Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user - Microsoft Windows ; Don't care what anyone sez, I like my Vista. Been playing with Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate for all of two months now, very enjoyable. Mark-...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    Don't care what anyone sez, I like my Vista.

    Been playing with Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate for all of two
    months now, very enjoyable.

    Mark-

  2. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    Mark Conrad wrote:

    > Don't care what anyone sez, I like my Vista.
    >
    > Been playing with Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate for all of two
    > months now, very enjoyable.
    >
    > Mark-

    I concur!

  3. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article ,
    "Erich Kohl" wrote:

    > > Don't care what anyone sez, I like my Vista.
    > >
    > > Been playing with Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate for all of two
    > > months now, very enjoyable.
    > >
    > > Mark-

    > I concur!

    All new OSs have growing pains when they first come out.

    Even Apple's OS X was a pile of dog crap in its very first version 10.0.0

    It was not until version 10.1.0 that OS X became usable.

    Presently OS X is version 10.4.10

    Version 10.5.0 due out in October, code-named "Leopard".

    As I might have mentioned earlier, I use Vista Ultimate to run just one
    application, on my Mac hardware.

    That app' is Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9.5

    Much better dictation app' than any strictly Mac software.

    Mark-

  4. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 5, 2007, Mark Conrad wrote:

    > Don't care what anyone sez, I like my Vista.
    >
    > Been playing with Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate for all of two
    > months now, very enjoyable.
    >
    > Mark-

    This post might overwhelm the servers carrying this C.O.M-W-A group, with all
    the heavy traffic and all.

  5. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 8, 7:00 pm, Tim Murray wrote:
    > On Sep 5, 2007, Mark Conrad wrote:
    >

    > > Don't care what anyone sez, I like my Vista.

    > > Been playing with Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate for all of two
    > > months now, very enjoyable.

    > > Mark-

    > This post might overwhelm the servers carrying this C.O.M-W-A group, with all
    > the heavy traffic and all.

    Most Windows users aren't OS worshipers who need to find a place to
    extol the wonders of their computing machinery.

    Make a note of that.

  6. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 7, 9:45 am, Mark Conrad wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Erich Kohl" wrote:
    >
    > > > Don't care what anyone sez, I like my Vista.

    > > > Been playing with Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate for all of two
    > > > months now, very enjoyable.

    > > > Mark-

    > > I concur!

    > All new OSs have growing pains when they first come out.
    >
    > Even Apple's OS X was a pile of dog crap in its very first version 10.0.0
    >
    > It was not until version 10.1.0 that OS X became usable.
    >
    > Presently OS X is version 10.4.10
    >
    > Version 10.5.0 due out in October, code-named "Leopard".
    >
    > As I might have mentioned earlier, I use Vista Ultimate to run just one
    > application, on my Mac hardware.
    >
    > That app' is Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9.5
    >
    > Much better dictation app' than any strictly Mac software.

    This needs to be shared with your fellow Mac brethren!

  7. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190215532.486229.312160@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > On Sep 7, 9:45 am, Mark Conrad wrote:

    > > > I concur!

    > > All new OSs have growing pains when they first come out.
    > >
    > > Even Apple's OS X was a pile of dog crap in its very first version 10.0.0
    > >
    > > It was not until version 10.1.0 that OS X became usable.
    > >
    > > Presently OS X is version 10.4.10
    > >
    > > Version 10.5.0 due out in October, code-named "Leopard".
    > >
    > > As I might have mentioned earlier, I use Vista Ultimate to run just one
    > > application, on my Mac hardware.
    > >
    > > That app' is Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9.5
    > >
    > > Much better dictation app' than any strictly Mac software.

    > This needs to be shared with your fellow Mac brethren!

    Would not make much a dent in their opinionated views.

    Only Mac users who have actually had substantial experience running
    Windows have an appreciation of its value. (and drawbacks)

    As recently as a year ago, I had an instant battle on my hands every
    time I tried to inform my fellow Mac users that the "Dragon" dictation
    app' was much better than "iListen", a Mac-only dictation app'.

    Some idiot senile doctor came on and told everyone that iListen did a
    superior job for him. iListen ran about $100 then.

    Yeah, right!

    Presently Dragon medical version _starts_ at $1,200 - - - and if I
    bought all the specialized outboard medical vocabularies for it the
    price would skyrocket to over $7,000

    I noticed recently that practically all tirades against Dragon have
    ceased, because now it is so darn easy now for a Mac user to buy the
    so-called "Preferred" version for $200 at places like Office Depot and
    Best Buy and other such chains.

    Slap it into their Intel-based Mac, run Dragon 9.5 on a Boot Camp
    created Vista partition, and watch Dragon kick iListen's butt.

