Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user - Microsoft Windows ; "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-857CD7.19075820092007@news.telus.net... > In article , > Edwin wrote: > >> On Sep 20, 12:57 pm, Alan Baker wrote: >> > In article , >> > >> > >> > >> > Edwin wrote: >> > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > In article <1190322887.227251.160120@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>,
    > Edwin wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 20, 12:57 pm, Alan Baker wrote:

    >> Note: No response.

    >> > How about I just quote you saying positive reports about Macs by Wintel
    >> > users are untrustworthy instead?

    >> IOW, you can't support your claims, as usual, and so you're attempting
    >> to divert to something else... as usual.
    >>
    >> It's okay, Alan. Everybody already knew you were lying anyway.

    > LOL
    >
    > It called an "analogous" situation, Edwin.

    No, it's called "evasion" and "obfuscation." Instead of supporting your
    claim, you offered up the opposite of what you claimed.

    > You sit on the opposite side of the fence, as it were, so we reverse the
    > players:

    We do no such thing. You can just admit you lied above instead.

    > You told me my report about a Wintel user saying something positive
    > about the Mac wasn't trustworthy, so why should it be any different when
    > the shoe is on the other foot?

    We were talking about positive Wintel reports by Mac users. You said I
    called those "untrustworthy." Now you can back that up or admit that you
    lied. You don't get to substitute anything else in its place.

  2. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article ,
    "Edwin" wrote:

    > "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > > In article <1190322887.227251.160120@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>,
    > > Edwin wrote:

    > >> Note: No response.

    > >> IOW, you can't support your claims, as usual, and so you're attempting
    > >> to divert to something else... as usual.
    > >>
    > >> It's okay, Alan. Everybody already knew you were lying anyway.

    > > LOL
    > >
    > > It called an "analogous" situation, Edwin.

    > No, it's called "evasion" and "obfuscation." Instead of supporting your
    > claim, you offered up the opposite of what you claimed.
    >
    > > You sit on the opposite side of the fence, as it were, so we reverse the
    > > players:

    > We do no such thing. You can just admit you lied above instead.
    >
    > > You told me my report about a Wintel user saying something positive
    > > about the Mac wasn't trustworthy, so why should it be any different when
    > > the shoe is on the other foot?

    > We were talking about positive Wintel reports by Mac users. You said I
    > called those "untrustworthy." Now you can back that up or admit that you
    > lied. You don't get to substitute anything else in its place.

    You called positive reports about the Mac by Wintel users untrustworthy;
    an analogous situtation.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  3. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 24, 2:04 am, Alan Baker wrote:
    > In article ,
    >

    > "Edwin" wrote:
    > > "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    > > > LOL

    > > > It called an "analogous" situation, Edwin.

    > > No, it's called "evasion" and "obfuscation." Instead of supporting your
    > > claim, you offered up the opposite of what you claimed.

    > > > You sit on the opposite side of the fence, as it were, so we reverse the
    > > > players:

    > > We do no such thing. You can just admit you lied above instead.

    > > > You told me my report about a Wintel user saying something positive
    > > > about the Mac wasn't trustworthy, so why should it be any different when
    > > > the shoe is on the other foot?

    > > We were talking about positive Wintel reports by Mac users. You said I
    > > called those "untrustworthy." Now you can back that up or admit that you
    > > lied. You don't get to substitute anything else in its place.

    > You called positive reports about the Mac by Wintel users untrustworthy;
    > an analogous situtation.

    You haven't offered any proof I did that either, and even if you did,
    it wouldn't make you any less a liar for what you claimed and failed
    to support. No amount of yelling "analogous situation" will get you
    off the hook.

  4. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190647841.545111.85800@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 2:04 am, Alan Baker wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > >

    > > "Edwin" wrote:
    > > > "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    > > > No, it's called "evasion" and "obfuscation." Instead of supporting
    > > > your
    > > > claim, you offered up the opposite of what you claimed.

    > > > We do no such thing. You can just admit you lied above instead.

    > > > We were talking about positive Wintel reports by Mac users. You said I
    > > > called those "untrustworthy." Now you can back that up or admit that
    > > > you
    > > > lied. You don't get to substitute anything else in its place.

    > > You called positive reports about the Mac by Wintel users untrustworthy;
    > > an analogous situtation.

    > You haven't offered any proof I did that either, and even if you did,
    > it wouldn't make you any less a liar for what you claimed and failed
    > to support. No amount of yelling "analogous situation" will get you
    > off the hook.

