Where is the Windows registry? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Where is the Windows registry? - Microsoft Windows ; My hd crashed and I had to install Win2000 again. Luckily I had a full backup of the HD including WINNT directory. I need to get a few registry entries but where is the Windows registry. I think it should ...

  1. Where is the Windows registry?

    My hd crashed and I had to install Win2000 again. Luckily I had a full backup of
    the HD including WINNT directory. I need to get a few registry entries but where
    is the Windows registry. I think it should called something.reg or is it? Which
    file I can open with regedit?

  2. Re: Where is the Windows registry?

    123 wrote:

    > My hd crashed and I had to install Win2000 again. Luckily I had a full backup of
    > the HD including WINNT directory. I need to get a few registry entries but where
    > is the Windows registry. I think it should called something.reg or is it? Which
    > file I can open with regedit?

    I thought all that stuff is in the system32/config dir, but since all
    those files are locked while the OS is runnin you will have to copy them
    with another tool or just put yr disk in another machine...

    Wim

  3. Re: Where is the Windows registry?

    Wim Cossement wrote:
    > I thought all that stuff is in the system32/config dir, but since all
    > those files are locked while the OS is runnin you will have to copy them
    > with another tool or just put yr disk in another machine...

    You should be able to copy locked files; just not modify or delete them.

  4. Re: Where is the Windows registry?

    Wim Cossement wrote:

    >123 wrote:
    >
    >> My hd crashed and I had to install Win2000 again. Luckily I had a full backup of
    >> the HD including WINNT directory. I need to get a few registry entries but where
    >> is the Windows registry. I think it should called something.reg or is it? Which
    >> file I can open with regedit?

    >I thought all that stuff is in the system32/config dir, but since all
    >those files are locked while the OS is runnin you will have to copy them
    >with another tool or just put yr disk in another machine...
    >
    >Wim

    The old windows is on another hd in the reinstalled system. So not I have
    C:\WINNT hich is running and active and the old windows on E:\backup\C\WINNT.
    What are the registry filename under my E:\backup\C\WINNT?

  5. Re: Where is the Windows registry?

    > The old windows is on another hd in the reinstalled system. So not I have
    > C:\WINNT hich is running and active and the old windows on E:\backup\C\WINNT.
    > What are the registry filename under my E:\backup\C\WINNT?

    Eeh, how about trying E:\backup\C\WINNT\system32/config?? :-)

    And it might be true that you can copy a locked file (read from it),
    there are at least some tools for it (like Roadkill's unstoppable copier
    I guess) but he needs to put something in it.

    Maybe there is a tool that allows you to open your saved files, export a
    key in reg format and then you might be able to (re)import it, but some
    values don't want to be overwritten...

  6. Re: Where is the Windows registry?

    Wim Cossement wrote:

    >> The old windows is on another hd in the reinstalled system. So not I have
    >> C:\WINNT hich is running and active and the old windows on E:\backup\C\WINNT.
    >> What are the registry filename under my E:\backup\C\WINNT?

    >Eeh, how about trying E:\backup\C\WINNT\system32/config?? :-)
    >
    >And it might be true that you can copy a locked file (read from it),
    >there are at least some tools for it (like Roadkill's unstoppable copier
    >I guess) but he needs to put something in it.
    >
    >Maybe there is a tool that allows you to open your saved files, export a
    >key in reg format and then you might be able to (re)import it, but some
    >values don't want to be overwritten...

    Thanks again. I don't want to import or export registry. I just want to take a
    look in my old registry. REGEDIT gas only IMport/Export but not Open/Save. Any
    tools for that or is there a way in REGEDIT to do just that?
    When my HD crashed it was the bootload partition and a couple of files in WINNT
    that seemed to go broken. Everything else was OK but I reinstalled Windows just
    the same.

+ Reply to Thread