OS Wars, Episide X.4 - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on OS Wars, Episide X.4 - Microsoft Windows ; The force has revealed the following: 1. Apple is first to release a cool OS (actually you can replace OS with pretty much anything... come on, what it surprise you if Apple came out with iShave?). They believe that first ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

  1. OS Wars, Episide X.4

    The force has revealed the following:

    1. Apple is first to release a cool OS (actually you can replace OS
    with pretty much anything... come on, what it surprise you if Apple
    came out with iShave?). They believe that first to market is first to
    margin.

    2. Microsoft copies Apple or tries to and then announces to the world
    that they invented it (actually you can replace Apple with pretty much
    anyone inventing remotely interesting stuff). It's the
    you-show-me-yours-and-then-I'll-show-you-mine approach to the OS
    business. R&D is so much easier when your competitors work out all the
    bugs. They believe that pretending they invented it enough times will
    gain market share. And they are right. They will call it Smooth. In
    addition to the army of lawyers at our beloved Redmond castle, there
    are super-genius marketers who are really good at nomenclature and can
    think more different than "i."

    3. Open Source & Co. continues to argue about whether to prefix Linux
    with "GNU/" which results in yet more forking. This will eventually
    lead to best coder to OS ratio that the world has ever seen. Someone
    will successfully install Linux into iShave and that hacker's server
    will be slashdotted leading to insightful comments on /. like,"I hope
    iShave isn't serving up that site" and "imagine a Beowulf cluster of
    these" and "I for one welcome our grooming overlords."

    4. On CSMA [comp.sys.mac.advocacy], the drama continues with someone
    reminding us all that there are still bugs in iShave and why they
    wouldn't buy iShave and how they might buy a Smooth and Snit will
    continue to be attacked by half a dozen people's signature lines for
    reasons long forgotten or never known and we will get yet another
    friendly reminder asking us if we have accepted J.C. as our supreme
    ruler.

    5. Spoiler alert! Do not read the next point if you do want to wait
    for the movie! You have been warned!

    6. Torvalds discovers that Gates is his father and Jobs is his
    long-lost sister.

    CharlesJo.com
    New Writers for The New New Media

    Source:
    http://www.charlesjo.com/newsletteri...ueEntityId=285

  2. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In article <1115356298.615331.84030@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    charlesjo@gmail.com says...
    > The force has revealed the following:
    >
    > 1. Apple is first to release a cool OS

    No OS/2 actually met that description when it was first released.
    Compared to its peers at the time, it was "way cool, d00d, w00t".

    > 2. Microsoft copies Apple or tries to and then announces to the world
    > that they invented it (actually you can replace Apple with pretty much
    > anyone inventing remotely interesting stuff).

    Don't make me bring up Xerox PARC. :-)

    > It's the
    > you-show-me-yours-and-then-I'll-show-you-mine approach to the OS
    > business. R&D is so much easier when your competitors work out all the
    > bugs.

    You mean design & implementation, not bugs. Apple fixing their bugs
    in their code base will not do MS any good at all, unless they release
    it open source or MS gets a copy of the source some other way.

    > They believe that pretending they invented it enough times will
    > gain market share. And they are right. They will call it Smooth. In
    > addition to the army of lawyers at our beloved Redmond castle, there
    > are super-genius marketers who are really good at nomenclature and can
    > think more different than "i."

    Yeah, Apple is getting a bit stale with the whole I* routine.

    > 3. Open Source & Co. continues to argue about whether to prefix Linux
    > with "GNU/" which results in yet more forking.

    That's primarily just RMS being his usual insane self. Not sure why
    that has any effect on "forking".

    > 6. Torvalds discovers that Gates is his father and Jobs is his
    > long-lost sister.

