What Operating System/Computer will you be using next year? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on What Operating System/Computer will you be using next year? - Microsoft Windows ; http://www.mineopine.com/?q=node/7...

  1. What Operating System/Computer will you be using next year?

  2. Re: What Operating System/Computer will you be using next year?

    They are giving summary results, and at the time of this posting
    12/9/2005 6:00 PM, it seems to be a dead heat between Windows, Linux,
    and Mac OS/X.

    It's beginning to look like most users next year will be using a
    COMBINATION of Windows and Linux. Tools like VMWare Player - with the
    browser appliance are making it possible to add Linux functions to
    Windows machines with minimial effort.

    Linux is clearly making it MUCH easier to run Windows as the client.

    The good news for Microsoft is that they will still be selling lots of
    OEM licenses to vendors. The bad news is that OEMs will probably want
    much more control over ad content. The OEMs are now aware that Linux
    support is a feature that reduces price erosion. HP has taken the lead
    - they aren't waiting for Microsoft to ship 64 bit Windows, they are
    shipping AMD-64 machines and making sure that they can run Linux with
    minimal installation effort - and everything works.

    Novell/SuSE has figured out that it has a winner as well. Linux
    revenues are up 400% year over year which means they are getting five
    times more revenue from Linux this year than they were last year. Even
    if they only continued a 20%/month growth rate for the next 24 months,
    Novell would be selling over $1 billion in Linux revenues.

    Ubuntu has also became a remarkable player in the desktop market.
    Their "LiveCD" solution lets you run Linux without having to hack up
    the hard drive. At the same time, it provides the tools to install
    Linux as the main operating system and still be able to run Windows as
    a "Client" under VMware, or Xen.

    More and more ISVs are testing their applications on WINE, to make sure
    that Linux users can install and run applications like Lotus Notes, and
    Quicken under WINE/Crossover. Not only did Linux make a better Unix
    than Unix, but they have also cooked up a better Windows than Windows.

    Mac is also no surprise. The big challenge for apple is maintianing
    competitive innovations and pricing. OS/X is great, but it's still a
    single-vendor solution. Ironically, one of the advantages Windows had
    over the years is support from nearly all of the major OEMs. Linux is
    beginning to enjoy this same support because nobody is being excluded.

    Windows 30%
    Linux 30% - both Windows and Linux on the same boxes.
    Mac 30%

  3. Re: What Operating System/Computer will you be using next year?

    r.e.ballard@usa.net wrote:
    > They are giving summary results, and at the time of this posting
    > 12/9/2005 6:00 PM, it seems to be a dead heat between Windows, Linux,
    > and Mac OS/X.
    >
    > It's beginning to look like most users next year will be using a
    > COMBINATION of Windows and Linux. Tools like VMWare Player - with the
    > browser appliance are making it possible to add Linux functions to
    > Windows machines with minimial effort.

    [snip]

    > Windows 30%
    > Linux 30% - both Windows and Linux on the same boxes.
    > Mac 30%

    There's no way I'm going to believe 60% of computer users are
    abandoning Windows next year.

    It looks to me like the survey is skewed due to flooding by Mac and
    Linux advocates.

  4. Re: What Operating System/Computer will you be using next year?

    --
    "Always do the right thing: It will delight / Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies
    some and astound the rest" - Mark Twain / Psychotronic protection, low prices

+ Reply to Thread