    Present iListen price is $200 also, same price as Dragon "Preferred".

    The lowest priced Dragon, the so-called "Standard" version is
    essentially useless because way too many useful features have been
    gutted from that entry level version.

    A chart that compares the features of the 3 most popular Dragons, the
    so-called "Standard" - - - "Preferred" - - - "Professional"

    ....is at the following website:

    Presently shipping version of Dragon is 9.5 ...which is absolutely
    necessary to work with Vista. (also works with XP Pro, of course)

    Be careful, lots of version 9.0 still on dealers shelves.

    If you get stuck with a 9.0 version by mistake, you will have to wait
    until January 2008 before a free 9.5 download upgrade becomes available!

    Be CERTAIN you are getting the 9.5 version if you intend to run it on
    Vista.

    Best place to shop for Dragon is the scansoft.com website.

    Best places to buy are the large online discount websites.

    I saved $100 on the 9.5 Pro version, paid $800 instead of the $900 that
    the official Nuance website wanted for the exact same software.

    Mark-

  8. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    Mark Conrad wrote:

    > Only Mac users who have actually had substantial experience running
    > Windows have an appreciation of its value. (and drawbacks)

    Been running it at work for several years now; how much experience do
    you require to get to the point of "substantial"?

    > As recently as a year ago, I had an instant battle on my hands every
    > time I tried to inform my fellow Mac users that the "Dragon" dictation
    > app' was much better than "iListen", a Mac-only dictation app'.

    I've heard good things about the Dragon software. I've not even
    heard of "iListen", altough that shouldn't be too surprising, since I
    have little need (thus interest) for dictation software.

    So Windows has a 'great app' that for some, makes it worth having the
    OS. Should this be particularly surprising?

    Or that for some, there's similarly 'great' apps that exist only on OS
    X?

    An OS is merely a means to an end, namely in getting something done.
    It should hardly be surprising that specific incarnations /
    implimentations are going to have specific strengths & weaknesses for
    each . And when comparing them, you're only ever going to be able to
    get a generalized better than/worse than sort of comparison. Thus
    said, the current consumer priorities trend is decreased tolerance of
    security (malware, etc), probably in no small part due to the
    historically glaring deficiencies in Windows products prior to XP SP2
    that sensitized the consumer base and which continue to traumatize on
    a daily basis with zombie-based emailed spams, which as per some
    accounts represent on the order of ~80% of the current email bandwidth
    consumption.

    -hh

  9. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    "-hh" wrote in message
    news:1190233547.795001.244720@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...
    > Mark Conrad wrote:
    >>
    >> Only Mac users who have actually had substantial experience running
    >> Windows have an appreciation of its value. (and drawbacks)

    > Been running it at work for several years now; how much experience do
    > you require to get to the point of "substantial"?
    >
    >> As recently as a year ago, I had an instant battle on my hands every
    >> time I tried to inform my fellow Mac users that the "Dragon" dictation
    >> app' was much better than "iListen", a Mac-only dictation app'.

    > I've heard good things about the Dragon software. I've not even
    > heard of "iListen", altough that shouldn't be too surprising, since I
    > have little need (thus interest) for dictation software.
    >
    > So Windows has a 'great app' that for some, makes it worth having the
    > OS. Should this be particularly surprising?
    >
    > Or that for some, there's similarly 'great' apps that exist only on OS
    > X?
    >
    > An OS is merely a means to an end, namely in getting something done.
    > It should hardly be surprising that specific incarnations /
    > implimentations are going to have specific strengths & weaknesses for
    > each . And when comparing them, you're only ever going to be able to
    > get a generalized better

    I could only wade this far through the disjointed drivel -

    than/worse than sort of comparison. Thus
    > said, the current consumer priorities trend is decreased tolerance of
    > security (malware, etc), probably in no small part due to the
    > historically glaring deficiencies in Windows products prior to XP SP2
    > that sensitized the consumer base and which continue to traumatize on
    > a daily basis with zombie-based emailed spams, which as per some
    > accounts represent on the order of ~80% of the current email bandwidth
    > consumption.
    >

    > -hh

  10. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190233547.795001.244720@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.c om>,
    -hh wrote:

    > Mark Conrad wrote:
    > >
    > > Only Mac users who have actually had substantial experience running
    > > Windows have an appreciation of its value. (and drawbacks)

    > Been running it at work for several years now; how much experience do
    > you require to get to the point of "substantial"?

    Sounds like you qualify.

    Do you advocate running both OSs, or just one?

    Opinions seem to differ radically on that question.