    Although I can easily see SJ as a cross-dresser, you best be careful,
    or Linus or one of his sycophants might take a contract out on you
    for saying the part about his parentage.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    "If the evidence doesn't seem to fit a particular conspiracy theory,

  3. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    I forgot to add point 7:

    7. Randy Howard will strike back with a reply within 5 seconds of
    anyone's posts on CSMA

    CharlesJo.com
    Experiment in Media

    Randy Howard wrote:
    > In article <1115356298.615331.84030@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    > charlesjo@gmail.com says...
    > > The force has revealed the following:
    > >
    > > 1. Apple is first to release a cool OS

    > No OS/2 actually met that description when it was first released.
    > Compared to its peers at the time, it was "way cool, d00d, w00t".
    >
    > > 2. Microsoft copies Apple or tries to and then announces to the

    world
    > > that they invented it (actually you can replace Apple with pretty

    much
    > > anyone inventing remotely interesting stuff).

    > Don't make me bring up Xerox PARC. :-)
    >
    > > It's the
    > > you-show-me-yours-and-then-I'll-show-you-mine approach to the OS
    > > business. R&D is so much easier when your competitors work out all

    the
    > > bugs.

    > You mean design & implementation, not bugs. Apple fixing their bugs
    > in their code base will not do MS any good at all, unless they

    release
    > it open source or MS gets a copy of the source some other way.
    >
    > > They believe that pretending they invented it enough times will
    > > gain market share. And they are right. They will call it Smooth.

    In
    > > addition to the army of lawyers at our beloved Redmond castle,

    there
    > > are super-genius marketers who are really good at nomenclature and

    can
    > > think more different than "i."

    > Yeah, Apple is getting a bit stale with the whole I* routine.
    >
    > > 3. Open Source & Co. continues to argue about whether to prefix

    Linux
    > > with "GNU/" which results in yet more forking.

    > That's primarily just RMS being his usual insane self. Not sure why
    > that has any effect on "forking".
    >
    > > 6. Torvalds discovers that Gates is his father and Jobs is his
    > > long-lost sister.

    > Although I can easily see SJ as a cross-dresser, you best be careful,
    > or Linus or one of his sycophants might take a contract out on you
    > for saying the part about his parentage.
    >
    > --
    > Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    > "If the evidence doesn't seem to fit a particular conspiracy theory,
    > just create a bigger conspiracy theory." --Robert D. Hicks

  4. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In article <1115357259.143400.183200@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    charlesjo@gmail.com says...
    > I forgot to add point 7:
    >
    > 7. Randy Howard will strike back with a reply within 5 seconds of
    > anyone's posts on CSMA

    Yeah well, that'll change when the mac shows up tomorrow.

  5. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    Charles Jo wrote:
    > The force has revealed the following:
    >
    > 1. Apple is first to release a cool OS (actually you can replace OS
    > with pretty much anything... come on, what it surprise you if Apple
    > came out with iShave?).

    Yes, and it would be based on a patent $teve Job$ held from some old
    consulting company that went belly up and was erased from all the
    newspapers, and which he now sold back to apple so he gets $10 per
    iShave and it costs 4x more and can only be sold at the Apple store, but
    every macintard will buy one because last month they bought the 10.4 and
    month before that the mini and month before that the Shuffle -- hey,
    it's hte goddam Franlin Mint framed in beechwood, with crome ballustrades.

    > super-genius marketers who are really good at nomenclature and can
    > think more different than "i."

    Sure, like inventing .Net so they could sell VS.NET at $30000000 per
    licnese or whatever because they know that dumbass Mause Programmers
    couldn't hand code a proxy stub if they held a gun to their heads.

    > like,"I hope
    > iShave isn't serving up that site" and "imagine a Beowulf cluster of
    > these" and "I for one welcome our grooming overlords."

    That's deadly funny. And deadly true.

    > 4. On CSMA [comp.sys.mac.advocacy], the drama continues with someone
    > reminding us all that there are still bugs in iShave and why they
    > wouldn't buy iShave and how they might buy a Smooth and Snit will
    > continue to be attacked by half a dozen people's signature lines for
    > reasons long forgotten or never known and we will get yet another
    > friendly reminder asking us if we have accepted J.C. as our supreme
    > ruler.

    We would put our X-iShave on bitttorent...one socket gives the blade,
    the other the AC adapter...this way we can escape paying $teve Job$ the
    $10 licensing fee.

    > 5. Spoiler alert! Do not read the next point if you do want to wait
    > for the movie! You have been warned!

    Go for it.

