr... SpywareBlaster, firewall and Firefox ? ;-)

  16. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:10:41 UTC, "ship" wrote:

    -> What about NOD32?
    -> ================
    ->
    -> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1371096,00.asp
    -> Norton AntiVirus 2004
    -> gets 5* and the Editors choice.
    -> This despite a "6.4%" slowdown.
    -> Mind you their members hated it! (1.5 stars!)
    ->
    -> * * *
    ->
    -> http://www.pcmag.com/article2[....]1720842%2C00.asp#memberratings
    -> NOD32 only got 4* because
    -> "NOD32's vast number of configuration options may prove confusing for
    -> typical PC users"
    -> BUT I fear I am probably a typical PC user!
    ->
    -> * * *
    ->
    -> Kaspersky Personal Security Suite 1.0
    -> only got 3 stars:
    -> REVIEW DATE: 03.17.05
    -> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1777156,00.asp
    ->
[...]

    I'm using Norman Virus Control - http://www.norman.com Doesn't get
    the attention of the others you list, but it has been around a long
    time and works well.

    Its crossplatform (Windows, Linux and OS/2). Updates are frequent.
    It isn't cheap for single users as they are more focused on corporate
    users, but they seem to be on top of the win32 virus of the day with
    frequent updates. They have an automatic update feature. I
    purchased it as part of a group, and it was really inexpensive for a 2
    year license, but that is the OS/2 version.

    Best virus defense is to use something other then Windows. ;-)

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  17. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton,McAfee... Any views?

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > Its crossplatform (Windows, Linux and OS/2).

    Why would you ever deploy it on linux? In case the RTM worm makes a
    comeback exploiting a new sendmail hole? How often is there a new
    virus/worm on unix anyway -- about once a decade?

  18. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:41:27 +0100, Twisted One
    wrote:

    > Mark Dodel wrote:
    >> Its crossplatform (Windows, Linux and OS/2).

    > Why would you ever deploy it on linux? In case the RTM worm makes a
    > comeback exploiting a new sendmail hole? How often is there a new
    > virus/worm on unix anyway -- about once a decade?

    No idea. a trawl across reveals this:
    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/blogcategory/0/76/

    --
    Opera 8 - not quite a desktop replacement (yet)

  19. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    Once upon a time, far far away "ship" spluttered

    >Hi
    >
    >Any views on Anti-Virus software?!

    Never use it. Or rather, every so often, perhaps once a year, I use
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ to do a scan. mainly for spyware.

    Rather I rely on *not* accepting emails with attachments from people I
    don't know.

    I never allow email attachments to be auto-converted/executed.

    And I don't use pirate software.

    No problems.

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

  20. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton,McAfee... Any views?

    William Tasso wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:12:20 +0100, Fat Sam
    > wrote:

    >> Symantec and their co-horts are little more than parasites in my
    >> opinion....

    > Well, I'm sure there's some really good highly motivated engineers that
    > believe they are doing a good job working at those companies - however,
    > on balance your view gets my vote.

    I really should have qualified my comments by stating that the engineers
    aren't the focus of my comments....My disgust is with the companies
    chosen sales and business model...