Re: Dissertation on the uselessness of Linux zealots - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: Dissertation on the uselessness of Linux zealots - Microsoft Windows ; Will wrote: > self-abnegation You've been watching too many reruns of Bewitched. -- Your Free Insult: Thou gibbeting, foretokening, tinny fruit custard stewing crutch....

  1. Re: Dissertation on the uselessness of Linux zealots

    --
    Your Free Insult: Thou gibbeting, foretokening, tinny fruit custard stewing crutch.

  2. Re: Dissertation on the uselessness of Linux zealots

    Ben Measures wrote:

    > 2.) I wanted many other people to read it so that:
    > a.) I might become famous (wheeee!)

    I understand it was a joke, and I appreciated it, but I've come to the
    conclusion that these posts are only read by a tiny minority of people.
    That's one reason why I seldom respond to these trolls. Not enough people
    read the original and not enough read the response.

    I doubt the average Linux user actually visits these newsgroups very often,
    let alone people on other operating systems, because the people here are
    those that have a problem or those that want to help. If you don't have a
    problem, as most Linux users don't, you probably won't be subscribing.
    Saying that I noted that this is cross-posted to some Windows groups. That
    means in one sense that trolling is self-defeating for the troll.

    Trolls who put a lot of effort into what they're writing, as this one, are
    wasting their time if they think they'll have a measurable effect on
    people--beyond getting into arguments, which is all some of them want. The
    "bad child" syndrome. Very immature.

    I'm of the opinion that if you mention the word "newsgroups" or "Usenet" to
    the average person, they won't know what you're talking about.

    I suspect some of these trolls are being paid to write this stuff. There was
    one recently that was well-written, subtle and even a bit humorous, leading
    me to believe it was professionally crafted. In the Linux advocacy
    newsgroup, which I no longer visit, there were trolls in there who posted
    hundreds of times a month, sometimes using more than one name, at all hours
    of the day and night. I can't imagine who would put in that much work if
    they weren't being paid--unless they were just plain borderline insane.

    Anyway Ben, I liked what you wrote and I appreciated it. But I've concluded
    that fighting trolls isn't worth the effort. I rarely even look at anything
    that smells of trolls.

    --Rod

    Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
    and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
    http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

    To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

+ Reply to Thread