Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views? - Microsoft Windows ; Matt Probert wrote > Rather I rely on *not* accepting emails with attachments from people I > don't know. > > I never allow email attachments to be auto-converted/executed. > > And I don't use pirate software. > > No ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

  1. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    Matt Probert wrote

    > Rather I rely on *not* accepting emails with attachments from people I
    > don't know.
    >
    > I never allow email attachments to be auto-converted/executed.
    >
    > And I don't use pirate software.
    >
    > No problems.

    Ditto.

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

  2. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    WRONG!
    The advice on this NG has been somewhat disasterous.

    1. Hell's Teeth!
    NOD32 turns out to be incompatible with Google Desktop Search (which is
    one of my most useful applications!)
    I uninstalled Google Desktop and re-installed with the latest version
    of Google Desktop. Still no good.
    Right I guess that's the end of NOD32.
    So I tried AVG.

    2. AVG is not better.
    AVG is now fighting with my "Roxio" - which I had no idea is installed
    on my machine (!!) and which doesnt appear in my control panel's
    Add/Remove programs. I have no idea which version of the software is on
    my machine

    AVG generated this message on Roxio's site:

    "An update is available.

    Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused
    by:

    Roxio's CDR4 (cdr4_xp.sys)

    Roxio, Inc. is the manufacturer. An update is available that may
    correct the problem you reported. To obtain the update and more
    information from the Roxio, Inc. Web site please click here."

    But I dont have any *serial number* with which to get my upgrade on the
    Roxio site!

    Boll*x! Right that's the end of AVG.
    Damned lucky I'm only installing Trials of each of these Anti-Virus
    utilities.

    Now what - Kaspersky?!

    3. Kasperky
    Seems rather bloated.
    Irritatingly I couldnt get the Scheduler to run the scan last night.
    So I had to run a scan manually this morning...

    And slow!
    It's been running for an hour and a half and it's only managed to scan
    about a third (36%) of my computer!

    But It has now found 880 viruses on my computer (mainly attached to
    emails that Norton and/or McAfee have failed to kill off). And rather
    than kill them itself it appears that I'm gonna have to wait for it to
    compete its scan before it actually does anything about the viruses!

    That'll be another 2 .5 hours then. [deep sigh!]

    Call me a light-weight but I have to say that I do wish my Anti-Virus
    software would actually take action against my incoming viruses, rather
    the point to them and say "cor look what I've found". Dont just stand
    there, kill the b*stards! is what I say.

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

  3. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    ship wrote

    > WRONG!
    > The advice on this NG has been somewhat disasterous.

    Which group? You're posting to two.

    That'll teach you anyway for taking advice from usenet!

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

  4. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:12:24 +0100, Matt Probert
    wrote:

    > Once upon a time, far far away "ship" spluttered
    >

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Any views on Anti-Virus software?!

    > Never use it. Or rather, every so often, perhaps once a year, I use
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ to do a scan. mainly for spyware.
    >
    > Rather I rely on *not* accepting emails with attachments from people I
    > don't know.
    >
    > I never allow email attachments to be auto-converted/executed.
    >
    > And I don't use pirate software.
    >
    > No problems.

    Looks like we have a quorum

    However, as Steve Sobol indicated elsewhere in this thread, when you
    manage systems that others have access to the situation is slightly
    different.

    --
    Opera 8 - not quite a desktop replacement (yet)

  5. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 00:41:27 UTC, Twisted One
    wrote:

    -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    -> > Its crossplatform (Windows, Linux and OS/2).
    ->
    -> Why would you ever deploy it on linux? In case the RTM worm makes a
    -> comeback exploiting a new sendmail hole? How often is there a new
    -> virus/worm on unix anyway -- about once a decade?
    ->

    For the same reason I use it on OS/2, to catch any win32 virus before
    the chance of accidentally sending it to someone that is unfortunate
    enough to run windoze. Yes you are protected for the most part, but
    you never know. Maybe some day a microsoft programmer will finally
    figure out how to write a Linux virus.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  6. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    Once upon a time, far far away "ship" spluttered

    >WRONG!
    >The advice on this NG has been somewhat disasterous.

    Er, not the advice from Els, Charles and myself, though.....