    Ah. You've changed your tune. I'll happily provide the reference, but I
    won't do so until you decide which defense you're using.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

  5. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 24, 10:33 am, Alan Baker wrote:
    > In article <1190647841.545111.85...@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    >

    > Edwin wrote:
    > > On Sep 24, 2:04 am, Alan Baker wrote:

    > > > You called positive reports about the Mac by Wintel users untrustworthy;
    > > > an analogous situtation.

    > > You haven't offered any proof I did that either, and even if you did,
    > > it wouldn't make you any less a liar for what you claimed and failed
    > > to support. No amount of yelling "analogous situation" will get you
    > > off the hook.

    > Ah. You've changed your tune.

    No I haven't.

    > I'll happily provide the reference,

    Make it a reference to me claiming a positive report about Wintel from
    a Maccie is untrustworthy, in keeping with the claim of yours you're
    obligated to prove isn't a lie, not the reverse of it that you claim
    is an "analogy."

    > but I
    > won't do so until you decide which defense you're using.

    I'm not the guy who has a claim to defend. YOU ARE.

    You stand branded a liar. AGAIN.

  6. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190649170.037919.109990@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 10:33 am, Alan Baker wrote:
    > > In article <1190647841.545111.85...@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    > >

    > > Edwin wrote:

    > > > You haven't offered any proof I did that either, and even if you did,
    > > > it wouldn't make you any less a liar for what you claimed and failed
    > > > to support. No amount of yelling "analogous situation" will get you
    > > > off the hook.

    > > Ah. You've changed your tune.

    > No I haven't.
    >
    > > I'll happily provide the reference,

    > Make it a reference to me claiming a positive report about Wintel from
    > a Maccie is untrustworthy, in keeping with the claim of yours you're
    > obligated to prove isn't a lie, not the reverse of it that you claim
    > is an "analogy."

    Nope. Because the situation is analogous when you claim a postive report
    about the Mac by a Wintel user is untrustworthy.

    > > but I
    > > won't do so until you decide which defense you're using.

    > I'm not the guy who has a claim to defend. YOU ARE.
    >
    > You stand branded a liar. AGAIN.

    LOL

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

  7. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 24, 10:56 am, Alan Baker wrote:
    > In article <1190649170.037919.109...@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>,
    >

    > Edwin wrote:
    > > On Sep 24, 10:33 am, Alan Baker wrote:

    > > > Ah. You've changed your tune.

    > > No I haven't.

    > > > I'll happily provide the reference,

    > > Make it a reference to me claiming a positive report about Wintel from
    > > a Maccie is untrustworthy, in keeping with the claim of yours you're
    > > obligated to prove isn't a lie, not the reverse of it that you claim
    > > is an "analogy."

    > Nope. Because the situation is analogous when you claim a postive report
    > about the Mac by a Wintel user is untrustworthy.

    Again, nothing you claim as an analogy makes a damn bit of
    difference. Support your claim or you are a liar.

    > > > but I
    > > > won't do so until you decide which defense you're using.

    > > I'm not the guy who has a claim to defend. YOU ARE.

    > > You stand branded a liar. AGAIN.

    > LOL

    The fact you're a bald-faced liar makes you laugh?

  8. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190654864.218926.215340@o80g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 10:56 am, Alan Baker wrote:
    > > In article <1190649170.037919.109...@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>,
    > >

    > > Edwin wrote:

    > > > No I haven't.

    > > > Make it a reference to me claiming a positive report about Wintel from
    > > > a Maccie is untrustworthy, in keeping with the claim of yours you're
    > > > obligated to prove isn't a lie, not the reverse of it that you claim
    > > > is an "analogy."

    > > Nope. Because the situation is analogous when you claim a postive report
    > > about the Mac by a Wintel user is untrustworthy.

    > Again, nothing you claim as an analogy makes a damn bit of
    > difference. Support your claim or you are a liar.

    Scenario 1:

    I (a Mac advocate) post a report of a Wintel user's positive Mac
    experience (actually, more than one, but we'll let that go). You declare
    such reports as untrustworthy.

    Scenario 2:

    You, (a Mac detractor) post a report of a Mac user's positive Wintel
    experience.

    How is your post not analogous to mine, but with all the players
    reversed?

    > > > I'm not the guy who has a claim to defend. YOU ARE.

    > > > You stand branded a liar. AGAIN.

    > > LOL

    > The fact you're a bald-faced liar makes you laugh?