    > 6. Torvalds discovers that Gates is his father and Jobs is his
    > long-lost sister.

    Papa Dearest. No wonder Little Linus is afraid of clothes hangers...

    --
    Texeme Construct
    http://texeme.com

  6. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    So... you'll respond in 3 seconds?

    CharlesJo.com
    G5 is pretty fast

    Randy Howard wrote:
    > In article <1115357259.143400.183200@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > charlesjo@gmail.com says...
    > > I forgot to add point 7:
    > >
    > > 7. Randy Howard will strike back with a reply within 5 seconds of
    > > anyone's posts on CSMA

    > Yeah well, that'll change when the mac shows up tomorrow.

  7. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    I do not have a problem with Apple or Microsoft making money on their
    wares as long the the quality is high and it increases our
    productivity. Where it bugs me is when the price impedes students,
    small software shops, developing countries and anyone else who can't
    afford these tools to aid in their growth. I believe that open source
    is a good alternative to rememdy this problem.

    CharlesJo.com
    Good tech deserves good reward

    John Bailo wrote:
    > Charles Jo wrote:
    > > The force has revealed the following:
    > >
    > > 1. Apple is first to release a cool OS (actually you can replace OS
    > > with pretty much anything... come on, what it surprise you if Apple
    > > came out with iShave?).

    > Yes, and it would be based on a patent $teve Job$ held from some old
    > consulting company that went belly up and was erased from all the
    > newspapers, and which he now sold back to apple so he gets $10 per
    > iShave and it costs 4x more and can only be sold at the Apple store,

    but
    > every macintard will buy one because last month they bought the 10.4

    and
    > month before that the mini and month before that the Shuffle -- hey,
    > it's hte goddam Franlin Mint framed in beechwood, with crome

    ballustrades.

    > > super-genius marketers who are really good at nomenclature and can
    > > think more different than "i."

    > Sure, like inventing .Net so they could sell VS.NET at $30000000 per
    > licnese or whatever because they know that dumbass Mause Programmers
    > couldn't hand code a proxy stub if they held a gun to their heads.
    >
    > > like,"I hope
    > > iShave isn't serving up that site" and "imagine a Beowulf cluster

    of
    > > these" and "I for one welcome our grooming overlords."

    > That's deadly funny. And deadly true.
    >

    > > 4. On CSMA [comp.sys.mac.advocacy], the drama continues with

    someone
    > > reminding us all that there are still bugs in iShave and why they
    > > wouldn't buy iShave and how they might buy a Smooth and Snit will
    > > continue to be attacked by half a dozen people's signature lines

    for
    > > reasons long forgotten or never known and we will get yet another
    > > friendly reminder asking us if we have accepted J.C. as our supreme
    > > ruler.

    > We would put our X-iShave on bitttorent...one socket gives the blade,

    > the other the AC adapter...this way we can escape paying $teve Job$

    the
    > $10 licensing fee.
    >
    > > 5. Spoiler alert! Do not read the next point if you do want to

    wait
    > > for the movie! You have been warned!

    > Go for it.
    >
    > > 6. Torvalds discovers that Gates is his father and Jobs is his
    > > long-lost sister.

    > Papa Dearest. No wonder Little Linus is afraid of clothes hangers...
    >
    > --
    > Texeme Construct
    > http://texeme.com

  8. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Fri, 06 May 2005 07:41:09 -0500
    <4dpm715vulcf71a94r6k030s38a9qdftkn@4ax.com>:
    > Randy Howard wrote:
    >
    >>In article <1115356298.615331.84030@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    >>charlesjo@gmail.com says...
    >>> The force has revealed the following:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Apple is first to release a cool OS

    >>No OS/2 actually met that description when it was first released.
    >>Compared to its peers at the time, it was "way cool, d00d, w00t".

    > AmigaDOS was the first "cool" desktop OS. Multitasking, baby!