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

  7. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    Once upon a time, far far away "William Tasso"
    spluttered

    >On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:12:24 +0100, Matt Probert
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Once upon a time, far far away "ship" spluttered
    >>

    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Any views on Anti-Virus software?!

    >> Never use it. Or rather, every so often, perhaps once a year, I use
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ to do a scan. mainly for spyware.
    >>
    >> Rather I rely on *not* accepting emails with attachments from people I
    >> don't know.
    >>
    >> I never allow email attachments to be auto-converted/executed.
    >>
    >> And I don't use pirate software.
    >>
    >> No problems.

    >Looks like we have a quorum
    >
    >However, as Steve Sobol indicated elsewhere in this thread, when you
    >manage systems that others have access to the situation is slightly
    >different.

    I was only talking about my own office environment. I have been
    repsonsible in the past for larger environments. The principles were
    the same.

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

  8. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    I use nod32 and Google desktop and I get the error message you
    described but have noticed that it does not seem to have and adverse
    effects on Google.

  9. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    Used the free avg for a while then paid them the $35 for 2 years. The
    paid one does things automaticly like downloading when it sees an
    internet connection. Worth the $35 IMHO

    John of Aix wrote:
    > ship wrote:
    > > And someone in my office is recommending AVG... any views?!

    > I've used it for years, free updates, never had the slightest problem
    > and doesn't gobble resources, unlike Norton as you've discovered.

  10. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    > 3. Kasperky
    > Seems rather bloated.

    Compare it to Nortons !

    > And slow!

    The phrase you`re looking for is "effective" - compare it to Nortons

    > It's been running for an hour and a half and it's only managed to scan
    > about a third (36%) of my computer!

    Once a full scan it complete you shouldn't need to do one often (if at
    all)

    > But It has now found 880 viruses on my computer

    You need to have a think on how you pre-vet your incoming email, and
    whether you should be downloading much of it at all.

    Consider Mailwasher - i`ve got some of the original unrestricted betas
    and some filters available online at http://www.coreutilities.co.uk along
    with some instructions on how to craft them for your own system.

    > That'll be another 2 .5 hours then. [deep sigh!]

    After the months you spent amassing this crap, you begrudge the one
    program that`s sorting it all out for you a couple of hours :-}

    > Call me a light-weight but I have to say that I do wish my Anti-Virus
    > software would actually take action against my incoming viruses

    Kaspersky is damn good in this respect. Believe me.

    You may find it also stops some malicious web code in its tracks which is
    an added bonus (iframe exploits IIRC)

  11. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    On 1 Apr 2005 02:42:36 -0800, "ship" wrote:

    >WRONG!
    >The advice on this NG has been somewhat disasterous.
    >
    >1. Hell's Teeth!
    >NOD32 turns out to be incompatible with Google Desktop Search (which is
    >one of my most useful applications!)
    >I uninstalled Google Desktop and re-installed with the latest version
    >of Google Desktop. Still no good.
    >Right I guess that's the end of NOD32
    >Ship
    >Shiperton Henethe

    On Googles website at
    http://desktop.google.com/support/bi...y?answer=17053 , they
    note that Google's Desktop Search is incompatible with NOD32 and that
    Google is working on the solution.

    Now, the question I have is: would you rather have an antivirus
    program that examines files for viruses as they are opened, or one
    that lets the files be opened without examination.

    To me, the answer is "I'll wait for Google to get its Desktop Search
    resolved." I have been very happy with NOD32, it's small footprint,
    its updates and its unobtrusiveness -- unlike some big-name antivirus
    companies' products.

    Terry
    Visit my computer tips, coffee pages, forums and more at:
    http://www.terrystockdale.com

  12. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    ship wrote:

    > I am nervous about using anything that is completely free (if you pay
    > peanuts...)

    By that "logic", windoze (for which you do not pay peanuts) ought to be a
    lot more stable than Linux / BSD's (for which you pay nothing unless you
    buy support)

  13. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    > This Mailwasher?
    > "Mailwasher Pro Personal Anti Spam Software From Firetrust"
    > http://www.firetrust.com/products/pro/

    No, the version before Firetrust took it over as a commercial product.

