NTFS Disk Partition corrupted - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on NTFS Disk Partition corrupted - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I am having a problem with one of my disk paritions which was NTFS. Basically all my troubles began when I tried to make my laptop dual boot with XP and Fedora Core 3(FC 3). Everything was working fine ...

  1. NTFS Disk Partition corrupted

    Hi,

    I am having a problem with one of my disk paritions which was NTFS.
    Basically all my troubles began when I tried to make my laptop dual
    boot with XP and Fedora Core 3(FC 3). Everything was working fine until
    I did a re-install of XP which caused the boot loader from working
    thereby making it impossible to boot into FC 3 (i.e. XP was booting and
    not FC 3). To rectify it I tried re-installing the boot loader (GRUB)
    which prob'ly overwrote my MBR and made it impossible to boot into XP
    (i.e. FC 3 is booting but not XP). I have extremely important data on
    my XP partition (NTFS).

    When I used the XP installation CD and booted into the command prompt
    -> did C:\ and tried to do 'dir', it gave me an error message and
    wouldn't list the files. Also trying to mount the NTFS partition from
    Linux gives me an error message that says that the superblock is
    corrupted. I downloaded some recovery software of the internet and
    created a bootable floppy disk and I am able to see my files in the
    corrupt NTFS partition (just like a dir but in a DOS-based GUI
    application). However the software only allows me to copy from NTFS to
    FAT partitions (Right now I have two partitions - the corrupt NTFS
    partition and the Linux partition). I have around 10 GB of data to
    backup and right now it only allows me to copy from the corrupt
    partition to a floppy disk.

    One alternative is to do a fresh install of XP Professional on my Linux
    partition and copy everything from my corrupt NTFS partition to the
    newly-installed XP partition (assuming that it shows up in the recovery
    software as a possible destination for copying).

    Another alternative is to use fixboot or fixmbr - however I am not sure
    whether this will solve my problem. I was hoping that someone out there
    could tell me which of these is a better thing to do. Or is there some
    better alternative than the above two? Any help would be GREATLY
    appreciated. TIA.

  2. Re: NTFS Disk Partition corrupted

    Twisted One wrote:
    > > When I used the XP installation CD and booted into the command

    prompt
    > > -> did C:\ and tried to do 'dir', it gave me an error message and
    > > wouldn't list the files. Also trying to mount the NTFS partition

    from
    > > Linux gives me an error message that says that the superblock is
    > > corrupted.

    > Hrm, that's not normal. Can you read it with low level disk tools?

    Low level disk tools? Could you give me some examples?

    > > I downloaded some recovery software of the internet and
    > > created a bootable floppy disk and I am able to see my files in the
    > > corrupt NTFS partition (just like a dir but in a DOS-based GUI
    > > application). However the software only allows me to copy from NTFS

    > > FAT partitions (Right now I have two partitions - the corrupt NTFS
    > > partition and the Linux partition). I have around 10 GB of data to
    > > backup and right now it only allows me to copy from the corrupt
    > > partition to a floppy disk.

    > Use this boot disk to rescue the data to a CD-RW or three.

    Unfortunately, the software only shows FAT partitions and for some
    reason floppy drives as possible destinations of copy operations.
    Besides I am not aware of any DOS commands to write to a CD - are there
    any?

    > Or if you have another machine with an M$ OS swap the hard drive to

    that
    > machine as a slave and see if it's readable there.

    My HDD is in my laptop - is this still possible?

  3. Re: NTFS Disk Partition corrupted

    > > Use this boot disk to rescue the data to a CD-RW or three.
    > Unfortunately, the software only shows FAT partitions and for some
    > reason floppy drives as possible destinations of copy operations.
    > Besides I am not aware of any DOS commands to write to a CD - are there
    > any?

    Try one of the self-booting linux distribs like Knoppix - it can read
    NTFS, and won`t write anything to the drive unless you ask it to. AFAIK
    it has CD burner software built in.

    > > Or if you have another machine with an M$ OS swap the hard drive to
    > > that machine as a slave and see if it's readable there.

    > My HDD is in my laptop - is this still possible?

    Yes, you can get 2.5" - 3.5" adaptors

  4. Re: NTFS Disk Partition corrupted

    domnicjp@gmail.com wrote:
    >>Hrm, that's not normal. Can you read it with low level disk tools?

    > Low level disk tools? Could you give me some examples?

    Anything that can read the disk by block and sector rather than
    partition and filesystem. Dangerous when mishandled, of course, and you
    need to be superuser under any proper OS to use them, but they should be
    able to read the files -- if you can find them using such tools.

    > Unfortunately, the software only shows FAT partitions and for some
    > reason floppy drives as possible destinations of copy operations.
    > Besides I am not aware of any DOS commands to write to a CD - are there
    > any?

    Maybe you need a better boot disk.

    > My HDD is in my laptop - is this still possible?

    Yuck. Er, probably not. Damn.

  5. Re: NTFS Disk Partition corrupted

    Friend of mine just had a very similar problem on a desktop PC- no NTFS fix
    worked, Partition magic reported disk errors but no fix - couldn't even convert
    to FAT, used EBCD recovery disk - still couldn't see the drive.
    I took the disk and put it in my machine - windows offered to repair - said no
    - booted windows and when I tried to CD to it windows came back with the most
    cryptic message I have ever seen - something to do with 'cant read page in
    disk'. SO I re-booted and let windows fix the disk - got a whole pile of errors
    on the various files... nothing obvious were some that looked like NTFS system
    files - then windows booted and I could see the disk ok. Friend put disk back in
    his machine and 5 days of agony were over and the machine came straight back up!

+ Reply to Thread