BIZARRENESS UNDER MY WINXP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on BIZARRENESS UNDER MY WINXP - Microsoft Windows ; Hi Iīm scared! Why my WinXP donīt let me create files with names aux.h and aux.c?? It simply doesn't accept that I rename files with these names. I thought it could be names of programs in some directory stored in ...

  1. BIZARRENESS UNDER MY WINXP

    Hi

    Iīm scared!
    Why my WinXP donīt let me create files with names aux.h and aux.c??
    It simply doesn't accept that I rename files with these names. I
    thought it could be names of programs in some directory stored in
    "Path" environment variable but I couldnīt find anything.
    Plus, if I go Start/Run and type one of these names it will open the
    Notepad with a blank screen and a message pop-up "Access denied". Very
    bizarre!!

    Could someone point me out what is going on here?
    Thank you very much,

    Leo

  2. Re: BIZARRENESS UNDER MY WINXP

    Leonardo wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Iīm scared!
    > Why my WinXP donīt let me create files with names aux.h and aux.c??
    > It simply doesn't accept that I rename files with these names. I
    > thought it could be names of programs in some directory stored in
    > "Path" environment variable but I couldnīt find anything.
    > Plus, if I go Start/Run and type one of these names it will open the
    > Notepad with a blank screen and a message pop-up "Access denied". Very
    > bizarre!!
    >
    > Could someone point me out what is going on here?
    > Thank you very much,

    Names like "Com" and such do that too -- it's legacy behavior from the
    days of yore and MS-DOS. :P

  3. Re: BIZARRENESS UNDER MY WINXP

    "Twisted One" wrote in message
    > Leonardo wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Iīm scared! Why my WinXP donīt let me create files with names aux.h and
    >> aux.c??
    >> It simply doesn't accept that I rename files with these names. I
    >> thought it could be names of programs in some directory stored in
    >> "Path" environment variable but I couldnīt find anything.
    >> Plus, if I go Start/Run and type one of these names it will open the
    >> Notepad with a blank screen and a message pop-up "Access denied". Very
    >> bizarre!!
    >>
    >> Could someone point me out what is going on here?
    >> Thank you very much,

    > Names like "Com" and such do that too -- it's legacy behavior from the
    > days of yore and MS-DOS. :P

    hehe, theres a whole bunch of them, some more bizzare than others ;-)

    Chris

    > --
    > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
    > Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
    > "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
    > One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

+ Reply to Thread