    I guess a lot depends on one's personal perspective of what they want to
    do with their computer.

    I hesitate to criticize either platform, because then the thread seems
    to quickly degrade because some have an emotional attachment to their
    chosen platform.

    On the other hand, it is almost as difficult to dwell on the "good
    points" of either platform, because that also tends to infuriate some
    users when they hear that _their_ chosen platform might be deficient
    in some respects.

    (heaven forbid!)

    Very difficult subject to discuss in a rational manner.

    But then, who sez we have to be rational, in this csma NG.

    All righty, lets the games begin. I will throw out the first ball.

    In fact, I will throw out two balls, as balls tend to hang around in
    groups of two.

    PCs/Wintel sucks loudly, S-L-U-R-P

    Macs/OSX sucks loudly, S-L-U-R-P

    So there, take your pick.

    Above all, have fun.

    Mark-

  11. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    I purchased iListen at MacExpo 2007. It was a waste of Money.

  12. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    Edwin wrote:

    > On Sep 7, 9:45 am, Mark Conrad wrote:

    > > > I concur!

    > > All new OSs have growing pains when they first come out.
    > >
    > > Even Apple's OS X was a pile of dog crap in its very first version 10.0.0
    > >
    > > It was not until version 10.1.0 that OS X became usable.
    > >
    > > Presently OS X is version 10.4.10
    > >
    > > Version 10.5.0 due out in October, code-named "Leopard".
    > >
    > > As I might have mentioned earlier, I use Vista Ultimate to run just one
    > > application, on my Mac hardware.
    > >
    > > That app' is Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9.5
    > >
    > > Much better dictation app' than any strictly Mac software.

    > This needs to be shared with your fellow Mac brethren!

    Why?

    According to you such reports are completely untrustworthy...

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  13. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    "zara" wrote:
    > "-hh" wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip]

    > I could only wade this far through the disjointed drivel -

    You're not going to have the luxury of being spoonfed your entire
    life. Try reading it again, Zara. Preferably when you're sober this
    time.

    Cheers!

    -hh

  14. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    Mark Conrad wrote:
    > -hh wrote:
    > > Mark Conrad wrote:

    > > > Only Mac users who have actually had substantial experience running
    > > > Windows have an appreciation of its value. (and drawbacks)

    > > Been running it at work for several years now; how much experience do
    > > you require to get to the point of "substantial"?

    > Sounds like you qualify.

    I kind of figured as much.

    > Do you advocate running both OSs, or just one?

    My preference would be to streamline & simplify and only run just one
    OS. After mucking around with several different systems in the 1980s
    and early 1990s, I eventually did consolidate down to a single OS (Mac
    OS 7) for both work & home, which lasted for probably five years. The
    higher level IT Department at work then mandated imposed
    standardization onto just Windows under the rationale of cost savings,
    even though they overlooked the fact that they were supporting 3 or 4
    different flavors of Windows and made no effort to cull down their
    Windows OS proliferation.

    Today, they continue with their merry empire with rollouts of Active
    Desktop, Tumbleweed Validator, etc,... all sorts of neat little things
    that cause headaches on the desktop, but allow them to "certify" each
    node is clean. Ironically, I just heard from a friend who's still
    working in the IT Dept that we currently have 1200 PC's that are
    registered but haven't been "seen" on our network for the past 12
    months. Some of these are obviously hardware being retired, but
    hardly all of them.

    In any event, initially because of not promptly switching over at home
    to follow my work OS, I became multi-OS experienced. As time passed
    and I gathered more and more comparative experience with both and was
    able to see the headaches with the care & feeding of both platforms,
    my preference is Mac OS, not Windows, because no matter what they
    choose to do at work, I'm the IT repairman for at home.

    > Opinions seem to differ radically on that question.
    >
    > I guess a lot depends on one's personal perspective of what they want
    > to do with their computer.

    Except for games, I don't think that it comes down to too much in
    regards of what they want to do, as either platform can easily do 98%
    of the other.

    > I hesitate to criticize either platform, because then the thread seems
    > to quickly degrade because some have an emotional attachment to their
    > chosen platform.
    >
    > On the other hand, it is almost as difficult to dwell on the "good
    > points" of either platform, because that also tends to infuriate some
    > users when they hear that _their_ chosen platform might be deficient
    > in some respects.
    >
    > (heaven forbid!)

    Yup. And this is the real issue for differencs in opinions: people
    are incredibly insecure and like getting between a bear and her cub,
    it can be dangerous to criticize any of their choices.

    It doesn't matter if we're talking their PC or their
    Automobile...there's usually less objectivity than you might expect
    and and lot more emotional investment ...ie, baggage. Rationality is
    the casualty.

