How to be secure from the get go - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to be secure from the get go - Microsoft Windows ; I am buying a new computer which comes with windows-xp. I have a lot of computer experience, but only with secure operating systems. I want to keep xp on a small partition in order to look at web sites with ...

  1. How to be secure from the get go

    I am buying a new computer which comes with windows-xp. I have
    a lot of computer experience, but only with secure operating
    systems. I want to keep xp on a small partition in order to
    look at web sites with its browser. But I want to be certain
    it never attempts to fetch (and certainly never opens) my e-mail
    and that it will never launch an insecure application like MS
    Word from the browser.

    I imagine it is going to try to call home as soon as it is
    plugged in and will want me to give it my e-mail address and of
    course it will have to have my internet access password. What
    can I do to prevent it from doing insecure things in that first
    session? (And thereafter, of course.)

    --
    Lars Eighner eighner@io.com http://www.larseighner.com/
    My mail reader can beat up your mail reader.

  2. Re: How to be secure from the get go

    > I am buying a new computer which comes with windows-xp. I have
    > a lot of computer experience, but only with secure operating
    > systems. I want to keep xp on a small partition in order to
    > look at web sites with its browser. But I want to be certain
    > it never attempts to fetch (and certainly never opens) my e-mail
    > and that it will never launch an insecure application like MS
    > Word from the browser.

    Boy, you sure know how to ask the impossible :-}

    I've got some newbie level tips on trying to generally secure windoze
    boxes against malware / spyware online at http://www.coreutilities.co.uk
    but the odds are, windoze will NEVER be secure to the level you'd like.

    If you have access to another machine (as you did to post this) then
    perhaps you can download a couple of apps prior to hitting the net - i'd
    suggest a firewall (NOT the windoze firewall), and perhaps SpywareBlaster
    from www.javacoolsoftware.com to help prevent activex exploits.

    Good luck - you`re going to need it :-p

  3. Re: How to be secure from the get go

    Lars Eighner wrote:
    > I want to keep xp on a small partition in order to look at web sites
    > with its browser.

    Now, I've heard of masochistic kinks, but this is definitely a new one
    on me.

    > I imagine it is going to try to call home as soon as it is
    > plugged in and will want me to give it my e-mail address and of
    > course it will have to have my internet access password. What
    > can I do to prevent it from doing insecure things in that first
    > session? (And thereafter, of course.)

    Don't plug it in!

  4. Re: How to be secure from the get go

    In our last episode,
    <1112370542.434993.185960@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    the lovely and talented bigcat@meeow.co.uk
    broadcast on comp.os.ms-windows.misc:

    > And why pay for XP if you dont need it anyway. Spend the money on some
    > new goodies instead.

    Because I can't seem to put together a package to match the Dell
    Dimension 2400 bundle on Dell's site. Dell will sell you Red
    Hat or Slackware disks, but they won't sell an ordinary person a
    computer without Windows (of course if you are ordering a dozen
    servers, that might be negotiable). I don't know what Lindows
    is, but I do know Red Hat is very hard to operate from the
    commandline (i.e ppp on-demand works in X, but not at the
    command prompt -- or at least I couldn't figure out how). PPP
    on-demand is pretty much what keeps me in FreeBSD, even though
    applications and drivers don't generally show up until they have
    been available on Linux for a while.

    --
    Lars Eighner eighner@io.com http://www.larseighner.com/
    This would be the best of all possible worlds,

  5. Re: How to be secure from the get go

    Lars Eighner wrote:
    > <1112370542.434993.185960@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    > the lovely and talented bigcat@meeow.co.uk
    > broadcast on comp.os.ms-windows.misc:

    > > And why pay for XP if you dont need it anyway. Spend the money on

    some
    > > new goodies instead.

    > Because I can't seem to put together a package to match the Dell
    > Dimension 2400 bundle on Dell's site.

    I'm surprised.

    NT

+ Reply to Thread