Explorer thumbnails in Win XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Explorer thumbnails in Win XP - Microsoft Windows ; I have Windows XP Pro SP2. The other day, file names disappeared from my thumbnails in File Explorer. Very strange. Has this happened to anyone else?...

  1. Explorer thumbnails in Win XP

    I have Windows XP Pro SP2. The other day, file names disappeared from
    my thumbnails in File Explorer. Very strange. Has this happened to
    anyone else?

  2. Re: Explorer thumbnails in Win XP

    snash wrote:
    > I have Windows XP Pro SP2. The other day, file names disappeared from
    > my thumbnails in File Explorer. Very strange. Has this happened to
    > anyone else?

    Another all-too-typical example of MS software spontaneously changing
    its behavior and generally demonstrating its pretensions to having a
    mind of its own.

    Whenever software tries to act "smart", expect something really dumb.

  3. Re: Explorer thumbnails in Win XP

    "snash" writes:
    > I have Windows XP Pro SP2. The other day, file names disappeared from
    > my thumbnails in File Explorer. Very strange. Has this happened to
    > anyone else?

    In XP, there's also a filmstrip view that doesn't include filenames
    (though I don't have that machine in front of me).

    Is it possible your View settings have simply changed by a misclick,
    or another user modifying the settings?

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Explorer thumbnails in Win XP

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Is it possible your View settings have simply changed by a misclick,
    > or another user modifying the settings?

    Who needs a misclick even? Those settings change all by themselves on
    Mr. Gates' whim, nevermind due to actual explicit user input telling the
    settings to change. :P

  5. Re: Explorer thumbnails in Win XP

    Twisted One writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > Is it possible your View settings have simply changed by a misclick,
    > > or another user modifying the settings?

    > Who needs a misclick even? Those settings change all by themselves on
    > Mr. Gates' whim, nevermind due to actual explicit user input telling
    > the settings to change. :P

    Not in my experience. But then again, you seem to live in a strange
    parallel universe.

    Look, I'd killfile ya, but I feel a need to highlight to you that
    you're way off on an unreasonable deep end in your Microsoft bashing
    to the point where you're inventing things and taking individual
    experiences and generalizing them with great abandon. But maybe
    you're too thick to ever understand that you m.o. here in
    comp.os.ms-windows.misc is kinda like going to Linux users group
    meeting and trying to sell people on the virtues of SCO Unix.

    Or, it'd be like hanging in rec.games.rouguelike.* and saying that all
    Rogue variants are terrible games and no one should play them, and if
    you couldn't get past a given point in the game that it was yer own
    dumb fault for ever starting to play the game. See, the audience by
    definition won't be helped by the pitch, and they're likely to find
    you a tiresome, unhelpful pain in the ass.

    Then again, there are plenty of trolls in the world who just like the
    attention and the controvery and don't have much better to do. Are
    you among them?

    You can save yourself the angst by taking the diatribes and
    unsubstantiated claims to other groups, to an audience that might get
    whooped up behind ya. comp.os.linux.advocacy would be a great start.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Explorer thumbnails in Win XP

    comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:
    > "snash" writes:
    >> I have Windows XP Pro SP2. The other day, file names disappeared from
    >> my thumbnails in File Explorer. Very strange. Has this happened to
    >> anyone else?

    > In XP, there's also a filmstrip view that doesn't include filenames
    > (though I don't have that machine in front of me).

    Really? I'm typing this on an XP system (XP Pro, SP2). The available
    views are Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, and Details. All of them
    show the filenames. (You can customize the fields shown in the
    Details view, but you can't turn off the name.)

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>

  7. Re: Explorer thumbnails in Win XP

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Twisted One writes:
    >
    >>Todd H. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is it possible your View settings have simply changed by a misclick,
    >>>or another user modifying the settings?

    >>Who needs a misclick even? Those settings change all by themselves on
    >>Mr. Gates' whim, nevermind due to actual explicit user input telling
    >>the settings to change. :P

    > Not in my experience.

    [snip flame]

    Are you then claiming that on all of the numerous times I have gone to a
    directory and found it had changed to thumbnails, or filmstrip, or the
    "last modified" option was mysteriously gone from the sort options, or
    other changes had happened, it was my imagination? And all of the
    similar things discussed on annoyances.org were their imaginations? Now,
    really.