    Well, the first few releases were a bit buggy (1.2 was usable,
    but in 1.0 and 1.1 the Guru visited often). :-)

    Nevertheless, I've yet to see the multiple resolution
    screen concept on any other 'puter. (Apple might have come
    close, though; I'd have to look. No, mode switching and
    xmag don't quite count here. :-) )

    And of course European hackers had a field day -- in a good way --
    making all sorts of demos. I think this was mid-to-late 80's,
    before Windows Took Over Just About Everything(tm).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  9. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In article ,
    Randy Howard wrote:

    > In article <1115356298.615331.84030@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    > charlesjo@gmail.com says...
    > > The force has revealed the following:
    > >
    > > 1. Apple is first to release a cool OS

    > No OS/2 actually met that description when it was first released.
    > Compared to its peers at the time, it was "way cool, d00d, w00t".

    No. The Mac OS was cool when it was released in 1984. It had all kinds of
    features that it took a while to appear in other microcomputers. OS/2 was half
    an operating system deisgned to run non half a computer: "Yesterday's hardware
    today; today's software tomorrow."

    > > 2. Microsoft copies Apple or tries to and then announces to the world
    > > that they invented it (actually you can replace Apple with pretty much
    > > anyone inventing remotely interesting stuff).

    > Don't make me bring up Xerox PARC. :-)

    Don't make me retort that Xerox PARC *invited* Steve and engineers from Apple to
    come over and have a look at what they were doing once they found out that Apple
    was also at work on something similar. And don't make me remind you that lots of
    PARC employees quit to work at Apple so they could actually ship something.

    > > It's the
    > > you-show-me-yours-and-then-I'll-show-you-mine approach to the OS
    > > business. R&D is so much easier when your competitors work out all the
    > > bugs.

    > You mean design & implementation, not bugs. Apple fixing their bugs
    > in their code base will not do MS any good at all, unless they release
    > it open source or MS gets a copy of the source some other way.

    What you say is true, but you should consider that Apple gave Microsoft copies
    off Inside Macintosh which told them pretty much how to write a GUI-based OS.
    (What's remarkable is that it still took Microsoft six years to get it anywhere
    close to right.)

    > > They believe that pretending they invented it enough times will
    > > gain market share. And they are right. They will call it Smooth. In
    > > addition to the army of lawyers at our beloved Redmond castle, there
    > > are super-genius marketers who are really good at nomenclature and can
    > > think more different than "i."

    > Yeah, Apple is getting a bit stale with the whole I* routine.

    Man, they sure are. All those new products, such as Garage Band, Airport,
    Xserve, Mini, and Shuffle are really overdoing the whole i* thing.

    > > 3. Open Source & Co. continues to argue about whether to prefix Linux
    > > with "GNU/" which results in yet more forking.

    > That's primarily just RMS being his usual insane self. Not sure why
    > that has any effect on "forking".
    >
    > > 6. Torvalds discovers that Gates is his father and Jobs is his
    > > long-lost sister.

    > Although I can easily see SJ as a cross-dresser, you best be careful,
    > or Linus or one of his sycophants might take a contract out on you
    > for saying the part about his parentage.

    What a masterful job you did of discrediting those mean comments -- one might
    almost believe you took them seriously. }: )

    --
    Timberwoof http://www.timberwoof.com
    If Macintosh is a luxury cruise ship,

  10. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In article ,
    Timberwoof wrote:

    > What you say is true, but you should consider that Apple gave Microsoft
    > copies
    > off Inside Macintosh which told them pretty much how to write a GUI-based OS.
    > (What's remarkable is that it still took Microsoft six years to get it
    > anywhere
    > close to right.)

    Actually, what's remarkable is that you consider that to be remarkable.
    Microsoft has shown a propensity for taking longer than any rational
    person would expect them to take to complete virtually all of their
    projects.

  11. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In article ,
    TravelinMan wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Timberwoof wrote:
    >

    > > What you say is true, but you should consider that Apple gave Microsoft
    > > copies
    > > off Inside Macintosh which told them pretty much how to write a GUI-based
    > > OS.
    > > (What's remarkable is that it still took Microsoft six years to get it
    > > anywhere
    > > close to right.)

    > Actually, what's remarkable is that you consider that to be remarkable.
    > Microsoft has shown a propensity for taking longer than any rational
    > person would expect them to take to complete virtually all of their
    > projects.

