Re: Linux for Pro Audio Work? How to Lose Clients FAST!!! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: Linux for Pro Audio Work? How to Lose Clients FAST!!! - Microsoft Windows ; "Connie Hines" wrote: [delete] > Am I missing something? Almost everything, actually. I don't care about "clients" at all. Most Linux runners don't. We are _amateurs_. Hobbyists. We are fascinated by the computer and the Internet and run Linux because ...

  1. Re: Linux for Pro Audio Work? How to Lose Clients FAST!!!

    "Connie Hines" wrote:

    [delete]

    > Am I missing something?

    Almost everything, actually.

    I don't care about "clients" at all. Most Linux runners don't.

    We are _amateurs_. Hobbyists. We are fascinated by the computer
    and the Internet and run Linux because it is the best Operating
    System in the world.

    We aren't interested in competing with M$. We don't care whether
    office drones or spoiled consumers use Linux or not.

    If you want anyone to take your opinions on Linux seriously, then
    present evidence here that you have installed it on your machine
    (which any grade-schooler can do) and have worked with it for a
    few months.

    Otherwise, your opinions on the subject simply have no meaning.

    Any dimwitted juvenile delinquent with their mommy's
    computer can post **** on the Usenet.

    It means nothing at all.

    Except that they are dimwitted juvenile delinquents whose
    mommys have computers.

    Joe Linux

  2. Re: Linux for Pro Audio Work? How to Lose Clients FAST!!!

    Joe Linux wrote:
    > "Connie Hines" wrote:
    >
    > [delete]
    >

    >>Am I missing something?

    > Almost everything, actually.
    >
    > I don't care about "clients" at all. Most Linux runners don't.
    >
    > We are _amateurs_. Hobbyists. We are fascinated by the computer
    > and the Internet and run Linux because it is the best Operating
    > System in the world.

    In this context, "best" can only mean for amateurs who are fascinated by
    the innards of technology and like to tinker with things. This is the
    exact opposite profile to a consumer, and thus, Linux is clearly the
    worst OS available for consumers. The level of HW support and
    ease-of-use I'm seeing on Ubuntu is not much more than complete ****.
    I'm just thinking that by the time I get done applying the elbow grease,
    it'll all work and will be sunk cost.

    > We aren't interested in competing with M$. We don't care whether
    > office drones or spoiled consumers use Linux or not.

    Sure, that's a reasonable working definition of "amateur."

    > If you want anyone to take your opinions on Linux seriously, then
    > present evidence here that you have installed it on your machine
    > (which any grade-schooler can do) and have worked with it for a
    > few months.

    I did Linux for 3 years from 1993 to 1996. I am unimpressed by the
    current state of HW detection, setup, and support. The media hype
    around Linux had led me to believe that things had gotten substantially
    better. From where I sit, Linux is only halfway to where the media
    currently says it is.

    --
    Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
    Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

    On Usenet, if you're not an open source hippie who
    likes to download and play with programming toys
    all day long, there's something wrong with you.

  3. Re: Linux for Pro Audio Work? How to Lose Clients FAST!!!

    "Brandon J. Van Every" wrote:

    > Joe Linux wrote:
    >
    >> "Connie Hines" wrote:
    >>
    >> [delete]
    >>

    >>>Am I missing something?

    >> Almost everything, actually.
    >>
    >> I don't care about "clients" at all. Most Linux runners don't.
    >>
    >> We are _amateurs_. Hobbyists. We are fascinated by the
    >> computer and the Internet and run Linux because it is the best
    >> Operating System in the world.

    > In this context, "best" can only mean for amateurs who are
    > fascinated by the innards of technology and like to tinker with
    > things. This is the exact opposite profile to a consumer, and
    > thus, Linux is clearly the worst OS available for consumers.

    Can't you READ?!

    Most Linux runners don't CARE whether consumers like it or not.

    This is IRRELEVANT.

    You Windoze Weenies have such incredibly fat heads.

    You think that we are trying to compete with your ****ty OS,
    that we are playing the same game as you are.

    WRONG

    WRONG

    WRONG

    Anyone can use any OS they want to. We couldn't care less.

    If they want to learn how to run Linux, and are willing to
    actually do some homework, then we'll help them.

    Otherwise, we don't give a flying **** what they think.

    There ARE some Linux folks that are trying to compete
    with Windows, but they are in the minority.

    They are sellouts, and most of us don't support them.

    You just hear about them a lot because they are into
    the commercial thing and have to get in everyone's faces.

    The REAL linux runners don't use their software. We don't have
    to. There are hundreds of Linux distros out there. All the good
    ones, the vast majority, are completely free and open source.
    Tens of thousands of applications are available on demand, free
    and open source.

    You can use Windows if you want. I consider it to be a virus
    and won't allow it on any of my machines.

    As for you running Linux for several years (which he claims
    in the deleted part)?

    I don't believe you.

    No one could run Linux for several years and go back to Windows.

    It would be like trading your airplane for a donkey.

    [delete]

    Joe Linux

+ Reply to Thread