    LOL

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

  9. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 24, 12:48 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
    > In article <1190654864.218926.215...@o80g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    >

    > Edwin wrote:
    > > On Sep 24, 10:56 am, Alan Baker wrote:

    > > > Nope. Because the situation is analogous when you claim a postive report
    > > > about the Mac by a Wintel user is untrustworthy.

    > > Again, nothing you claim as an analogy makes a damn bit of
    > > difference. Support your claim or you are a liar.

    > Scenario 1:
    >
    > I (a Mac advocate) post a report of a Wintel user's positive Mac
    > experience (actually, more than one, but we'll let that go). You declare
    > such reports as untrustworthy.

    You haven't proved that, but it's irrelevant to this discussion, even
    if you could prove it.

    > Scenario 2:
    >
    > You, (a Mac detractor) post a report of a Mac user's positive Wintel
    > experience.

    No, I simply forward their posts to this group. Then you claim I
    call such reports untrustworthy, but you refuse to quote me doing
    that.

    > How is your post not analogous to mine, but with all the players
    > reversed?

    Your question is irrelevant.

    > > > LOL

    > > The fact you're a bald-faced liar makes you laugh?

    > LOL

    I'll take that as a "yes."

  10. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190657055.953430.83050@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.c om>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 12:48 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
    > > In article <1190654864.218926.215...@o80g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    > >

    > > Edwin wrote:

    > > > Again, nothing you claim as an analogy makes a damn bit of
    > > > difference. Support your claim or you are a liar.

    > > Scenario 1:
    > >
    > > I (a Mac advocate) post a report of a Wintel user's positive Mac
    > > experience (actually, more than one, but we'll let that go). You declare
    > > such reports as untrustworthy.

    > You haven't proved that, but it's irrelevant to this discussion, even
    > if you could prove it.
    >
    > > Scenario 2:
    > >
    > > You, (a Mac detractor) post a report of a Mac user's positive Wintel
    > > experience.

    > No, I simply forward their posts to this group. Then you claim I
    > call such reports untrustworthy, but you refuse to quote me doing
    > that.
    >
    > > How is your post not analogous to mine, but with all the players
    > > reversed?

    > Your question is irrelevant.

    The question is entirely relevant.

    When I post a positive experience with the Mac by a Wintel user, you
    call that untrustworthy, but when you post a positive experience with
    Wintel from a Mac user, you're implicitly saying you have no problem
    with its credibility.

    Why the difference, Edwin?

    > > > The fact you're a bald-faced liar makes you laugh?

    > > LOL

    > I'll take that as a "yes."

    LOL

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

  11. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 24, 1:09 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
    > In article <1190657055.953430.83...@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.c om>,
    >

    > Edwin wrote:
    > > On Sep 24, 12:48 pm, Alan Baker wrote:

    > > > Scenario 1:

    > > > I (a Mac advocate) post a report of a Wintel user's positive Mac
    > > > experience (actually, more than one, but we'll let that go). You declare
    > > > such reports as untrustworthy.

    > > You haven't proved that, but it's irrelevant to this discussion, even
    > > if you could prove it.

    > > > Scenario 2:

    > > > You, (a Mac detractor) post a report of a Mac user's positive Wintel
    > > > experience.

    > > No, I simply forward their posts to this group. Then you claim I
    > > call such reports untrustworthy, but you refuse to quote me doing
    > > that.

    > > > How is your post not analogous to mine, but with all the players
    > > > reversed?

    > > Your question is irrelevant.

    > The question is entirely relevant.

    No it isn't.

    > When I post a positive experience with the Mac by a Wintel user, you
    > call that untrustworthy,

    Irrelevant even if you could prove it.

    > but when you post a positive experience with
    > Wintel from a Mac user, you're implicitly saying you have no problem
    > with its credibility.

    What you think I "implicitly" said is irrelevant. Quote me saying
    such a post is "untrustworthy," or just add to your reputation for
    being a liar.

    > Why the difference, Edwin?

    Your claims of a difference are irrelevant to what you're obligated to
    prove, Alan.

    > > > LOL

    > > I'll take that as a "yes."

    > LOL

    Affirmation of the above.

  12. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190658363.929960.171290@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > > > You haven't proved that, but it's irrelevant to this discussion, even
    > > > if you could prove it.

    > > > No, I simply forward their posts to this group. Then you claim I
    > > > call such reports untrustworthy, but you refuse to quote me doing
    > > > that.

    > > > Your question is irrelevant.