    That's because the hire summer interns to build their crap for them. Don't get
    me started on the quality of Microsoft software, especially what they supply to
    third-party vendors. If everybody weren't using Microsoft crap, nobody would be
    using it. What's amazing is that although just about everybody acknowledges how
    badly it sucks, nobody dares to get away from it for fear of losing
    compatibility with everybody else.

    That seems to be a good example of mass hysteria.

    --
    Timberwoof http://www.timberwoof.com
    If Macintosh is a luxury cruise ship,
    then Linux is a freighter with wood paneling in the officers' quarters.

  12. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In news:timberwoof-0F1A43.20370106052005@typhoon.sonic.net,
    Timberwoof typed:

    > Don't get me started on the quality of Microsoft software, especially
    > what they supply to third-party vendors. If everybody weren't using
    > Microsoft crap, nobody would be using it.

    so what got everyone using it?

    > What's amazing is that
    > although just about everybody acknowledges how badly it sucks, nobody
    > dares to get away from it for fear of losing compatibility with
    > everybody else.
    >
    > That seems to be a good example of mass hysteria.

    nah, MS actually makes some pretty good stuff that everyone likes to rag on;
    take Excel for example- everyone likes to say what a piece of junk it is,
    but is there anything else as good in it's category? nope.

  13. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In article ,
    "ed" wrote:

    > In news:timberwoof-0F1A43.20370106052005@typhoon.sonic.net,
    > Timberwoof typed:
    >
    > > Don't get me started on the quality of Microsoft software, especially
    > > what they supply to third-party vendors. If everybody weren't using
    > > Microsoft crap, nobody would be using it.

    > so what got everyone using it?

    "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."

    In the early days of the PC market, you have Apple on one side, and the
    huge, established, powerful IBM on the other. When IBM came out with
    the PC, large corporations bought them (often because IBM had sold them
    all of their Big Iron) in massive numbers.

    If someone at IBM hadn't screwed up and allowed Microsoft to keep the
    rights to MS-DOS, the history of the computer industry would have been
    vastly different for the last 25 years.

    --
    I don't have a lifestyle.
    I have a lifeCSS.

  14. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In news:cirby-2BA250.00000007052005@news-server2.tampabay.rr.com,
    Chad Irby typed:
    > In article ,
    > "ed" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:timberwoof-0F1A43.20370106052005@typhoon.sonic.net,
    >> Timberwoof typed:
    >>
    >>> Don't get me started on the quality of Microsoft software,
    >>> especially what they supply to third-party vendors. If everybody
    >>> weren't using Microsoft crap, nobody would be using it.

    >> so what got everyone using it?

    > "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."
    >
    > In the early days of the PC market, you have Apple on one side, and
    > the huge, established, powerful IBM on the other. When IBM came out
    > with the PC, large corporations bought them (often because IBM had
    > sold them all of their Big Iron) in massive numbers.
    >
    > If someone at IBM hadn't screwed up and allowed Microsoft to keep the
    > rights to MS-DOS, the history of the computer industry would have been
    > vastly different for the last 25 years.

    that's all nice, except it ignores:
    1- given that logic, we should all be using os/2
    2- the software that everyone uses, including mac users, includes office,
    which ibm never had a hand in

  15. Re: OS Wars, Episode X.4

    Marathon programming method was a good excuse to create MS Project.
    BTW, Notepad is so much faster on my P4 than the old P2.

    CharlesJo.com
    We Californians like thinks wrapped: burritos, egg/springs rolls,
    sushi/sashimi, ssam

    TravelinMan wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Timberwoof wrote:
    >

    > > What you say is true, but you should consider that Apple gave

    Microsoft
    > > copies
    > > off Inside Macintosh which told them pretty much how to write a

    GUI-based OS.
    > > (What's remarkable is that it still took Microsoft six years to get

    it
    > > anywhere
    > > close to right.)

    > Actually, what's remarkable is that you consider that to be

    remarkable.
    > Microsoft has shown a propensity for taking longer than any rational
    > person would expect them to take to complete virtually all of their
    > projects.

