Problem with Norton AntiVirus 2005 on Windows ME - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Problem with Norton AntiVirus 2005 on Windows ME - Microsoft Windows ; Long story here guys and I really need some help! Okay so this Windows ME computer had Norton AntiVirus 2001 on it. We bought Norton AntiVirus 2005. We uninstalled Norton AntiVirus 2001 and then tried to install Norton 2005. We ...

  1. Problem with Norton AntiVirus 2005 on Windows ME

    Long story here guys and I really need some help! Okay so this Windows
    ME computer had Norton AntiVirus 2001 on it. We bought Norton
    AntiVirus 2005. We uninstalled Norton AntiVirus 2001 and then tried to
    install Norton 2005. We got error messages all over saying that Norton
    2001 wasn't completely uninstalled or something. So I canceled the
    installation of Norton 2005 and i looked on the Add/Remove and Norton
    2001 was still there!! So I tried to delete it again, still there. So
    I did a search on the computer for Norton and deleted everything I
    found. Then I did a search for Symantec and deleted everything I
    found. Still in the programs list on Add/Remove=/ So then I went to
    the registry and did a search for Norton and deleted everything I
    found. Then I did a search for Symantec and deleted everything I
    found. Then I restarted. BOOM Norton gone! So I installed Norton
    AntiVirus 2005 with no problems at all. But then, when i went to
    activate the internet wouldnt work. So I canceled the activation and
    tried to go right to live update. It couldn't connect to that either.
    So I canceled that and tried to go to Internet Explorer. No internet
    there either!! So I was like crappp. I changed every setting in the
    world on Norton AntiVirus 2005 and had no luck. So I called Norton
    tech support and they had me do all the same stuff I had already done
    and said that Norton is fine and I should just talk to my ISP. but I
    already did and they said everything looks fine! So what I'm wondering
    is this...When I went through and deleted all of those registry keys
    could one of those have had something to do with the internet and
    caused it to not work anymore?? Or is there just seriously a problem
    with my ISP and I should call and bother them more? Someone please
    help because this is for a business computer and were losing money by
    not being able to put more books online (its a book company). Any help
    will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot
    ~Matthew

  2. Re: Problem with Norton AntiVirus 2005 on Windows ME

    frictionboy87 wrote:
    > Long story here guys and I really need some help! Okay so this Windows
    > ME computer had Norton AntiVirus 2001 on it. We bought Norton
    > AntiVirus 2005. We uninstalled Norton AntiVirus 2001 and then tried to
    > install Norton 2005. We got error messages all over saying that Norton
    > 2001 wasn't completely uninstalled or something. So I canceled the
    > installation of Norton 2005 and i looked on the Add/Remove and Norton
    > 2001 was still there!! So I tried to delete it again, still there. So
    > I did a search on the computer for Norton and deleted everything I
    > found. Then I did a search for Symantec and deleted everything I
    > found. Still in the programs list on Add/Remove=/ So then I went to
    > the registry and did a search for Norton and deleted everything I
    > found. Then I did a search for Symantec and deleted everything I
    > found. Then I restarted. BOOM Norton gone! So I installed Norton
    > AntiVirus 2005 with no problems at all. But then, when i went to
    > activate the internet wouldnt work. So I canceled the activation and
    > tried to go right to live update. It couldn't connect to that either.
    > So I canceled that and tried to go to Internet Explorer. No internet
    > there either!! So I was like crappp. I changed every setting in the
    > world on Norton AntiVirus 2005 and had no luck. So I called Norton
    > tech support and they had me do all the same stuff I had already done
    > and said that Norton is fine and I should just talk to my ISP. but I
    > already did and they said everything looks fine! So what I'm wondering
    > is this...When I went through and deleted all of those registry keys
    > could one of those have had something to do with the internet and
    > caused it to not work anymore?? Or is there just seriously a problem
    > with my ISP and I should call and bother them more? Someone please
    > help because this is for a business computer and were losing money by
    > not being able to put more books online (its a book company). Any help
    > will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot
    > ~Matthew

    Your news reader posted this successfully to Usenet, so it looks like
    low level internet is fine, but Web browsing is broken. Reinstall the
    browser, install and try Firefox, or even reinstall the OS; with luck
    one of those (in increasing order of drasticness) will fix it. And get
    F-Prot or something and forget NAV 2005. NAV 2005 is a piece of ****.

    http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/...2/6/8182/06280

  3. Re: Problem with Norton AntiVirus 2005 on Windows ME

    Nah I wrote this from my home computer. The issue is at the office.
    At the office I can't get any internet at all. Not even like
    google.com=/ So I don't think its the browser because it wont even let
    me do LiveUpdate because it says that im not connected to the internet.
    But you don't think I could have deleted anything important by just
    deleting all the registry entries that had to do with Norton?

  4. Re: Problem with Norton AntiVirus 2005 on Windows ME

    ok so i connected to another computer in the office just fine. so its
    on the network! but still no internet!! and about the
    protocols/binding are there certain settings fo it that u could tell me
    or is it different for every ISP?

  5. Re: Problem with Norton AntiVirus 2005 on Windows ME

    Hai i am Afsal,
    When you uninstalled the Norton software were you able to access the
    internet. If answer is yes then note this point.
    Internet worm protection is actually a firewall which is blocking the
    internet connection.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam

+ Reply to Thread