XP keeps reboot - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP keeps reboot - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I have a problem with XP Pro. It keeps rebooting soon after showing XP logo. I can hear something happens and the screen becomes black and reboot. I tried to enter in safe mode, last good configuration, debug mode, ...

  1. XP keeps reboot

    Hi, I have a problem with XP Pro.
    It keeps rebooting soon after showing XP logo. I can hear something
    happens and the screen becomes black and reboot. I tried to enter in
    safe mode, last good configuration, debug mode, etc. Nothing happens,
    always the same situation. If I try to boot from cd and try to recover
    the XP installation (not from the console, I mean trying to recover
    the XP version already installed), after few minutes, it start with a
    new installation.
    I can't get into Windows, so I can't change any
    options/files/parameters or whatever from there.
    I copied in the past files on my laptop, so everytime it fails, I
    re-copy "old" files that are changed after my attempts.
    Thanks in advance.
    Claudio

  2. Re: XP keeps reboot

    Try booting the from CD and start the Recovery Console, then read the
    setuplog.txt, and the setupapi.log, to see what is causing this when it
    boots. Also you are crossposting which is not a very good idea at times

    --
    Peter

    Please reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others.

    "Claudio" wrote in message
    news:ca347844.0503301338.48c2eb73@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi, I have a problem with XP Pro.
    > It keeps rebooting soon after showing XP logo. I can hear something
    > happens and the screen becomes black and reboot. I tried to enter in
    > safe mode, last good configuration, debug mode, etc. Nothing happens,
    > always the same situation. If I try to boot from cd and try to recover
    > the XP installation (not from the console, I mean trying to recover
    > the XP version already installed), after few minutes, it start with a
    > new installation.
    > I can't get into Windows, so I can't change any
    > options/files/parameters or whatever from there.
    > I copied in the past files on my laptop, so everytime it fails, I
    > re-copy "old" files that are changed after my attempts.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Claudio

  3. Re: XP keeps reboot

    The message
    from DrDrakeR@gmail.com (Claudio) contains these words:

    > Hi, I have a problem with XP Pro.
    > It keeps rebooting soon after showing XP logo. I can hear something
    > happens and the screen becomes black and reboot. I tried to enter in
    > safe mode, last good configuration, debug mode, etc. Nothing happens,
    > always the same situation. If I try to boot from cd and try to recover
    > the XP installation (not from the console, I mean trying to recover
    > the XP version already installed), after few minutes, it start with a
    > new installation.
    > I can't get into Windows, so I can't change any
    > options/files/parameters or whatever from there.
    > I copied in the past files on my laptop, so everytime it fails, I
    > re-copy "old" files that are changed after my attempts.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Claudio

    I've been to a customers machine recently that was re-booting
    continously. It was not exactly the same as the XP splash screen was not
    displayed before re-booting.
    I would try XP recovery but if this does not work then try fresh
    installation over your existing system.
    The way I solved the problem I had was by booting "Hirems Boot CD", and
    selecting McAfee A/V check. This is supposed to not make changes to the
    disk until you give the go-ahead, however when I ran it it did several
    changes without asking me!! I was really upset about this as I did not
    want to make changes to the disk that I had not authorised. However
    when I rebooted the machine it went straight into XP !!!!!
    I still don't really understand what happened, and all I can assume is
    that "McAfee" did some changes to the MBR ??
    Best of luck, Phil...

  4. Re: XP keeps reboot

    > The way I solved the problem I had was by booting "Hirems Boot CD", and
    > selecting McAfee A/V check

    ISTR that`s "Hirens Boot CD"

    http://www.thanki.tk/

  5. Re: XP keeps reboot

    The message
    from Colin Wilson contains these words:

    > > The way I solved the problem I had was by booting "Hirems Boot CD", and
    > > selecting McAfee A/V check

    > ISTR that`s "Hirens Boot CD"

    > http://www.thanki.tk/

    Nope, it's definately 'Hirems Boot CD', and free.
    Put it into Google and it will return plenty of connections for it.
    It's a complete suite of programs but unfortunately the virus definition
    files are out of date. However a bit of time spent updating these and
    then burning a new CD should sort that out. Not all of the links on the
    CD work properly, but it's easy to get around this problem, and as a
    "comprehensive" set of diagnostic tools it really is worth having in
    your techie bag when you go to a customers site.
    Phil...

  6. Re: XP keeps reboot

    > > ISTR that`s "Hirens Boot CD"
    > > http://www.thanki.tk/

    > Nope, it's definately 'Hirems Boot CD', and free.

    Its certainly available at the link I provided though - and spelled
    Hirens :-}