  16. Re: OS Wars, Episode X.4

    I think this trend happens beyond computing

    CharlesJo.com
    Gmail is pretty cool

    Timberwoof wrote:
    > What's amazing is that although just about everybody acknowledges how

    > badly it sucks, nobody dares to get away from it for fear of losing
    > compatibility with everybody else.
    >
    > That seems to be a good example of mass hysteria.

  17. Re: OS Wars, Episode X.4

    We were exposed to Lotus' 2nd generation spreadsheet on NeXT boxes in
    college and man that was some really cool spreadsheeting. I forgot
    what it was called but it had all kinds of features that I don't think
    Excel has yet, 10+ years later.

    CharlesJo.com
    NeXT was pretty cool

    ed wrote:
    > nah, MS actually makes some pretty good stuff that everyone likes to

    rag on;
    > take Excel for example- everyone likes to say what a piece of junk it

    is,
    > but is there anything else as good in it's category? nope.

  18. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    In article <_4Xee.14004$J12.531@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    "ed" wrote:

    > In news:cirby-2BA250.00000007052005@news-server2.tampabay.rr.com,
    > Chad Irby typed:
    > >
    > > "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."
    > >
    > > In the early days of the PC market, you have Apple on one side, and
    > > the huge, established, powerful IBM on the other. When IBM came out
    > > with the PC, large corporations bought them (often because IBM had
    > > sold them all of their Big Iron) in massive numbers.
    > >
    > > If someone at IBM hadn't screwed up and allowed Microsoft to keep the
    > > rights to MS-DOS, the history of the computer industry would have been
    > > vastly different for the last 25 years.

    > that's all nice, except it ignores:
    > 1- given that logic, we should all be using os/2

    By the point OS/2 came out, the mass of buyers had already made the
    market mutate to the point that the driving force wasn't IBM, but "IBM
    clones + MS-DOS." This isn't a single-event process, but a moderately
    fast evolution.

    > 2- the software that everyone uses, including mac users, includes office,
    > which ibm never had a hand in

    Those all came well after the market had developed sufficient inertia to
    the point where "everyone was using DOS."

    --
    I don't have a lifestyle.
    I have a lifeCSS.

  19. Re: OS Wars, Episide X.4

    Chad Irby wrote:
    > In article <_4Xee.14004$J12.531@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    > "ed" wrote:
    >
    > > In news:cirby-2BA250.00000007052005@news-server2.tampabay.rr.com,
    > > Chad Irby typed:
    > > >
    > > > "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."
    > > >
    > > > In the early days of the PC market, you have Apple on one side,

    and
    > > > the huge, established, powerful IBM on the other. When IBM came

    out
    > > > with the PC, large corporations bought them (often because IBM

    had
    > > > sold them all of their Big Iron) in massive numbers.
    > > >
    > > > If someone at IBM hadn't screwed up and allowed Microsoft to keep

    the
    > > > rights to MS-DOS, the history of the computer industry would have

    been
    > > > vastly different for the last 25 years.

    > > that's all nice, except it ignores:
    > > 1- given that logic, we should all be using os/2

    > By the point OS/2 came out, the mass of buyers had already made the
    > market mutate to the point that the driving force wasn't IBM, but

    "IBM
    > clones + MS-DOS." This isn't a single-event process, but a

    moderately
    > fast evolution.

    os/2 came out in the late 80's; the battle was hardly done by then,
    and people were hardly using ms software simply because everyone else
    was. at that point, os/2 was out, dr-dos was competitive, apple was a
    relatively big player, etc...

    > > 2- the software that everyone uses, including mac users, includes

    office,
    > > which ibm never had a hand in

    > Those all came well after the market had developed sufficient inertia

    > the point where "everyone was using DOS."

    so why did everyone start using office, since everyone was using
    wordperfect and lotus 1-2-3 (on dos)? obviously not everyone started
    using excel because everyone else was using excel, because they
    weren't.

  20. Re: OS Wars, Episode X.4

    Charles Jo wrote:
    > We were exposed to Lotus' 2nd generation spreadsheet on NeXT boxes in
    > college and man that was some really cool spreadsheeting. I forgot
    > what it was called but it had all kinds of features that I don't

    think
    > Excel has yet, 10+ years later.

    like what?

+ Reply to Thread