Drag and Drop stops working - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Drag and Drop stops working - Microsoft Windows ; I have had this NT-SP6 system online for years. The last few months the system gets into a strange state: 1)Drag and Drop stops working 2)MS Access 95 refuses to load (after launching it gives me an error: "A problem ...

  1. Drag and Drop stops working

    I have had this NT-SP6 system online for years. The last few months the
    system gets into a strange state:

    1)Drag and Drop stops working

    2)MS Access 95 refuses to load (after launching it gives me an error:
    "A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the
    object application")

    3)Visual Basic 5 also fails to load, it gives me an error ("Unexpected
    Error:quitting")

    Rebooting will clear the problem for hours to days.

    Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Regards,
    Phil

  2. Re: Drag and Drop stops working

    "Phil" writes:
    > I have had this NT-SP6 system online for years. The last few months the
    > system gets into a strange state:
    >
    > 1)Drag and Drop stops working
    >
    > 2)MS Access 95 refuses to load (after launching it gives me an error:
    > "A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the
    > object application")
    >
    > 3)Visual Basic 5 also fails to load, it gives me an error ("Unexpected
    > Error:quitting")
    >
    > Rebooting will clear the problem for hours to days.

    svchost.exe dying? Check the Windows event logs for more clues.

    I know when I lose svchost.exe, cut and paste and drag and drop dies
    in a subset of apps that that svchost instance was servicing.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Drag and Drop stops working

    Phil wrote:
    > I have had this NT-SP6 system online for years. The last few months the
    > system gets into a strange state:
    >
    > 1)Drag and Drop stops working
    >
    > 2)MS Access 95 refuses to load (after launching it gives me an error:
    > "A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the
    > object application")
    >
    > 3)Visual Basic 5 also fails to load, it gives me an error ("Unexpected
    > Error:quitting")
    >
    > Rebooting will clear the problem for hours to days.

    Systems spontaneously going into a strange state where something
    mysteriously doesn't work until you reboot is just standard Microsoft
    software and Windows behavior.

  4. Re: Drag and Drop stops working

    Twisted One writes:
    > Phil wrote:
    > > I have had this NT-SP6 system online for years. The last few months the
    > > system gets into a strange state:
    > > 1)Drag and Drop stops working
    > > 2)MS Access 95 refuses to load (after launching it gives me an error:
    > > "A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the
    > > object application")
    > > 3)Visual Basic 5 also fails to load, it gives me an error
    > > ("Unexpected
    > > Error:quitting")
    > > Rebooting will clear the problem for hours to days.

    > Systems spontaneously going into a strange state where something
    > mysteriously doesn't work until you reboot is just standard Microsoft
    > software and Windows behavior.

    This is NT SP6, though. Not ME or 95.

    But cheers to another extremely helpful response on
    comp.os.ms-windows.misc, there twisted guy. 8-)

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Drag and Drop stops working

    Todd H. wrote:
    >>Systems spontaneously going into a strange state where something
    >>mysteriously doesn't work until you reboot is just standard Microsoft
    >>software and Windows behavior.

    > This is NT SP6, though. Not ME or 95.

    So? I use winXP, which has an NT core, and see this kind of **** only
    slightly less often than I did under Win98, or the awful WinME.

    The original poster's best course of action is probably to get a real
    operating system. Failing that, live with the frequent reboots -- it's
    the only choice if you want to stay in Microsoftland.

  6. Re: Drag and Drop stops working

    Twisted One writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > >>Systems spontaneously going into a strange state where something
    > >>mysteriously doesn't work until you reboot is just standard Microsoft
    > >>software and Windows behavior.

    > > This is NT SP6, though. Not ME or 95.

    > So? I use winXP, which has an NT core, and see this kind of **** only
    > slightly less often than I did under Win98, or the awful WinME.
    >
    > The original poster's best course of action is probably to get a real
    > operating system. Failing that, live with the frequent reboots -- it's
    > the only choice if you want to stay in Microsoftland.

    Dunno what you're doing then, or what goofy stuff you're doing to your
    system. I've long been able to go a week or more routinely without a
    reboot on the NT, Win2k and now the XP Home systems I've had when
    things are running correctly. And all of these are workstation OS
    configs, and not server configs which can be made more stable still.

    I offer this only as a datapoint to dismantle your kneejerk "you must
    change OS's" diatribe.

    The other datapoint that puts your advice into the same light is that
    the original poster's system was running quite acceptably to him until
    very recently...which leaves him searching for a return to the
    stability hi NT SP6 sytem enjoyed before the mystery event occurred.

    His best source for clues is the NT event log, and running some hard
    drive and memory diagnostics to narrow down the issue.

    Because, in most real scenario's migrating away from MS for the
    problems posted in this Windows newsgroup, is--like most of your
    advice--not terribly practical.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: Drag and Drop stops working

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Dunno what you're doing then, or what goofy stuff you're doing to your
    > system. I've long been able to go a week or more routinely without a
    > reboot on the NT, Win2k and now the XP Home systems I've had when
    > things are running correctly. And all of these are workstation OS
    > configs, and not server configs which can be made more stable still.

    I've done so too with XP Home. Sooner or later though it just has to be
    restarted for no technologically-sensible reason. Usually, because even
    with 1GB RAM the system is getting slow and wonky and task manager shows
    Explorer at 200MB and various other indications of leakage and bloat in
    tasks that cannot simply be closed and reopened, at least not without
    causing weird and annoying side effects that also take a reboot to fix.

    Anyways, if a whole two weeks goes by without another reboot-requiring
    critical update coming down the pipe it's a ****ing miracle anyway.

    > The other datapoint that puts your advice into the same light is that
    > the original poster's system was running quite acceptably to him until
    > very recently...which leaves him searching for a return to the
    > stability hi NT SP6 sytem enjoyed before the mystery event occurred.

    Stability? Windows? You must be joking, right? It's only gotten a bit
    more unstable than it used to be, that's all. It might even be his
    imagination. There's been a surprising dearth of critical updates
    lately, probably not because of a lack of security holes mind you, but
    just because M$ has decided to take even longer to fix the Exploit of
    the Week(tm). As a result, his machine has actually had uptimes
    previously never before encountered, and new and weird leak-related
    wonkiness has become apparent that never showed up before because some
    update or another would require he reboot just before it would otherwise
    have happened. Either that, or the last update he installed has added to
    Windows' wonkiness, which is typical of about every third update and
    almost every single so-called service pack. Or new software which is
    supposed to live in userland has made the OS wonkier, which is typical,
    even with the NT family. I've disabled Photopaint's shell extensions on
    my system because they made Explorer hemmorhage RAM even worse than it
    does without them and made it slow and wonky in other ways to boot; this
    is a good example of how ordinary apps sometimes make Windows become
    slightly wonkier than it was before. Of course the surest way to make
    any Windows system unbelievably cranky and weird, especially after more
    than a few hours' uptime, is to install any commercial antivirus
    software whatsoever...that, or install the latest service pack before
    any of the subsequent three dozen bug fix patches have also become
    available. (Or letting the system get infected by spyware, but people
    actually do the former two *deliberately*!)

    > Because, in most real scenario's migrating away from MS for the
    > problems posted in this Windows newsgroup, is--like most of your
    > advice--not terribly practical.

    Unfortunately, as long as the state of the art in free alternative OSes
    remains stuck in the 1970s mainframe-era nostalgia mode, you're probably
    right. :P