    > The same Mailwasher sold by the alleged anti-spam and anti-virus experts
    > above who bounced *a completely intact* copy[1] of W32/Lovgate.X@mm worm
    > to my address which had been forged as the sender and sent to a bad
    > address on their system? That Mailwasher?

    Firetrust / Mailwasher can`t be held responsible for the actions of a
    clueless user who doesn`t understand that most spam contains spoofed
    headers - although it would be a good idea to disallow the bouncing of
    emails permanently given its prevalence in spam rather than encouraging
    pointless net traffic.

  14. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    "ship" delighted us to no end by taking a
    lime green crayon and scribbling in
    news:1112273609.354011.137280@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com, on
    the hallowed day of Thu 31 Mar 2005 04:53:29a:

    > Hi
    >
    > Any views on Anti-Virus software?!
    > (to run on 512MB, Pentium4 1.7MHz - Windows2000 Pro)
    >
    > - I tried Norton and find it expensive, slows my PC down to a
    > crawl, and Norton were VERY slow to respond when one of their
    > patches screwed up my computer (all right-clicking was
    > disabled!)
    >
    > - I tried McAfee (v7 Pro) and found it's HAWK fought with
    > my Sony Ericsson P900 / P910i software ("PC Suite v3.2)
    >
    > Other folks have recommended Kaspersky and NOD32.
    >
    > I am nervous about using anything that is completely free (if
    > you pay peanuts...)
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe

    Avast!

    It's good, it's freeware, and it runs seemlessly. Never once a
    problem/system crash.

    I'd avoid Norton (and Panda) like the plague.

    --
    -=Mara=-
    Reason #1 Why blondes make the best hackers:

  15. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    "ship" wrote in message
    news:1112273609.354011.137280@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > Any suggestions?

    I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so please forgive me if this is
    repeating something already said.

    I use Cloudmark Safetybar for Outlook Express. It uses almost overhead
    and catches 99% of the spam. Maybe more. Weakness is that you gotta be
    using Outlook or Outlook Express and it's not free. You can google around
    and find discounts however. I've also used in the past, McAfee, Norton,
    and Panda and found most of them take up too many resources and ONE of them
    really messes with your machine big-time..

  16. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    On 31 Mar 2005 04:53:29 -0800, ship wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Any views on Anti-Virus software?!
    > (to run on 512MB, Pentium4 1.7MHz - Windows2000 Pro)
    >
    > - I tried Norton and find it expensive, slows my PC down to a crawl,
    > and Norton were VERY slow to respond when one of their patches screwed
    > up my computer (all right-clicking was disabled!)
    >
    > - I tried McAfee (v7 Pro) and found it's HAWK fought with
    > my Sony Ericsson P900 / P910i software ("PC Suite v3.2)
    >
    > Other folks have recommended Kaspersky and NOD32.
    >
    > I am nervous about using anything that is completely free (if you pay
    > peanuts...)
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe

    Try all of them if you're experiencing some weird behaviour of two you
    already mentioned. Everyone's mileage may vary and people have different
    setups with different apps. So the best advice is use the way that's break
    anything on your system. Norton works fine for me and it doesn't disable
    rigth clicks.

    Karim
    --
    http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Innovative Web Hosting since 1998
    Spam and Virus protected email - Online calendars with email notification

  17. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton,McAfee... Any views?

    BruceB wrote:
    > "ship" wrote in message
    > news:1112273609.354011.137280@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    >>Any suggestions?

    > I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so please forgive me if this is
    > repeating something already said.
    >
    > I use Cloudmark Safetybar for Outlook Express. It uses almost overhead
    > and catches 99% of the spam. Maybe more. Weakness is that you gotta be
    > using Outlook or Outlook Express and it's not free.

    Thunderbird is. Ditch OE and get Thunderbird and any spam killing
    extensions you wish.

    > I've also used in the past, McAfee, Norton, and Panda and found most of
    > them take up too many resources and ONE of them really messes with your
    > machine big-time.

    Actually ALL of them take up too many resources and at least TWO of them
    really mess with your machine.

  18. Re: Recommend any anti-virus software? Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton, McAfee... Any views?

    On 2005-04-01 03:12:24 -0500, comments@probertencyclopaedia.com (Matt
    Probert) said:

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Any views on Anti-Virus software?!