Very weird problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Very weird problem - Microsoft Windows ; Apologies for the cross post, but I figure one to a Mac forum and one to a Windows forum isn't unreasonable. I have a weird problem. Actually a staff member at a company I service have a problem - so ...

  1. Very weird problem

    Apologies for the cross post, but I figure one to a Mac forum and one
    to a Windows forum isn't unreasonable.

    I have a weird problem. Actually a staff member at a company I service
    have a problem - so take it with a pinch of salt perhaps, since I
    didn't have the time to reproduce it (and confirm it) and users can be
    quite bad at diagnostics.

    Anyways - it's a small company, about three PC's (Win98) and three Macs
    (newish, OS X). Someone reports that their Win98 machine works fine,
    until the Macs on the network are turned on. Then their machine
    occasionally becomes sluggish and jerks once in a while. He used a
    windows firewall program and noticed incoming UDP packets from the Mac
    machines. I have however checked those Macs and they have both SMB and
    AFP turned off.

    This sounds strange indeed - anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Terence

  2. Re: Very weird problem

    wrote in message
    news:1111033236.323154.206560@l41g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Apologies for the cross post, but I figure one to a Mac forum and one
    > to a Windows forum isn't unreasonable.
    >
    > I have a weird problem. Actually a staff member at a company I service
    > have a problem - so take it with a pinch of salt perhaps, since I
    > didn't have the time to reproduce it (and confirm it) and users can be
    > quite bad at diagnostics.
    >
    > Anyways - it's a small company, about three PC's (Win98) and three Macs
    > (newish, OS X). Someone reports that their Win98 machine works fine,
    > until the Macs on the network are turned on. Then their machine
    > occasionally becomes sluggish and jerks once in a while. He used a
    > windows firewall program and noticed incoming UDP packets from the Mac
    > machines. I have however checked those Macs and they have both SMB and
    > AFP turned off.
    >
    > This sounds strange indeed - anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Terence

    Not enough information. What version of OS X? What does "sluggish and
    jerks" mean? I would suggest looing at browse master issues and IPv6
    setting. Other people might be willing to comment if there is more info.

  3. Re: Very weird problem

    terence.parker@gmail.com wrote:

    > Apologies for the cross post, but I figure one to a Mac forum and one
    > to a Windows forum isn't unreasonable.
    >
    > I have a weird problem. Actually a staff member at a company I service
    > have a problem - so take it with a pinch of salt perhaps, since I
    > didn't have the time to reproduce it (and confirm it) and users can be
    > quite bad at diagnostics.
    >
    > Anyways - it's a small company, about three PC's (Win98) and three Macs
    > (newish, OS X). Someone reports that their Win98 machine works fine,
    > until the Macs on the network are turned on. Then their machine
    > occasionally becomes sluggish and jerks once in a while. He used a
    > windows firewall program and noticed incoming UDP packets from the Mac
    > machines. I have however checked those Macs and they have both SMB and
    > AFP turned off.
    >
    > This sounds strange indeed - anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Terence

    Try PC MacLAN

    http://www.miramar.com/Products/PC_MACLAN/ (free demo download)

    Let us know if this solves your problems.

+ Reply to Thread