    > > The question is entirely relevant.

    > No it isn't.
    >
    > > When I post a positive experience with the Mac by a Wintel user, you
    > > call that untrustworthy,

    > Irrelevant even if you could prove it.
    >
    > > but when you post a positive experience with
    > > Wintel from a Mac user, you're implicitly saying you have no problem
    > > with its credibility.

    > What you think I "implicitly" said is irrelevant. Quote me saying
    > such a post is "untrustworthy," or just add to your reputation for
    > being a liar.

    You said the same thing to me, only the positions of the players were
    reversed.

    > > Why the difference, Edwin?

    > Your claims of a difference are irrelevant to what you're obligated to
    > prove, Alan.

    Why won't you answer the question, Edwin?

    > > > I'll take that as a "yes."

    > > LOL

    > Affirmation of the above.

    LOL

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

  13. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article <1190632703.046113.75580@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.co m>,
    -hh wrote:

    Mark Conrad posted:
    > > Let's "knock" Dragon, that is a lot of fun.
    > >
    > > First off, I agree that if one has lots of expert touch-typists around,
    > > people who can listen to dictation directly and grind out accurate
    > > written reports at 60 to 100wpm, then the need for something like Dragon
    > > goes way down.

    -hh posted:
    > FWIW, this is not really the particular direction that I was thinking
    > about. I was thinking more along the lines of the individual doing
    > the content creation to be the typist - - particularly due to the
    > advent of the backspace key and online dictionaries, it isn't that
    > hard to hit 60wpm, and the reality is that if you're crafting as
    > you're going, then your "brain" isn't really going to be going much
    > faster than that anyway (and later, you'll probably hit copy/paste to
    > re-arrange your discussion).

    Ahh, gotcha, in other words the doctor herself doing her own typing.

    That would certainly _decrease_ her need to use Dragon, and there are
    definitely some doctors who are fast typists.

    Mark Conrad continued 'knocking' Dragon:
    > > That one percent inaccuracy of Dragon means that a lot of time has to be
    > > spent correcting the text, which generally cuts the overall speed in
    > > half.

    -hh observed along the same lines:
    > Or very roughly about the same as skipping the Dragon and just typing
    > directly :-)

    True enough, that all seems to indicate that there is no need at all to
    use Dragon, that typing can replace Dragon altogether, at least in the
    case of a doctor who is also an expert typist.

    Now, to thoroughly confuse this issue, I will don my hard-core Dragon
    advocate hat.

    Mini tirade advocating Dragon follows
    *************************************

    DO NOT READ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, AS DOING SO MIGHT CAUSE
    YOUR BELLY BUTTON TO FALL OUT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

    As you know, a person's speech is a transient thing, subject to
    many errors.

    Experiments are done to illustrate that point, various actors are
    employed to run down the isles of a large auditorium of students,
    shouting and shooting blanks from guns, other actors pretending to be
    hit by the gunfire, falling down "dead" etc.

    The actors clear out, then the students are asked to describe what
    happened.

    They can't, there is confusion about the number of "villains", what they
    were wearing, how many shots were fired, what the villains were shouting
    to each other, etc.

    Same with our doctor who is overworked, who commonly does many complex
    and intricate 'medical things' during her day, then has to remember and
    document what she did.

    Sure, she is a professional, trained to observe and 'remember' what she
    did, but even pros make mistakes, as evidenced by simple medical
    mistakes made (and subsequently covered up) in our hospitals.

    Let's divert to a branch of engineering instead of 'doctoring' to make a
    point, because you mentioned that engineering now tends to do away with
    dictation.

    Specifically the engineering of new computer systems.

    Our erstwhile engineer is slaving away, "engineering" his new type of
    computer system.

    I have him wired up with a tiny Sony recorder model ICD-MX20 which he
    has in his shirt pocket.

    Let's listen in to what he has to say to his fellow engineers, and to
    what he will have to document later, in text describing his engineering
    marvel.

    He espouses thusly, in part:

    We speculate that spontaneous destabilization involving
    spatiotemporal nonperiodicity (symmetry breaking) occurs
    in a macroscopically stochastic manner because collectively
    interacting actomyosins generate chaotic dynamics capable of
    amplifying intrinsic microscopic fluctuations to destabilize
    macroscopic conditions.

    SAY WHAT, GOOD GRIEF!

    That example text was grabbed at random from page 71 of my ACM magazine,
    september 2007 issue.