    > Very difficult subject to discuss in a rational manner.

    But there are occasional gems. The Dragon software for dictation is
    an example. It does seem that there is a small group of people out
    there that use dictation, so its great that they have a good tool.
    However, I do have to wonder if the reason why they like dictation
    software is because they never became a decent touch-typist, so
    they're using this tool to overcome a shortcoming. I'm not
    criticizing them for that, for I similarly "cheat" in using language
    translation software & services, to address those languages that I
    don't know.

    -hh

  15. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    "-hh" wrote in message
    news:1190287215.201651.104980@n39g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > "zara" wrote:
    >> "-hh" wrote:
    >> >
    >> > [snip]

    >> I could only wade this far through the disjointed drivel -

    > You're not going to have the luxury of being spoonfed your entire
    > life. Try reading it again, Zara. Preferably when you're sober this
    > time.

    Nah. I read more than enough.

  16. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 19, 11:57 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
    > In article <1190215532.486229.312...@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    >

    > Edwin wrote:
    > > On Sep 7, 9:45 am, Mark Conrad wrote:

    > > > All new OSs have growing pains when they first come out.

    > > > Even Apple's OS X was a pile of dog crap in its very first version 10.0.0

    > > > It was not until version 10.1.0 that OS X became usable.

    > > > Presently OS X is version 10.4.10

    > > > Version 10.5.0 due out in October, code-named "Leopard".

    > > > As I might have mentioned earlier, I use Vista Ultimate to run just one
    > > > application, on my Mac hardware.

    > > > That app' is Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9.5

    > > > Much better dictation app' than any strictly Mac software.

    > > This needs to be shared with your fellow Mac brethren!

    > Why?

    You need to be told why you ought to read posts from your fellow Mac
    users?

    > According to you such reports are completely untrustworthy...

    Quote me saying positive reports about Wintel by Mac users are
    "untrustworthy."

  17. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190308438.506559.38520@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.co m>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > On Sep 19, 11:57 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
    > > In article <1190215532.486229.312...@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    > >

    > > Edwin wrote:

    > > > This needs to be shared with your fellow Mac brethren!

    > > Why?

    > You need to be told why you ought to read posts from your fellow Mac
    > users?
    >
    > > According to you such reports are completely untrustworthy...

    > Quote me saying positive reports about Wintel by Mac users are
    > "untrustworthy."

    How about I just quote you saying positive reports about Macs by Wintel
    users are untrustworthy instead?

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

  18. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190259098.012542.122840@v29g2000prd.googlegroups. com>,
    "gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    > I purchased iListen at MacExpo 2007. It was a waste of Money.

    I was not as bright as you are, because I bought every new version of
    iListen that they peddled - - - even have the present version.

    Like you say, it is a waste of money.

    Heck, even Dragon leaves a lot to be desired.

    Progress is very slow in the speech recognition field, despite all the
    hype one hears from the vendors of speech recognition app's.

    Mark-

  19. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 20, 12:57 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
    > In article <1190308438.506559.38...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.co m>,
    >

    > Edwin wrote:
    > > On Sep 19, 11:57 pm, Alan Baker wrote:

    > > > Why?

    > > You need to be told why you ought to read posts from your fellow Mac
    > > users?

    Note: No response.

    > > > According to you such reports are completely untrustworthy...

    > > Quote me saying positive reports about Wintel by Mac users are
    > > "untrustworthy."

    > How about I just quote you saying positive reports about Macs by Wintel
    > users are untrustworthy instead?

    IOW, you can't support your claims, as usual, and so you're attempting
    to divert to something else... as usual.

    It's okay, Alan. Everybody already knew you were lying anyway.

  20. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190322887.227251.160120@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > On Sep 20, 12:57 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
    > > In article <1190308438.506559.38...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.co m>,
    > >

    > > Edwin wrote:

    > > > You need to be told why you ought to read posts from your fellow Mac
    > > > users?

    > Note: No response.

    > > > Quote me saying positive reports about Wintel by Mac users are
    > > > "untrustworthy."

    > > How about I just quote you saying positive reports about Macs by Wintel
    > > users are untrustworthy instead?

    > IOW, you can't support your claims, as usual, and so you're attempting
    > to divert to something else... as usual.
    >
    > It's okay, Alan. Everybody already knew you were lying anyway.

    LOL

    It called an "analogous" situation, Edwin.

    You sit on the opposite side of the fence, as it were, so we reverse the
    players:

    You told me my report about a Wintel user saying something positive
    about the Mac wasn't trustworthy, so why should it be any different when
    the shoe is on the other foot?