Resetting default image viewer, Windows XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Resetting default image viewer, Windows XP - Microsoft Windows ; [This is my third attempt to post this. The first two didn't show up. Apologies if you see this more than once.] I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2, with all the latest updates. When the system was first installed, the ...

  1. Resetting default image viewer, Windows XP

    [This is my third attempt to post this. The first two didn't show up.
    Apologies if you see this more than once.]

    I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2, with all the latest updates.

    When the system was first installed, the default image viewer was
    "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". Somehow it was changed to a
    different application (my web browser); now I want to change it back.

    In the Folder Options window (under Control Panel), the File Types tab
    lets you change the appication used by default for various file types,
    by suffix. It defines groups of file types; for example, .BMP, .GIF,
    ..JPG, and several others are classified as "Image". You can configure
    either an individual file type or a group, but the interfaces for
    doing so are very different (for some unknown reason).

    Selecting "JPG" under the File Types tab, I can click on the Change
    button to set the application used to open *.JPG files. The menu
    lists a number of applications, including "Windows Picture and Fax
    Viewer", so I can set the default to that if I do it individually for
    each file type.

    If I click on Advanced, which lets me configure settings for all
    "Image" files, I can browser for an application. The obvious thing to
    do is select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", but there doesn't seem
    to be an application associated with it. When I run it, the Task
    Manager shows that the process is explorer.exe. I tried using
    explorer.exe to open image files, but it complains that the argument
    isn't a directory.

    I want to set the default application for all Image files to "Windows
    Picture and Fax Viewer". Can I do this without setting it
    individually for each type of image file (and thereby losing their
    categorization as "Image" files)?

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>

  2. Re: Resetting default image viewer, Windows XP

    > I want to set the default application for all Image files to "Windows
    > Picture and Fax Viewer". Can I do this without setting it
    > individually for each type of image file (and thereby losing their
    > categorization as "Image" files)?

    I use Irfanview, a freeware picture (and some other **** as well) viewer
    for all this stuff.
    It can be easily told what files it should open, and is lightweight and
    quite powerfull, maybe you should try this?

  3. Re: Resetting default image viewer, Windows XP

    Wim Cossement writes:
    >> I want to set the default application for all Image files to "Windows
    >> Picture and Fax Viewer". Can I do this without setting it
    >> individually for each type of image file (and thereby losing their
    >> categorization as "Image" files)?

    > I use Irfanview, a freeware picture (and some other **** as well)
    > viewer for all this stuff.
    > It can be easily told what files it should open, and is lightweight
    > and quite powerfull, maybe you should try this?

    Thanks, I'll definitely look into it.

    BTW, I'm still interested in an answer to the original question
    (assuming there is one). I just checked annoyances.org and found some
    information on how to *turn off* the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as
    the default image viewer, but not how to turn it back on.