    I browbeat our hypothetical engineer "Fred" to use a few "Dragon tricks"
    to make my job easier - - - he actually said stuff like:

    nonperiodicity open parenthesis symmetry breaking close parenthesis

    His other engineer colleagues think he was weird, but he explained to
    them that some nutcase named Mark Conrad needed that punctuation stuff
    to help him, the engineer, get out of writing a text report later.

    Anyhow, that is my story and I am sticking with it.

    (BTW, that was the only weird punctuation our engineer used, other than
    saying "period" at the very end. The capitalized "W" of "We" at the
    very start was added automatically by Dragon)

    Now our engineer, "Fred", hands me his recorder at the end of his
    engineering day for conversion into text.

    He found out that I work cheap, minimum wage.

    I hook up his recorder to my MacBook Pro running Dragon in a Vista
    partition.

    Note: Just for kicks I actually recorded the 33 words in the above
    example myself. Dragon converted it to text WITHOUT ONE MISTAKE.

    Normally, with complex text like that, _some_ mistakes will occur.

    A larger example would definitely have some mistakes in it.

    Point is, that I, as an unskilled minimum wage transcriber, who does not
    know any engineering, can proficiently convert Fred's highly technical
    speech to text, with essentially very few remaining mistakes.

    All Fred has to do is proof read the final text, which is synchronized
    with his original audio by Dragon. In other words, Fred's original
    audio is synched with a moving pointer onscreen that 'dances' over the
    text.

    Doing that sort of proof reading with his hands behind his neck
    certainly beats pounding away on a word processor, which _still_ has
    to be proof read for mistakes.

    In fact, with the word processor, mistakes are much more liable to occur.

    Why? Because Fred has to _remember_ what he spoke earlier in the day.

    Even if he has a digital recording of his voice, it is very awkward to
    try to synchronize that recording to his reading of the text.

    What is the point of all this? Fred can concentrate on engineering,
    instead of wasting his time on a word processor.

    In a deadline pinch, if he trusts his minimum wage transcriber, he can
    even dispense with the final proof reading, although this is not
    advisable for obvious reasons.

    End of mini tirade, go back to your regularly scheduled program.

    Mark-

  14. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    >> > The question is entirely relevant.

    >> No it isn't.
    >>
    >> > When I post a positive experience with the Mac by a Wintel user, you
    >> > call that untrustworthy,

    >> Irrelevant even if you could prove it.
    >>
    >> > but when you post a positive experience with
    >> > Wintel from a Mac user, you're implicitly saying you have no problem
    >> > with its credibility.

    >> What you think I "implicitly" said is irrelevant. Quote me saying
    >> such a post is "untrustworthy," or just add to your reputation for
    >> being a liar.

    > You said the same thing to me, only the positions of the players were
    > reversed.

    Reread above.

    >> > Why the difference, Edwin?

    >> Your claims of a difference are irrelevant to what you're obligated to
    >> prove, Alan.

    > Why won't you answer the question, Edwin?

    You're the one who has something to answer to, not I, Alan.

    >> > LOL

    >> Affirmation of the above.

    > LOL

    So you lied when you claimed I said positive Wintel reports from Maccies are
    untrustworthy.

    Alan Baker is once again proved to be a liar.

    That wraps this up.

    --
    "Apple" is off-topic in comp.sys.MAC.advocacy. -- Sandman

  15. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    In article ,
    "Edwin" wrote:

    > >> Affirmation of the above.

    > > LOL

    > So you lied when you claimed I said positive Wintel reports from Maccies are
    > untrustworthy.
    >
    > Alan Baker is once again proved to be a liar.
    >
    > That wraps this up.

    LOL

    I never said that, Edwin.

    I could never have imagined that you wouldn't understand the term
    "analogy", but there you are...

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

  16. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    On Sep 30, 2007, Alan Baker wrote:
    > I could never have imagined that you wouldn't understand the term
    > "analogy", but there you are...

    His eyes stop at the letter ell.

  17. Re: Yah Vista, from a hard core Mac user

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    >> > LOL

    >> So you lied when you claimed I said positive Wintel reports from Maccies
    >> are
    >> untrustworthy.
    >>
    >> Alan Baker is once again proved to be a liar.
    >>
    >> That wraps this up.

    > LOL
    >
    > I never said that, Edwin.

    Yes you did, you bald-faced liar.

    > I could never have imagined that you wouldn't understand the term
    > "analogy", but there you are...

    I have no trouble understanding the term. It doesn't mean providing the