Peer to peer TCP/IP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Peer to peer TCP/IP - Microsoft Windows ; After getting a second home PC I decided to see if I could get them to work on a peer to peer network with a cat5 crossover cable. I got them to work with NetBEUI with no problems. Then I ...

  1. Peer to peer TCP/IP

    After getting a second home PC I decided to see if I could get them to work on a peer to peer network with a cat5 crossover cable. I got them to work with NetBEUI with no problems. Then I tried to get them to work with TCP/IP. Running Win98 on both PCs whichever PC is started first can find the other computer, but will not see any drives. The PC that is started second does not find the other PC. I believe this has something to do with the fact that first computer is the Browser-Master, but I don't really understand this. I can't ping in either direction. Running WinNT on one PC and Win98 on the other they still don't work. WINS resolution and DNS are disabled. There is no gateway. I have been told that I don't need them for this configuration. Should this configuration work? Why doesn't it?

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  2. Re: Peer to peer TCP/IP

    Mike Walsh writes:

    > After getting a second home PC I decided to see if I could get them
    > to work on a peer to peer network with a cat5 crossover cable. I got
    > them to work with NetBEUI with no problems. Then I tried to get them
    > to work with TCP/IP.

    > I can't ping in either direction.

    What did you set the IP addresses to and the netmask (Control Panel>
    Network> TCP/IP settings)?

    Try 192.168.0.120 and 192.168.0.121 with a netmask of
    255.255.255.0 and that may bring happiness. Default gateway...dunno
    if it matters but you can toss 192.168.0.1 in there for ****s and
    giggles.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Peer to peer TCP/IP

    I tried the addresses you recommend and still get the same results. I was using the same IP addresses except for the last number. I am now reinstalling Win98 on the second PC. I would like to do a clean Win98 install on my main PC but it will be difficult because there are three windows installations on it.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  4. Re: Peer to peer TCP/IP

    The message <42446ECF.73B9D150@sbcglobal.net>
    from Mike Walsh contains these words:

    > After getting a second home PC I decided to see if I could get them to
    > work on a peer to peer network with a cat5 crossover cable. I got them
    > to work with NetBEUI with no problems. Then I tried to get them to
    > work with TCP/IP. Running Win98 on both PCs whichever PC is started
    > first can find the other computer, but will not see any drives. The PC
    > that is started second does not find the other PC. I believe this has
    > something to do with the fact that first computer is the
    > Browser-Master, but I don't really understand this. I can't ping in
    > either direction. Running WinNT on one PC and Win98 on the other they
    > still don't work. WINS resolution and DNS are disabled. There is no
    > gateway. I have been told that I don't need them for this
    > configuration. Should this configuration work? Why doesn't it?

    > Mike Walsh

    Hi Mike, I apologise if I'm "teaching you to suck eggs" (do you have
    this expression in the states?), but have you installed "file and
    printer sharing" ? This would account for your first boot-up machine
    seeing the second machine but not able to access the drive on it.
    I am surprised that if the first booted machine can see the second one,
    that you cannot ping it! This is odd, unless of course you still have
    Netbeui enabled?
    I have at home had a similar circumstance with a W98 and a W2000
    machine. I ended up upgrading the W98 PC to W2000 and all the problems
    went away :-).
    Best of Luck, Phil...

  5. Re: Peer to peer TCP/IP

    Philip Jones wrote:

    > The message <42446ECF.73B9D150@sbcglobal.net>
    > from Mike Walsh contains these words:
    >
    > > After getting a second home PC I decided to see if I could get them to
    > > work on a peer to peer network with a cat5 crossover cable. I got them
    > > to work with NetBEUI with no problems. Then I tried to get them to
    > > work with TCP/IP. Running Win98 on both PCs whichever PC is started
    > > first can find the other computer, but will not see any drives. The PC
    > > that is started second does not find the other PC. I believe this has
    > > something to do with the fact that first computer is the
    > > Browser-Master, but I don't really understand this. I can't ping in
    > > either direction. Running WinNT on one PC and Win98 on the other they
    > > still don't work. WINS resolution and DNS are disabled. There is no
    > > gateway. I have been told that I don't need them for this
    > > configuration. Should this configuration work? Why doesn't it?

    > > Mike Walsh

    > Hi Mike, I apologise if I'm "teaching you to suck eggs" (do you have
    > this expression in the states?), but have you installed "file and
    > printer sharing" ? This would account for your first boot-up machine
    > seeing the second machine but not able to access the drive on it.
    > I am surprised that if the first booted machine can see the second one,
    > that you cannot ping it! This is odd, unless of course you still have
    > Netbeui enabled?
    > I have at home had a similar circumstance with a W98 and a W2000
    > machine. I ended up upgrading the W98 PC to W2000 and all the problems
    > went away :-).
    > Best of Luck, Phil...

    File and print sharing is enabled. Identification is the same as when NetBEUI worked. I removed NetBEUI before I installed TCP/IP but I am wondering if there are vestiges of it remaining that are keeping TCP/IP from working. I reinstalled Win98 on both PCs in the existing directories and nothing changed. I have not yet reinstalled WinNT or done a clean install of Win98.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  6. Re: Peer to peer TCP/IP

    Mike Walsh wrote in

    > I tried the addresses you recommend and still get the same results. I
    > was using the same IP addresses except for the last number. I am now
    > reinstalling Win98 on the second PC. I would like to do a clean Win98
    > install on my main PC but it will be difficult because there are three
    > windows installations on it.

    I don't suppose you have firewalls on either of your machine?

+ Reply to Thread